Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Nubi

OMG!!! I dropped my FA 50mm f/1.2

Yes it happened. The end.

I was grilling several portabello mushrooms outside, and I had a K-7 around my neck, and was about to switch to my beloved FA 50. I disconnected my FA 31, and then out of Ned's DA limited lens case fell out my FA 50 as I zipped that thing opened, right down to the concrete floor.

Holy cow, is what I said, and that was that. The deed was done. I quickly stuck it on my K-7 and no focusing. Cannot even manual focus. I want my money back.

Cannot believe this crap. It is Ned's fault for designing that faulty pouch. I want my money back.

YOu know what this means; I need to buy a new lens. DA*55, here I come.

So the question is what I should do with it. I plan to barbeque it tomorrow evening, Any other suggestions?

I cannot believe this is happening. Especially after I did something really nice for somebody, which I seldom do by the way.

AGHHAAAAAAA

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 02-02-2018 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Remove swearing
03-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I did that to an A series 50mm f/1.7 ... I was angry, sad, a little insane for a bit. It didn't even mount on the body as the flange had warped slightly. I found another A 50 f/1.7 that was in ok condition, swapped flanges, up and got it running again.
03-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well these things happen mate. At least it wasn't your 31!

I would really like to see some photos of a FA stir fry. Teriyaki stir fry if you could.
03-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
So the question is what I should do with it. I plan to barbeque it tomorrow evening, Any other suggestions?

I cannot believe this is happening. Especially after I did something really nice for somebody, which I seldom do by the way.

AGHHAAAAAAA

So the optics are all good, without cracks?

Then leave it around. Or donate it to somebody who has an FA 50 (1.4 I'm guessing you meant) that has fungus or scratch issues.

There's always a good use for a trashed lens.

I have a Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f2.8 lens that I dropped on the floor, and couldn't use any longer because of a severely dent focus ring. Wouldn't even budge.

I kept it around in a zip lock bag, and parts of the lens has helped me to resurrect not one, not two, but THREE CZJ Biometars in the last 1.5 years or so since the incident (swapping bad lenses, mount, screws, etc.). And I'm still keeping the rest around until I at least scavenge it for the perfectly functioning aperture mechanism ;-)

03-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of these sold on eBay that supposedly worked, missing the focus ring. Seller said it was removed from a machine, kind of looed like the removal was done with an air chisel. I think it went for $120.

So the thing probably has some value. EBay is actually a pretty good market for this type of thing. I'm often surprised at the prices reached for lenses like that.
03-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
I did that to an A series 50mm f/1.7 ... I was angry, sad, a little insane for a bit. It didn't even mount on the body as the flange had warped slightly. I found another A 50 f/1.7 that was in ok condition, swapped flanges, up and got it running again.
I loved my FA 50. I want to buy it again. I wonder if I should send in for repair. Should I crack that open??
03-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Well these things happen mate. At least it wasn't your 31!

I would really like to see some photos of a FA stir fry. Teriyaki stir fry if you could.
Oh, god. If it was FA 31 I would be switching to Canikon about now. I am thinking about searing the stupid thing in my Big Green Egg at about 650 degrees for about 4 munites. Then buy DA* 55.

03-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
So the optics are all good, without cracks?

Then leave it around. Or donate it to somebody who has an FA 50 (1.4 I'm guessing you meant) that has fungus or scratch issues.

There's always a good use for a trashed lens.

I have a Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f2.8 lens that I dropped on the floor, and couldn't use any longer because of a severely dent focus ring. Wouldn't even budge.

I kept it around in a zip lock bag, and parts of the lens has helped me to resurrect not one, not two, but THREE CZJ Biometars in the last 1.5 years or so since the incident (swapping bad lenses, mount, screws, etc.). And I'm still keeping the rest around until I at least scavenge it for the perfectly functioning aperture mechanism ;-)
I see. Maybe I should. Donation part I am not sure (just kidding).
03-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
One of these sold on eBay that supposedly worked, missing the focus ring. Seller said it was removed from a machine, kind of looed like the removal was done with an air chisel. I think it went for $120.

So the thing probably has some value. EBay is actually a pretty good market for this type of thing. I'm often surprised at the prices reached for lenses like that.
$120 . . . . . I will go for that. Thank for the info. By the way, you have quite a few lenses, especially near focal length of ~50mm. If your camera bag is too small, one solution is to send one of those to me . . . . .
03-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #10
Nubi

But if I were to get another 50 (or somewhere around there), what should I get???

1. Zeiss Planar T* 50
2. DA* 55
3. FA 50 yes I meant f/1.4(oops) - again
4. ???

I am thinking Zeiss because I don't autofocus much. DA*55 - I cannot tell the difference in pics taken by DA55 and FA 50. Now, Zeiss I can.

This is not helping my LBA.
03-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But if I were to get another 50 (or somewhere around there), what should I get???

1. Zeiss Planar T* 50
2. DA* 55
3. FA 50 yes I meant f/1.4(oops) - again
4. ???

I am thinking Zeiss because I don't autofocus much. DA*55 - I cannot tell the difference in pics taken by DA55 and FA 50. Now, Zeiss I can.

This is not helping my LBA.
I was going to ask where you got a FA50 f1.2.... Thought they may have had a new FA Limited...

Highlighted in red is the reason I say you have your answer. I fought with the same decision but came to the conclusion that when I Wanted AF, It needed to be there without spending more money.

03-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
consider it a sign from above, that fast 50 needs an upgrading
03-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My question is where did you get a FA 50/1.2? Must be the rarest lens in existence!
03-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I loved my FA 50. I want to buy it again. I wonder if I should send in for repair. Should I crack that open??
I knew the reason my A 50mm didn't work shortly after I dropped it. The mount ovalized slightly and wouldn't mount on the body at all. Mine was an easy fix, unscrew the 5 screws on the rear mount, replace, and put it back together with the mount from the same model lens.

If the issue is something beyond that, in my case, I would have not attempted a repair. Either send it in (an A 50 f/1.7 is fairly common so its not really worth it) or buy another used one.
03-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #15

Grilling with your camera around your neck???