Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New Kx and lens question.

Hello everyone. I've been away from the forum for a while, but there's so much great information here, I wanted to tap your collective brains.
I currently own a K100D with several of the DA series lenses, including the DA 18-55 kit lens. I just purchased a Kx camera (not here yet) with a DA-L 18-55 kit lens with the idea that I'd use my K100d for work (I'm a building designer) and the Kx for personal use. I like landscape and architectural photography.
On to my question. Which lens should I use for the Kx? Keep the DA series lens for use on the Kx, or go ahead and use the DA-L it comes with? I know the "L" stands for "Limited", but I can't tell in what way. Which lens is better? I don't need a really great lens for work, so which ever is the better lens is the one I want for personal use. I've searched the forum and read the reviews for both lenses but need some comparison between the two lenses. Thanks for your help.

03-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Umm...

I might be wrong on this but I thought the DA limited are identified as DA*
And DA L lens are the ones that come from the Kit with the camera body.

The DA L lens are plastic mount, do not have quick shift technology, and are not weatherproof. While the DA* (limited) lens have all of that extra goodies.

I might be wrong though.
03-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Moved to Lens forum this question isn't about the camera.

OP, please be careful where you start threads. Thanks.
03-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the L in DA L doesn't really stand for anything, but it does mean "super cheap version". It has a plastic lens mount, no included lens hood, and some other budget features.

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
I might be wrong on this but I thought the DA limited are identified as DA*
And DA L lens are the ones that come from the Kit with the camera body.
Yes, you're incorrect. DA* and DA Limited and DA L are 3 completely different things.

03-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Moved to Lens forum this question isn't about the camera.

OP, please be careful where you start threads. Thanks.
Thanks for putting the thread in the proper forum. I was undecided if I should put it in the lens or camera forums. I was thinking it was more of a compatibility issue between the lens and camera.

As for which lens to use, it sounds like the lens coming with the new camera will be used for work. Thanks.
03-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The "L" probably stands for lightweight. Anyhow, check out the sticky thread at the top of this very forum on the differences between the various kit lenses. Assuming you got the original 18-55 with your K100D (which you would have unless you bought it recently and went out of your way to get one of the newer versions of the lens), it's the lesser of the lenses optically. Keep using it with the K100D, which doens't have enough resolution to really expose the limitations of the lens. Use the optically superior DA L version that came with the K-x on the K-x, because that camera has enough resolution to take advantage of the improvements.