Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reverse Adapter + filter Rings tests

Earlier today I got thinking that we may be able to use a reverse adapter, along with some filter rings (the filter glass removed) to increase the magnification. More or less turning the filter rings into small extension tubes.

So when I got home I decided to try it. I removed the glass from a set of close up filters I was given (I never did like close up filters )
I then set both the camera and a off camera flash up on tripods. The flash had a narrow snoot on, directing the light.
I then sprayed this pretty much dead flower with a few drops of water, then moved the flower until it was pretty much in focus. I had to move the flower a little between each shot, along with the lighting to compensate for the increased focal distance.

oh, the camera was set at ISO 100, the 50mm f2.0 lens was set to f22. Custom White Balance.

These are the results I got.

3 filter rings.

the crop.

2 filter rings.

the crop.

1 filter ring.

the crop.

and no filter rings, just a reversed lens.

the crop.

So, as you can tell the filter rings will act the same as extension tubes increasing magnification.
Like expected the DOF decreases with every extension, however it honestly drops less than I would have figured.

These 3 rings will be part of my closeup set now.

03-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Ah, now I know what to do with all those excess skylight filters I've accumulated! Let's see, should I just wrap each filter in cloth and whack it with a rock hammer until it succumbs? Or should I screw a dozen of then into a stack, brace them in a vice, a and put a .22LR round through the sacrificial offerings? Decisions, decisions...

PS: Nice shots there.
03-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks,
Oh, I should have mentioned. Most filters are easy to take apart. If you look on the female side you'll see a ring with a couple of notches in it. Insert a screwdriver into one of these notches and spin it off. Don't worry about scratching the glass

If they don't spin off easily enough, they're just plastic. So a sharp exact-o knife might just cut through it.
If you can't figure it out please let me know. I could always try taking photos of the process, although I don't know how good they'd be.
03-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice idea

03-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Earlier today I got thinking that we may be able to use a reverse adapter, along with some filter rings (the filter glass removed) to increase the magnification. More or less turning the filter rings into small extension tubes.

So, as you can tell the filter rings will act the same as extension tubes increasing magnification.
Like expected the DOF decreases with every extension, however it honestly drops less than I would have figured.

These 3 rings will be part of my closeup set now.

An interesting post: thanks!