Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

Pentax lenses with Canon EOS body

I saw on E-Bay several different manufacturers of adapters to allow the use of Pentax K-mount lenses on Canon EOS bodies, or at least I think I did. I have an ME Super, which I like very much, and am accumulating a few lenses, i.e M-28mm 2.8, M-50mm 1.4, and a Takumar A 70-200. I also have a Canon EOS Elan II with a 28-80mm AF zoom that is tolerable. I would like to use the Pentax lenses on the Canon body if possible because of its size and ergonomics. I know it will operate in Av as well as Manual. Would the Pentax lenses work on it in Av or would I need to run it only in Manual? Also, any suggestions on which brand of adapter to use? Or am I completely confused and need to go back to a 110 camera? Thanks.

03-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
krb

They work fine, I use manual Pentax lenses on my Canon digital SLRs all the time. The only issue I have is that my mount adapter is not a tight fit so the lens can wobble a little. Hasn't been an issue in actual use but it doesn't inspire confidence. If anybody can chime in with a specific brand (or ebay source) for adapters with better manufacturing tolerances I'd appreciate it.

One thing to be aware of is that the adapter has to lock the aperture lever to the closed position so stopping down the aperture ring darkens the viewfinder. Basically, the DOF preview button pressed down all the time.

It works fine in Av and M and mine has the focus confirmation chip so I can also use the AF system to confirm focus if I choose.
03-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I used to have a 5d and purchased 3 of these adapters, one with a chip that enables the focus confirmation function. The chip was glued to the adapter and fell off very quickly, luckily out of the camera. I didn't have any problems with the ones w/o the chip, but used them for only a couple of months before selling the camera.