Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #1

Going to Paris

I'm being sent to Paris on some business and have the opportunity to stay for the weekend. Now the obvious questions is what lenses to bring.

I currently own the following lenses:
  • DA 35
  • DA 70
  • DA 18-55 WR
  • M 50/1.7

Not a large collection, but it serves me well.

I like traveling light and have contemplated only bringing the Limiteds or perhaps only the DA 35. However, that would leave me without anything at the wide end. Perhaps I should get a DA 10-17 as I've been planning to buy it for quite a while but haven't pulled the trigger as I try to control my LBA. I just don't want to rush out and buy it, just to lug it around, if I won't have any use for it.

03-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why are you going there for? The food sucks.

Lucky bastard!!!!
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

Lucky bastard!!!!
+1

too oily/creamy for my taste
03-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

Original Poster

Lucky bastard!!!!
Yeah it sucks having to go, wish I could stay here in the cold dark north.

03-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Bring the 18-55, leave the rest at home! You need the wide angle and the flexibility of the zoom.

The 10-17 is fun to use, but would be an addition, not a replacement.

If you intend to shoot street scenes at night, or in the metro, the M 50/1.7 would come in handy.
03-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Paris 26 Gigapixels - Interactive virtual tour of the most beautiful monuments of Paris

( Link shamelessly stolen from another forum :ugh: )

Perhaps there's some inspiration here?
03-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Paris is such a photogenic place, you will be able to take great shots whatever you bring. I'm sure using only the DA35 would be interesting.

That being said, I would not go to a foreign city without a wide angle anymore. And you may want some more reach. So if I was in your shoes I would probably take the 18-55, the DA35, and the DA70.

Of course, if you were looking for an excuse to get an ultra-wide (DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20, for instance), now's the time
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The 10-17 would be awesome in Paris. The 18-55 is the most versatile lens you have for traveling. Take that, and a 6" mini tripod...

03-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

My vote, 18-55, 35mm and 70mm. Nice light and small kit.
Next PM ben and meet up with him for an hour or 2. It would be awesome to see him in action in the studio. Or at least get some tips about the city.
03-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
My vote, 18-55, 35mm and 70mm. Nice light and small kit.
Next PM ben and meet up with him for an hour or 2. It would be awesome to see him in action in the studio. Or at least get some tips about the city.
That's some good advice there, on both points!
I would take the 35, 70 and one more lens, but would definately suggest a wide.
If you can stretch to it, I would suggest the DA15 ltd, that would be an excellent set. Otherwise the 18-55 will do a decent job I'm sure.

I spent 2 months in Europe about this time last year, so yes the wide is extremely useful. Next up you might want to consider a compact tripod for night shots - Paris is beautiful at night, check out the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre etc to see how they are lit up. Another note to think about is that the M50 f1.7 would be handy in order to try and get hand-holdable shots inside the dimly lit churches (Notre Dame, for instance).

Have fun!
03-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like something wide and fast would be perfect. Perhaps I should just complete my DA Limited trio with a DA 15… feels like it is starting to control my mind.

Does anyone own both the 10-17 and DA 15 who can comment on their differences, fishyness being one.

The 18-55 would of course be the most versatile, but I feel like I'm not a good enough photographer to get the same kick out of it that the Limiteds get for free. The M 50/1.7 is indeed my fastest but I like the DA 35 more and I'm able to go pretty slow with it if necessary (1/5-1/3 s).

Guess I'll end up bringing everything and then only using half of it as usual.

Edit: Good suggestion on contacting Ben. Perhaps he'd be willing to lower his standards enough to guide a newbie like me around the studio/Paris.
03-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Lucky bastard!!!!
The FOOD what???? You are kidding of course?
03-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
I'm being sent to Paris on some business and have the opportunity to stay for the weekend. Now the obvious questions is what lenses to bring.

I currently own the following lenses:
  • DA 35
  • DA 70
  • DA 18-55 WR
  • M 50/1.7

Not a large collection, but it serves me well.

I like traveling light and have contemplated only bringing the Limiteds or perhaps only the DA 35. However, that would leave me without anything at the wide end. Perhaps I should get a DA 10-17 as I've been planning to buy it for quite a while but haven't pulled the trigger as I try to control my LBA. I just don't want to rush out and buy it, just to lug it around, if I won't have any use for it.
I live in Paris and of all the lenses you have, I would most definitely take the 18-55 WR. The 10-17 would be nice for the narrow streets of the Marais or Montmartre.
03-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #14
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The FOOD what???? You are kidding of course?
Those guys are not real gourmets.

Fisheyeing Paris is funnier I think:
03-16-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
Forum Member

I was in Paris last year, for a few days. I wasn't using Pentax at the time, but I don't believe that really matters

First off, you really need an ultra-wide. There were plenty of situations where there was very little space to move when trying to shoot, Paris is a crowded and crammed 'little' city
My usual workhorse (the CZ16-80) just wasn't wide enough... most of my shots from Paris were taken at 11mm. I would recommend the 12-24 but since you are interested in getting the 10-17, then I guess it would get the job done as well (if you ever get tired of all that... 'curviness', you can always defish in PP).
As for location suggestions... I think that viewing Paris from up on the Eiffel tower is overrated. I would recommend instead going to the Montparnasse tower and catch the sunset and the setting of the night there, you definitely won't regret it.
I could give more info, but I don't want to make this post too long. You could drop me a PM if you're interested though.

PS- my sets from Paris can be found here: Zenfolio | Cezar Litu | paris