Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Tokina AT-X 35-70mm f2.8 (manual focus lens)

I wanted to share with you a couple of photos taken with the Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8 (62mm filter thread with Pentax-A setting and Ricoh pin) since I don't think I've ever seen this lens discussed here or on other online forums.

This lens is from the manual focus era, so it's quite well built. It's a two-touch zoom, and the focus mechanism is very smooth and has a long throw. The "A" setting makes metering a breeze. Yes, this lens does have the Ricoh "P" pin, but it's of the round type and lightly loaded, and has not given any problems on my K20D. Anyways, I'll post some photos of the lens soon.

First I would like to say that this is a top-notch lens - sharpness, bokeh, and lack of CA all exceeded my expectations for this lens. I sometimes see the term "prime-like" used to describe the best zooms, and I would not hesitate to use that description here. I'm actually holding back my praise for this lens, as I would like to do some more shooting in difficult lighting conditions to be absolutely sure. But I am extremely pleased with what I see so far.

Anyways, here are the photos taken with my K20D.

f2.8

f3.5

The second shot is a bit overexposed (I'd forgotten that I had set an EV adj. on the camera), but I like the "dreamy" result.

Also, for those of you looking at the EXIF info, note that the focal length listed is not the actual focal length - it's just the focal length I had used to set the SR.

I will post back as I get to use this lens more.

03-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Yes, it's a good lens.

Ist Ds 1600 isos

Ist Ds
03-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing these shots, mapov. I especially liked the shot of the young woman playing the accordian.
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Thank U Photogerald.
The second one is softer than the first and was sharpened.
The first one is jpeg OOC.
Both were shot just before the night.

This lens is not bad for live shows too.

*ist Ds/Tokina 35/70 2,8/Isos 1600

03-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mapov Quote
Thank U Photogerald.
The second one is softer than the first and was sharpened.
The first one is jpeg OOC.
Both were shot just before the night.

This lens is not bad for live shows too.
It appears to have good resistance to flare. Thanks for sharing!
03-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought I had written a review for the database here, but I can't find it; am I going senile? I owned this lens for some time, and really liked it. The focus ring is the best I've used on any lens, Pentax included. The lens does suffer from some purple fringing in high-contrast borders at wide apertures, but it wasn't anything terrible. It's also quite small, yet extremely solid feeling. I sold it when I bought the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. Here's a photo of my sample:

It's also a great safari lens

03-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

To complete the view...

03-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys for posting these pics. Just wondering, what is that stylized lettering in red beside the word "Tokina"? Mine has it as well and I've never been able to figure out what it meant.

And to Miserere: how would you compare this lens to your Tamron 28-75/2.8? Are they similar in terms of IQ, or not?
03-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
I always thought that the red symbol is Tokina's logo. I've seen it on all their old lenses.

FWIW, this lens is similar in style to a 28-85 f/3.5-4.5 I've seen - except this one has the A setting - nice.
03-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
And to Miserere: how would you compare this lens to your Tamron 28-75/2.8? Are they similar in terms of IQ, or not?
I sold the Tokina quite a while ago, but I seem to remember they were equal as far as sharpness goes, but the Tamron has far less purple fringing (to the point it's not a concern) due to the digital coatings, and a useful extra 7mm at the wide end. And it's AF too

With the Tokina you give up convenience more than anything else. It's a great lens.

03-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I always thought that the red symbol is Tokina's logo. I've seen it on all their old lenses.

FWIW, this lens is similar in style to a 28-85 f/3.5-4.5 I've seen - except this one has the A setting - nice.
Ok, I can sort of see that - it's a pair of stylized T's.

BTW, 28-85 sounds like a nice range.
03-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I sold the Tokina quite a while ago, but I seem to remember they were equal as far as sharpness goes, but the Tamron has far less purple fringing (to the point it's not a concern) due to the digital coatings, and a useful extra 7mm at the wide end. And it's AF too

With the Tokina you give up convenience more than anything else. It's a great lens.
Thanks, this is very useful as I've always wanted to get the Tamron (and I still intend to add one to my bag in the future), but in the meantime it looks like I can be content with the Tokina. But you are right about the features of the Tamron - I would really appreciate having AF.

I personally haven't noticed any PF issues with the Tokina, but then again I've only just started using it - some more shooting is in order.
03-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
Thanks, this is very useful as I've always wanted to get the Tamron (and I still intend to add one to my bag in the future), but in the meantime it looks like I can be content with the Tokina. But you are right about the features of the Tamron - I would really appreciate having AF.
The Tamron Also focuses a bit closer if I remember correctly.

QuoteQuote:
I personally haven't noticed any PF issues with the Tokina, but then again I've only just started using it - some more shooting is in order.
It's only an issue in high contrast situations, like tree branches against a grey sky. If you stay away from that type of scenes you won't have any problems.
03-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Ricoh pin of this lens, a problem or not?

I was looking for a fast "normal" zoom when i found exactly this Tokina for sale.

The vendor says that the Ricoh pin of the lens is safe, with AF digital bodies, as far as you remind yourself to put the iris ring in "A" position before mounting/removing the lens.

I didn't notice it first hand, but from the pictures i see that the ricoh pin looks like a ball-head one. From the infos i got online, i understand that even if the lens gets stuck, operating the MF-AF switch while turning the lens would allow to solve the problem.

Are the two assumptions true?
Any other relevant info?

thanks

CJ
03-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
I think the safest way to deal with the Ricoh pin is to unscrew the mount and take the pin out. Spend a few minutes doing this and then you don't have to worry about the pin.