Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
You can pick up a 35ltd from Prodigital2000 for $529 and if you are in the US you can get if for 8% less using Bing...I bought both my copies from Prodigital2000 and they are great. Had to buy a 2nd copy as I traded my original copy for a 43ltd...in SILVER...ooooo...ahhhhh....pretty...hehehehe....but I missed the 35ltd waaay to much. Interestingly, I looked at my shots over the past couple years and when using my old 24-60mm Sigma, the focal lengths I used most often, by far, were ~35mm and ~43mm-45mm, so maybe it's just I naturally like both focal lengths, or I am just sorta-kinda odd?

I have a 43ltd and the 35ltd...I will say, for most situations the 35ltd is my favorite but the bokeh can be, well, different...now compared to the 40ltd, I still think I would prefer the 35ltd for it being more versatile a lense if no other reason. It really feels like using a zoom because of the ability to close-focus.

03-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 203
I chose the 35 over the 40 for a few reasons. I knew it was going to be my only lens for awhile, and I wanted a true "normal". The 40 is a bit too long for that. On top of that it's versatility won me over - macro, portrait, landscape, everything looks spectacular with this thing. Throw in almost non-existent distortion and CA, beautiful color, and a beguiling combination of sharpness and softness, and you've got a true classic in the lens world, IMHO.
03-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 203
I forgot to mention the built-in hood on the 35. It doesn't get mentioned too often, but it should. It's a really wonderful feature.
03-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Myanmar
Posts: 510
I chose the the 40/2.8 over the 35/2.8 for two reasons:
- it's smaller
- i's also smaller.

More seriously, it has also a nicer bokeh and a lot less lateral and longitudinal chromatic aberrations. Abbazz abhors aberrations!

Cheers!

Abbazz

03-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member
enoxatnep's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The edge of nowhere, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 467
I'm like the others here who chose the DA 35 for its versatility. If you don't care the slightest bit about macro, get the DA 40: it's smaller and cheaper. But if macro holds even the remotest interest for you, you'd be much better off to choose the DA 35. It's almost always on my camera because I can do absolutely anything with it in that focal range.

I also echo the comments about how to get around the "slower" AF. It's not too difficult to quick-shift focus (i.e. turn the focus ring) to get within range then let AF take care of the rest, so the whole "slower" AF argument is mythical.
03-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I'm like the others here who chose the DA 35 for its versatility. If you don't care the slightest bit about macro, get the DA 40: it's smaller and cheaper. But if macro holds even the remotest interest for you, you'd be much better off to choose the DA 35. It's almost always on my camera because I can do absolutely anything with it in that focal range.

I also echo the comments about how to get around the "slower" AF. It's not too difficult to quick-shift focus (i.e. turn the focus ring) to get within range then let AF take care of the rest, so the whole "slower" AF argument is mythical.
it's not mythical, it's a fact. quickshift is just a manual-focus shortcut, not AF. big difference. the DA35's AF on it's own without MF assistance is slow. I would highly contest someone who says that it is fast without using a quickshift (mfd to infinity test and vice-versa). any takers?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 03-16-2010 at 01:28 PM.
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Probably not what you want to hear, but shooting landscapes at f/8-f/16 you already have the ideal lenses in the two kit lenses (unless you wanted to upgrade slightly to DA 16-45mm and DA 55-300mm). Stopped down that far you are not likely to notice a significant difference in with the primes and your lenses now in your shots.

...
Just some thoughts. Doesn't seem to make much sense to purchase DA35 or DA40 for what you are needing/wanting to shoot with.

c[_]
I'm going to have to agree with coffee_IP here -- the 18-55mm kit lens also focuses really really close (basically a 1:3 macro), probably as close as you'll ever need, going by your original post.

Having said that, I had both the 40 and the 35 and only used the 35 for macro. I loved the thought of essentially not having a minimum focus distance. But the 35mm focal length wasn't right for me at all--I never wanted to stay there. Strangely enough, I'm happy using a 40 all day though.

I say if you really want to buy a prime (and hey, nobody here can really blame you ), then stick your kit lens at 35 for a bit, then at 40 for a bit and decide which is right for you. Either one of these will serve you well!
03-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Ecaterin's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by slinco Quote
I chose the 35 over the 40 for a few reasons. I knew it was going to be my only lens for awhile, and I wanted a true "normal". The 40 is a bit too long for that. On top of that it's versatility won me over - macro, portrait, landscape, everything looks spectacular with this thing. Throw in almost non-existent distortion and CA, beautiful color, and a beguiling combination of sharpness and softness, and you've got a true classic in the lens world, IMHO.
What he said I too was choosing between the DA 35 and DA 40 Ltds and made the same decision for the 35mm for the same reason.

I also looked at about a zillionty photos from every limited lens (and boy do I ever want them ALL), and the 35mm consistently has the most amazing crisp contrasts, velvety textures and gorgeous saturated colors. So far every photo I've taken with the 35mm manifests all those traits (no matter how basic the subject or inattentive the photographer :P). It's truly a spectacular lens

03-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #24
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's not mythical, it's a fact. quickshift is just a manual-focus shortcut, not AF. big difference. the DA35's AF on it's own without MF assistance is slow. I would highly contest someone who says that it is fast without using a quickshift (mfd to infinity test and vice-versa). any takers?
I'll bite... sort of. It's true that a full rack from MFD (approx 6 inches from the sensor, or 1/2" from the front lens element) to infinity takes more than a second. However, point-to-point focusing between 2 feet and infinity is BLINDINGLY quick. Why? Look at the focus distance scale. The focus ring needs to travel about 170 degrees to get from infinity to MFD, but only about 10 degrees to get from infinity to 2 feet. The moral of the story is that this lens can respond very quickly to focus shifts between 2 feet and infinity (accounts for the majority of non-macro subjects where fast focus speed is important), provided that the camera body's AF system is up to the task in the lighting conditions. So, while your statement is technically correct, it would also likely be misleading to people who haven't tried this lens for themselves.

Personally, I see quickshift as being an incredibly elegant and intuitive implementation of a focus limiter. For example, if I approach a macro subject with this lens mounted, I subconsciously spin the focus ring to the "macro" end of the range as I bring the camera to my eye. When I'm done with the shot, I spin it back to infinity to get ready for the next shooting opportunity on my walkabout.
03-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Hello_Photo Quote
I'll bite... sort of. It's true that a full rack from MFD (approx 6 inches from the sensor, or 1/2" from the front lens element) to infinity takes more than a second. However, point-to-point focusing between 2 feet and infinity is BLINDINGLY quick. Why? Look at the focus distance scale. The focus ring needs to travel about 170 degrees to get from infinity to MFD, but only about 10 degrees to get from infinity to 2 feet. The moral of the story is that this lens can respond very quickly to focus shifts between 2 feet and infinity (accounts for the majority of non-macro subjects where fast focus speed is important), provided that the camera body's AF system is up to the task in the lighting conditions. So, while your statement is technically correct, it would also likely be misleading to people who haven't tried this lens for themselves.

Personally, I see quickshift as being an incredibly elegant and intuitive implementation of a focus limiter. For example, if I approach a macro subject with this lens mounted, I subconsciously spin the focus ring to the "macro" end of the range as I bring the camera to my eye. When I'm done with the shot, I spin it back to infinity to get ready for the next shooting opportunity on my walkabout.
not really misleading. the discussion was about AF alone, not quickshift focusing assisted AF. as far as quickshift manual focusing is concerned, I'm much faster than my Sigma 70's AF. can I say that my MF lens mode is fast focusing?

and yes, this is from a technical standpoint and clearly not a myth in technical terms.
03-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #26
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
not really misleading. the discussion was about AF alone, not quickshift focusing assisted AF. as far as quickshift manual focusing is concerned, I'm much faster than my Sigma 70's AF. can I say that my MF lens mode is fast focusing?

and yes, this is from a technical standpoint and clearly not a myth in technical terms.
I agree that the statement regarding the time taken for a full AF rack is technically correct. My point was that in real life situations, this technically-accurate statement only manifests itself in very specific situations that represent a relatively small subset of photographic opportunities. In the absence of this knowledge, someone could very easily misinterpret the original statement to mean that AF on the DA35 is always slow to respond, which is far from the truth in my experience.

In general, there seems to be a bias against macro lenses being capable of fast AF without a focus-limiter because of their long focus throws. In the case of the DA35, Pentax has given us a macro lens that has fast AF in most shooting situations. In those few situations where a focus-limiter would be nice to have, quick-shift can be used instead.

I'm not saying that the poster intended to mislead readers, but I felt that additional clarification was in order for the benefit of those without first-hand experience with this lens.
03-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #27
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Hello_Photo Quote
I agree that the statement regarding the time taken for a full AF rack is technically correct. My point was that in real life situations, this technically-accurate statement only manifests itself in very specific situations that represent a relatively small subset of photographic opportunities. In the absence of this knowledge, someone could very easily misinterpret the original statement to mean that AF on the DA35 is always slow to respond, which is far from the truth in my experience.

In general, there seems to be a bias against macro lenses being capable of fast AF without a focus-limiter because of their long focus throws. In the case of the DA35, Pentax has given us a macro lens that has fast AF in most shooting situations. In those few situations where a focus-limiter would be nice to have, quick-shift can be used instead.

I'm not saying that the poster intended to mislead readers, but I felt that additional clarification was in order for the benefit of those without first-hand experience with this lens.
your post is duly noted. regarding the bias towards focus limiters on certain macro lenses, I believe it is more of a preference and probably perhaps it is more advantageous for them especially in the longer telephoto end. however, I also have a minor complaint regarding some macro lenses that have a slow AF even with the addition of a focus limiter. my Sigma 70's AF for example is slow as compared to my FA100's AF.
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #28
Forum Member
Tim_R's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 53
Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. I spent last weekend shooting my K-x with the 18-55mm set on 35mm and 40mm. Each shot I made was done at both settings so I could come home and review the results. In practical terms, I did not find either focal length limiting for the subjects I chose where that range would be appropriate. I also have reviewed my previous pics, checking the exif data for focal length. For those scenes where I was not obviously zoomed in using my 50-200mm or zoomed out to the widest setting of the 18-55mm, the rest clustered around 35-45mm with an occasional shot above or below that range. I decided to go with the 40mm pancake because of the $200 difference (and the small size/weight).

Then, early today, I placed an order with Berger Bros. They had it for $363.99 and when I called to confirm, they had it in stock. All the other places I had found good prices had it on back order. I placed the order on their site and agreed to pay the freight for 2nd day delivery. I wanted it for this weekend. I went to work, happy that Friday (or latest, Saturday), I'd have my new lens to try out on my day off.

Imagine my surprise when I came home to find an email saying they couldn't process my card. I use that card on the Web several times a month and there is plenty in the account to cover this purchase. I called and they claimed my CC company doesn't have the address I gave them on file (I regularly receive statements at that address), and that the phone number I gave them was not working. I have a printout of the screen and DID give them my cell number, and it IS working. I have received no calls this day.

Based on their difficulty, I have sent them an email cancelling the order, and will follow up with a phone call. Just a bit of feedback for anyone contemplating using Berger Bros. Perhaps they just had a bad day. But I don't give people a second chance when they mess up a financial transaction with me.

Now to go hunting for someone else. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Tim
03-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member
StephenMerola's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Photos: Albums
Posts: 391
Pentax | SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Series Autofocus Lens

Add to cart for lower price. Be aware of the Passover holiday. The site has a warning abount being closed starting the 29th.
03-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
Forum Member
Tim_R's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 53
Original Poster
Thank you StephenMerola, just placed my order with them. Had not run across that listing previously, and the price is very good.

Now I have to sit back and wait anxiously.

Tim
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
consideration, f2.8, k-mount, lens, lenses, macro, pentax lens, pentax-da, slr lens, smc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40mm Pancake Rush2112 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-13-2010 07:34 AM
DA 40mm pancake as a close up / macro shooter Igilligan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 29 03-12-2009 01:37 PM
For Sale - Sold: [EU] Voigtlander 35mmF2.5 pancake + voigtlander 90mmF3.5 apo lanthar- leica m3 angelodn Sold Items 20 01-22-2009 02:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top