Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Manual Focal Point adjustment- K20D

Okay i have spent hours on here looking for the answer, I found the pictorial guide to using manual lenses with the K10D. However, if I try using any of my older lenses (third-party) that are not Pentax A1, I cannot adjust the focal point and end up the dreaded blinking "F--".

The section of the menu that lists the "insert Focal Length" is dimmed out and will not allow me to select it. I have had this camera for about 6 months and otherwise I am very happy with it. The main purpose for selecting this one, was the ability to use all these older lenses.

Thank you.

03-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #2

Wait, I'm confused about your problem. You're saying that you already changed the Custom Settings #23 to Using Aperture Ring permitted, and can use the MF lens, but when changing focus points it gives you error?
03-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to to the forum.

You have to turn on "using aperture ring" in the custom settings. Here is a sticky from the beginners area to help you on it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
03-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by heaven72501 Quote
Okay i have spent hours on here looking for the answer, I found the pictorial guide to using manual lenses with the K10D. However, if I try using any of my older lenses (third-party) that are not Pentax A1, I cannot adjust the focal point and end up the dreaded blinking "F--".

The section of the menu that lists the "insert Focal Length" is dimmed out and will not allow me to select it. I have had this camera for about 6 months and otherwise I am very happy with it. The main purpose for selecting this one, was the ability to use all these older lenses.

Thank you.
Custom Setting #36: "Using aperture ring", set that to 2 (Permitted). Also, Custom Setting #26: "Green button in TAv & M", set that to 2 (Tv shift). You should be able to use the manual lenses in green button stop-down metering.

03-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes I have the aperture ring set to permitted. The only one of my manual lenses it will allow me to snap pictures with is:

PENTAX-A 1:2 5OMM

The following are all my camera's and lenses. The other manual lenses will not let me shoot.

PENTAX K20D
PENTAX-DA1:35-5.6, 18-55MM AL II
--------------------------------------------
PENTAX K1000 (3 OF THESE)
Manual Lenses:
Takumar (bayonet) 1:2.5 135MM Albinar-ADG TELE-CONVERTER 2X
Albinar-ADG 1:2.8 MACRO FOCUS --28MM-50MM
PENTAX-A 1:2 5OMM
Albinar-ADG 80-200MM 1:39 -- (55MM) MACRO ZOOM
03-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Okay, I'm stupid. I forgot to reset it back to MF and had it on the wrong setting after letting my daughter use it. I didn't realize I had to reset the aperture ring for each of my lenses. Thank you all!