Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
i thought the K10D supported PZ... maybe i am wrong..

And btw, how much more battery this feature consumes?
When the K10D was announced it was advertised as supporting the power zoom lenses, but this was ultimately downgraded to supplying power to the KAF2 power pins also used for HSM focusing motors.

So none of the zoom functions for the camera body were incorporated, like image size tracking etc. but you can zoom in and out using the motor in the lens, something that is still of use in certain exposure situations

11-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From my stable of bodies and lenses...K100d does not support Power Zoom, K10d and K5 do support Power Zoom

The motorized zooming is too loud for video use without an external mic.

The FA* lenses have much smoother zooming than the standard FA's--no jerkiness on the FA*'s
01-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #18

There's no guesswork involved here. Even if you don't own a current, or even earlier model, you can check the Specs in the PDF manuals kindly provided by Pentax. I have a K5 so just look at the K5 manual and it says on pages 337/338 that power zoom is available with KAF2 lenses. The same goes for the K7 on pages 292/293. It's not rocket science!
01-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #19

Thanks everyone for the responses. Especially the one from Graylion. As an amateur and very intermittent photographer, (for now) I appreciate simple and clear answers. Glad I subscribed.

02-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's the "zoom during exposure" feature all about?

Charles.
02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #21

When you zoom with the shutter open you get what was called a "trombone" effect with the subject streaked and converging toward the centre. It give the impression of speed but probably best done using a tripod and longish exposure time - e.g 1/2 second minimum although it depend how fast the zoom is.
02-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Graylion Quote
When you zoom with the shutter open you get what was called a "trombone" effect with the subject streaked and converging toward the centre. It give the impression of speed but probably best done using a tripod and longish exposure time - e.g 1/2 second minimum although it depend how fast the zoom is.
That sounds cool. I've done some nigh abstracts using that effect.

07-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have the 28-80mm FA power zoom :

SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-4.7 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

And I'm thinking about "mods" LOL

I find it heavy and I suspect it's due to the power zoom motor inside. I wonder if it's not too hard to dismantle the lens and remove that motor ?

Or if the lens' IQ doesn't warrant all the work LOL

I have the P-Z-10 film body that has the electrical contacts inside the lens mount to power said motor, it's pretty fun to use LOL

I also figured it would be easy (yet bulky) to add a battery to the lens so it can power zoom on a regular Pentax camera.

I only spent about $30 on the lens and compatible film camera.

Cheers,
Craig

edit : Hey I see the K2000 and k-x have the electrical contacts for the power zoom lenses :

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/ZURFRONT-L.JPG

The ability for them to use power zooms must be disabled in firmware (???) why are the contacts in there ?

Last edited by spystyle; 07-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.
07-09-2013, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
The ability for them to use power zooms must be disabled in firmware (???) why are the contacts in there ?
Those contacts are also used to power the SDM / DC motors in newer lenses
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
I find it heavy and I suspect it's due to the power zoom motor inside. I wonder if it's not too hard to dismantle the lens and remove that motor ?
That was one reason I took apart my FA 28-105mm f4-5.6 PZ. That lens is heavy too, 13 elements in four thick barrels and complex. It looked to me like the motor was only a minor part of the weight, so I just left it. I didn't want to break anything else.