Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 03:24 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManixZero Quote
Now I ain't so sure about the lens choice! I quite fancied the idea of SDM HSM or whatever just because of focus speed and noise but now I'll have to start all over.
I have yet to hear of any SDM failures with the 17-70mm. However, don't go deluding yourself into thinking SDM focuses faster than screw-drive. It does not. HSM might since that's a real ring-type motor, but SDM is just a tiny micro-motor which is essentially doing the same thing as the screw-drive used to. It has very low torque, and it responds slowly.

03-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #77
Veteran Member

This bothers me. Two things worry me:
1. SDM on my 50-135 eventually fails (it is still under warranty).
2. That 5% of the time happens when I'm shooting an event.

To not waste my investment in this lens, I decide to use it a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
is it supposed to be good when a lens works a majority 95% of the time....?
03-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #78
bfo

Original Poster
Summary of thread: SDM is not yet reliable
03-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #79
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just to add my 2 cents worth, my 50-135 SDM failed at 13 months (Jan 2010). Now, I've been laid off and don't want to spend the money on out of warrantee repairs. So now I've got a great manual focus lens. I've been thinking of removing updates from my K10D so the lens should autofocus using the SD. This won't help my wife with her K200D though.
Does anyone have any comments about the idea of un-updating my K10D? Do I need to go all the way back to V1.0 or is 1.1 or 1.2 good enough? Next question is can someone point me to instructions fo un-updating?
Thanks,
Brian

03-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #80
Veteran Member

1.20 is fine, SDM support was added with 1.30. Just downgrade the same way you upgraded. The link to the 1.20 firmware is here.
03-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #81
emr

If Pentax just improves the SDM mechanism quietly, I think that's a stupid thing to do. So many SDM problems have been reported that many Pentax users (incl. me) refuse to buy a single SDM lens until something is done. Either improved technology or a longer warranty (in the league of 5 years). 1 year warranty (or perhaps an EU customer protection law's 2 years coverage) is too little for a lens priced like these IMO.
03-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #82
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem of admitting SDM issues by Pentax have been discussed before, and it'd be a fair assumption that Pentax won't be doing so and just go ahead with their R&D efforts without announcement. Whilst this will delay sceptics of SDM from having faith in the technology enough to buy them lenses, it seems to me Pentax is willing to take that option as the lesser of two evils.
03-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #83
bfo

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
If Pentax just improves the SDM mechanism quietly, I think that's a stupid thing to do. So many SDM problems have been reported that many Pentax users (incl. me) refuse to buy a single SDM lens until something is done. Either improved technology or a longer warranty (in the league of 5 years). 1 year warranty (or perhaps an EU customer protection law's 2 years coverage) is too little for a lens priced like these IMO.

If I buy the lens here in Norway, I'm covered by a 5 year consumer protection (Norwegian consumer protection law is usually better than warranties). The price in Norway is however rather steep, $1500 for the 50-135mm.

03-18-2010, 03:26 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bfo Quote
If I buy the lens here in Norway, I'm covered by a 5 year consumer protection (Norwegian consumer protection law is usually better than warranties). The price in Norway is however rather steep, $1500 for the 50-135mm.
That's pretty typical of countries or states where warranty terms are dictated by the country rather than the manufacturers. While it may seem like a win for the consumer when such laws are implemented, the resulting price hike from manufacturers makes it all kinda moot.

Besides, you still have to deal with sending the lens in for repairs, waiting weeks or months in some cases, and then hoping it's actually fixed properly when it comes back. Even if there isn't any money involved (besides maybe shipping costs), it's still an aggravation. A legally imposed longer warranty does not make for a more reliable product.
03-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Oh I totally agree there. Every time my SDM lens has given me issues, it was in cold weather.

But for Pete's sake, it's WEATHER-SEALED!!! Pathetic -5c weather shouldn't even matter!!!
This topic needs more photos:

Look at the frozen hair. Taken with the 16-50mm, at -35c. I didn't experience SDM problems.
03-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john_ven24 Quote
This topic needs more photos:
Excellent photo!

QuoteOriginally posted by john_ven24 Quote
Look at the frozen hair. Taken with the 16-50mm, at -35c. I didn't experience SDM problems.
Oh wow, then I was completely wrong all along. SDM is perfect.

Who needs sleep, anyways?
03-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #87

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have yet to hear of any SDM failures with the 17-70mm. However, don't go deluding yourself into thinking SDM focuses faster than screw-drive. It does not. HSM might since that's a real ring-type motor, but SDM is just a tiny micro-motor which is essentially doing the same thing as the screw-drive used to. It has very low torque, and it responds slowly.
My 17-70 SDM went in for repairs (USA workshop in Arizona) on 20 Dec 09.
I only got it back 15th of Feb. They just kept saying they are waiting for parts from Japan.

I got it back one day before going to Jordan on holiday - and off course it was now even more broken than before...

So it's back to the repair shop next week.
03-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CX15 Quote
My 17-70 SDM went in for repairs (USA workshop in Arizona) on 20 Dec 09.
I only got it back 15th of Feb. They just kept saying they are waiting for parts from Japan.
They were probably telling you the truth,
I haven't heard of all that many 17-70's giving them problems.....YET. So there's a chance they didn't feel they needed parts, Yet

Give them time and they might just stockpile the parts for it

QuoteQuote:
I got it back one day before going to Jordan on holiday - and off course it was now even more broken than before...

So it's back to the repair shop next week.
That's too bad, I hope that they fix it for you properly soon.
03-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #89
bfo

Original Poster
That's pretty typical of countries or states where warranty terms are dictated by the country rather than the manufacturers. While it may seem like a win for the consumer when such laws are implemented, the resulting price hike from manufacturers makes it all kinda moot.

Besides, you still have to deal with sending the lens in for repairs, waiting weeks or months in some cases, and then hoping it's actually fixed properly when it comes back. Even if there isn't any money involved (besides maybe shipping costs), it's still an aggravation. A legally imposed longer warranty does not make for a more reliable product.

The Norwegian consumer law protects me better than you might think.

1. I just have to deal with the selling company/shop, wich will be local. I don't have to think about costs for shipment.
2. The shop has just 1 shot at repair. If failed I get choose between a full refund or further repairs.
3. If the repair takes more than 2 weeks the seller will have to lend me a replacement of equal quality without cost for me.

etc. etc.

So, it's a reaaly good protection, however, it comes with a cost if you look at norwegian prices.

But I totally agree with your conclusion. It would be far better with a reliable product.
03-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #90
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by bfo Quote
The Norwegian consumer law protects me better than you might think.

1. I just have to deal with the selling company/shop, wich will be local. I don't have to think about costs for shipment.
2. The shop has just 1 shot at repair. If failed I get choose between a full refund or further repairs.
3. If the repair takes more than 2 weeks the seller will have to lend me a replacement of equal quality without cost for me.
Does this apply in practice too? Because in Finland customers have rights too (most likely much less than what you posted), but in practice the stores try to ignore the rights and screw the customer every time.