Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the 50135 before, quite liked it. But I changed to an FA*80-200 'cause I feel I need slightly longer reach. But for wide end, I still feel DA*1650 is the best option from Pentax for now.

If only there is no SDM problem to worry about ... to be honest, you guys had me worried too. But I need the lens for indoor events, and there isn't many choices from Pentax.

03-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I had the 50135 before, quite liked it. But I changed to an FA*80-200 'cause I feel I need slightly longer reach.
Ouch! That's a completely different class of lens there. Literally at least twice the price on the used market as a brand new DA* 50-135mm.
03-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Ouch! That's a completely different class of lens there. Literally at least twice the price on the used market as a brand new DA* 50-135mm.
Yeah, and it's only available second hand. But still cheaper than those from C.N.S...
03-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Yeah, and it's only available second hand. But still cheaper than those from C.N.S...
How about a bet? If my DA* 50-135mm fails within the next year, you give me that FA* 80-200mm

If it doesn't fail within a year, I'll admit you were right all along.

Since you trust in SDM, you shouldn't even hesitate to accept After all, you stand to gain so much! An admission of wrongness from me! Even my wife rarely ever gets that.

03-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #50
Veteran Member

How about a bet? If my DA* 50-135mm fails within the next year, you give me that FA* 80-200mm

Since you trust in SDM, you shouldn't even hesitate to accept After all, you stand to gain so much! An admission of wrongness from me! Even my wife rarely ever gets that.
Just leave it sitting for a week or so, and it'll stop working on you
Oh, shoot I shouldn't have said that on the public forums, now Frank will never agree to your terms
03-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Oh, shoot I shouldn't have said that on the public forums, now Frank will never agree to your terms
Great, now you ruined my only chance to ever get one of those fine lenses.
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I trusted SDM, that's why I bought mine. If I didn't trust it, I wouldn't have bought it. But I'm not gonna bet w/ you 'cause I don't really care about if you are wrong or right. What I've said above is just a fact from the users experiences here in Singapore, that's all.

And like creampuff said above, Singapore is a small city, I do know most Pentax users here after having organized Pentax monthly outings for 3 years w/o missing one. And we have very good relationship w/ our Pentax service center here too. They won't lie to me if the SDM problem is a big issue here.

Just leave it sitting for a week or so, and it'll stop working on you
I ever left mine w/o using for a few months, and my buddy friends did the same
03-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I don't what the answer is but i'm in group 2, my two sdm lenses, DA 300 and DA 50-135 continue to work fine for about a year now. I've had my 50-135 out on a few rainy days and like the extra bit of insurance with it being WR.

No, i don't consider Group 1 to be extremists and i would appreciate it if they don't consider me to be one for reporting a working SDM :-)

I guess i could sell it, but its such a nice range and it appears i have a good one, so i keep using it. One of the pictures i took with it recently grabbed 3rd place honors in a club contest and then when i hung it in a local hotel for a gallery walk, it sold within the first hour. Hard to get rid of a lens that performs that well. If it fails tomorrow, i will sadly be moving into Group 1.

03-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Great, now you ruined my only chance to ever get one of those fine lenses.
Since we all know that Pentax makes better lenses than Sigma and Frank trusts SDM lenses so much I think we should change the rules a little.
If your 50-135 lasts longer than either my Sigma 135-400 or my Sigma 24-70 I'll send Frank both my Sigma lenses. Just don't tell him that the 24 - 70 is in SA mount
However, if both my Sigma lenses outlast your 50-135 then I think Frank should send us his FA* 80-200mm. We can share it like nice little school children

I ever left mine w/o using for a few months, and my buddy friends did the same
I know that some people have Frank, however I've heard about others having the same issues as Goreman's lens.
I honestly wish that Pentax didn't have any issues there, however they sure seem to
Other than the odd 50mm f1.4 falling apart for some reason, when's the last time you heard of a problem with an FA lens
I at least imagine that there's far more FA's out there than DA*'s
03-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I think we can break it down like this (I love to try and break complex issues down into artificially simple nuggets in an effort to re-enforce my point of view and make everyone else's opinion irrelevant):

- Is SDM reliable?
That's highly debatable

- Does Pentax give a damn?
Nope, not one bit. They laugh at us from Japan.

Why do I say this? Because if they cared, we'd have the option of using screw-drive focusing if/when SDM fails for those lenses that include both mechanisms.
03-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Since we all know that Pentax makes better lenses than Sigma and Frank trusts SDM lenses so much I think we should change the rules a little.
If your 50-135 lasts longer than either my Sigma 135-400 or my Sigma 24-70 I'll send Frank both my Sigma lenses. Just don't tell him that the 24 - 70 is in SA mount
However, if both my Sigma lenses outlast your 50-135 then I think Frank should send us his FA* 80-200mm. We can share it like nice little school children
The FA*80-200 would be the last lens I let go in my collection. Sorry ...

Enough said, I'm done here.
03-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #57
Veteran Member

No-one was seriously expecting you to accept such a ridiculous bet. I hope our silly North American sarcasm hasn't offended you.
03-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #58
Damn Brit

To be fair, even Canon and Nikon only offer a 1 year warranty on their products. It seems to be an industry standard. The 3rd party lens manufacturers offer proper multi-year warranties because that's one of the ways they feel they can compete with the big guys.
Nikon offer 4 year extended warranty via registration.
Canon are known to fix stuff for free outside warranty periods, especially L glass.
Pentax sit on their hands and say "Not me mate".
03-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I sure hope that you didn't take us seriously Frank, if you did I'm sorry.
I'd honestly sell my Sigma 135-400, if the price was right, however I'd never bet it against anyone's lens.

No-one was seriously expecting you to accept such a ridiculous bet. I hope our silly North American sarcasm hasn't offended you.
I am pretty sure that Frank knew we were kidding around, however I'm not positive about it
03-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I'd like to offer a different take on the matter.
Buyers in some countries are allowed to return lenses to the retailer (whether online or brick & mortar) on a whim or for whatever reason, legitimate or trivial (eg. try because you can return no questions asked, buyer remorse, use for one assignment and returning it later, etc.) all under the catch phrase of consumer protection. Well perhaps some of the bad/defective lenses get "recycled/refurbished" and later sold online again to unsuspecting online buyers. Can you really guarantee the stock is absolutely brand new when you get it?

Where I am, if there's a problem, you can probably get a one for one exchange with the shop you bought the gear within a day or so (but there's absolutely no refund) and after that any problem is handled by the local agent. So if there were problematic lenses, they get addressed by the shop (who returns it to the agent) or gets service by the local agent's service department.

Anyway here in Singapore it is hot and humid, hazarding a guess that perhaps the environment could have a bearing on the reliability of the SDM motors. Perhaps the squirrel doing the focusing likes warm weather...