Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

LBA on a (real cheap) budget

saw a similar thread tile but contents were too pricey for me

I have a K10D, DA 35mm Macro Limited and 58mm f1.4 Voigtlander from when I used to have a proper job . . .

More recent purchases have been based on absolute minimum spend for classy, iconic, interesting or useful kit:

Minty Vivitar 28mm f2.8 (Komine close focus model). A whopping 20 and perfect for panoramas stitched from portrait format shots - where MF and manual exposure is a good thing

Minty Tamron 80-210 f3.8 103A cost 10 with PK mount and is a lovely portrait lens at 80mm end and f4/5.6. Need to try some macro stuff next. Weight fellow mind

Less than minty Tamron 135mm f2.8 CT-135 with pristine glass cost 12, not a great lens so far. But I do know 135 is too long for me on digital and the close focus isnt close enough

My next foray is going to be into M42, but bit overwhelmed by the choice, and massive variance on prices.

Fancy something around 85mm and would like close focus - portraits and flowers/plants are my interest, so doesnt have to be a macro but I do like my bokeh

Or maybe a 24mm

Or even a another super cheap zoom, the 103A is a good lens at a stupid price and it seems no one loves old zooms any more

Ideas, suggestions ? What would you get for betwen 10 and 40 ?

03-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Decent primes around that 85 range aren't cheap.

Have you gone to KEH.com?
03-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ira, I have looked at KEH and a few other US sites, the prices seem lower than UK and I am most envious

over here the 'cheap' stuff seems to mostly be on ebay. If there are good cheap UK dealers I have yet to find one. I suspect the dealers will use ebay too as the selling prices are often quite high - what people will pay for old manual focus 90mm macros is astounding (high) as is what they wont pay for zooms and teleconverters (low)

There are oddities or less well known brands around at low prices, mostly Russian and East German or lesser known japanese makes

Jupiter 9 is one possible aspiration, or I could go 'out of the box' and get a x1.5 converter for the 58mm voigtlander
03-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Hard at that price unless you're lucky! My best deals have been an SMCA 28mm f2.8 and SMCM 50mm f1.7, both at around 30. If the budget ups a little, things get easier though.

Not M42 but I like my Tamron Adaptall 24mm/2.5. They don't tend to be terribly expensive on Ebay (I got a boxed one new from KEH outlet recently and I think it was about 80; secondhand I reckon 40-50 may be closer to the mark for a good one).

You're right about the price of old 90mm macros, but if you can stretch to the original (all metal) Tamron 90mm f2.5, it's a brilliant portrait/macro lens that will certainly do the bokeh too! I think around 70 is the going rate, more if it comes with the matched converter or extension tubes.

Other than that, I think there may be some good zooms around the 28-105 length that may be under-priced for what they do. And the Pentax 75-150 SMCM has a good reputation too.

Good luck!

03-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price is going to be a real problem at 85mm. No matter which lens it is, it typically sells for way over your budget. I would second the suggestion for the Tamron Adaptall 90mm f2.5 macro. Make sure you expand your search to find lenses listed with unusual mounts, sold by people who don't realize the mounts are interchangeable. Typically you don't see this lens selling that cheap either, but you can get it for half the price of an 85mm.

At 24mm, the Kiron 24mm f2.0 has a strong following so it's sometimes out of your budget. Copies with oily blades are sometimes affordable and the problem is not hard to fix. The Sigma Superwide 24mm f2.8 is slower but I think possibly sharper. Lenses with a "II" on them have a KA mount; the older versions should be cheaper.
03-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
just buy fungus infested lenses at the cheap and do some DIY cleaning... or use them as is

*ebay search word fungus
03-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The Sigma Superwide 24mm f2.8 is slower but I think possibly sharper.
My off the cuff tests suggest it is somewhat sharper than the M28/2.8 wide open, which is saying something, because the 28 is not bad at all.