Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #1

Next "Must Have" Lens?

Hey all,

As mentioned in my first post...I'm new to SLR's and am looking forward to utilizing this forum to learn the ropes.

Although I know I have a long way to go with the two kit DA L lenses that came with my K-X (18-55 & 55-300), I simply would like to ask;

What would be the next truly "must have" lense(s) for one's camera bag?

Overall, I'm most interested in shooting landscapes...and would like the ability to shoot superb night shots.

I would love to hear your opinions and why. Please share!

Thank you kindly.

03-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #2

I would look into getting a wide angle lens as the widest you have at the moment is 18 mm. If you want zoom you could look at either the sigma 10 -20 which has quite a cult following, or the Pentax 12-24. The Pentax has good reviews, but is also quite a bit more expensive than the Sigma. If you're willing to give prime lenses a go, you should also concider the Pentax DA 15mm ltd, which seems to be getting great reviews, although I've never tried it myself.
03-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MotoJB Quote
Hey all,

As mentioned in my first post...I'm new to SLR's and am looking forward to utilizing this forum to learn the ropes.

Although I know I have a long way to go with the two kit DA L lenses that came with my K-X (18-55 & 55-300), I simply would like to ask;

What would be the next truly "must have" lense(s) for one's camera bag?

Overall, I'm most interested in shooting landscapes...and would like the ability to shoot superb night shots.

I would love to hear your opinions and why. Please share!

Thank you kindly.
The range of your kit lenses covers a fair ground.

My advice is shoot shoot shoot with what you have got and then after a while you will see what focal length is your most used.

If your looking at primes as your next lens then select one of the fast quality lenses in your most used range and first of all read up on that lens for its pros and cons

This way you are bound to get the most satisfaction in your investment.

cheers

Neil
03-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the lenses alehel listed are excellent choices. But before taking the plunge, give the 2 lenses you already have a good workout and see where you want improvement. Do you need wider? Or faster? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but typically apertures less than f2.0 will be on prime lenses around 50mm.

03-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I fully agree with the two earlier posts. Use your lenses and learn to use them.

Then you could consider a fast prime: e.g., 50 mm f1.4 if you want to portait. These primes are really extraordinary for their image quality and they will give you some very interesting shooting experience (eg in low lights).

Welcome to the forum as a user and please post your photos...
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
From a fellow Kx owner go the fast 50 i got mine from a forum member a lovely Super Tak 1.4 its a manual lens but fitted my Budget
Cheers Mark
03-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would suggest one of those DA limited pancakes and be done with it, especially with the k-x. f2.8 on the k-x is quite alright for night shots...
03-16-2010, 03:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'll repeat my mantra

Ask yourself: 1) Where do I want to go? 2) What lens(es) will get me there? 3) What will make me happy, that I can afford?

To answer those, you have to shoot shoot shoot, to find what your current kit can do, and what it can't do that you want it to. Going from a very good P&S to a dSLR, what I couldn't do was 1) ultrawide, 2) long tele, 3) low light, and 4) good macro. So I got the DA10-17, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4 new, and (other brands, all manual, used) some f/2 primes, 90-macro, and 500-mirror, most quite cheap. (And many more cheapies, but that's another story.)

I consider the three Pentaxes my minimal kit. The manual primes extend my range. My next lenses (after I sell some stuff or get an inheritance) would be WR (weather resistant) 18-55 and 100-macro, so I can crawl around mud and beaches etc with my K20D. All these are based on: what do I want to do that I can't to with what I have? And sometimes it takes awhile to figure that out. So, shoot shoot shoot.

03-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you must first learn how to wield a sword, young padawan learner. train you must.
03-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #10

I would go with a DA 15mm f/4 Limited or a 50mm f/1.4 or 1.7. The 15mm is a great lens cause it is wider than what you have now. The 50mm with the wide open f/stop will let shoot higher shutter speeds in lower light. You may also want to consider the limited 40mm f/2.8 or 35mm f/2.8 macro. Both will allow lower light shooting with hight shutter speeds with a slightly wider angle than the 50mm. The 35mm macro will also allow you to get in to your subject very very close.
Good Luck
03-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening,

I too primary concentrate on landscapes and in particular evening and night shots. Before "investing" in any lenses (glass), I would use what you have , which is really quite good. Several things I would do, 1) learn how to stitch using the lens you have - primary the kit lens. 2) look at some support - tripods, etc. 3) do not forget about the software utilities.

In that you are potentially looking at night shots, I would prowl craiglist, fleabay or an old use camera store for a really cheap tripod. Now a lot of folks will violently disagree, but because they will say its money wasted. My point is that before spending on a good tripod and head (which can be pretty expensive), find out what features you like best (ball head or 3 way), etc. Do you need a panning head (for good level stitched images). My guess is that if your committed to landscapes, especially with low light, you will be looking for a good tripod, panning ball head, and lenses in the 10 to 24mm area. One thing, I would suggest, is that with landscapes, depth of field is usually important, so fast lenses (f2.8 and faster) really do not provide any advantage.

In the end you will probably find that f4 will be fast enough, and you will probably be looking at the DA12-24, DA15, and the DA 16-45. With a tripod, you really do not need fast lenses. You will need a remote shutter release (on the KX it needs to be an IR).

You will also find that wide angle lenses are expensive. Also, the mechanical components are also expensive (tripod, ball head, etc...). So all of this will probably become a multi-year acquisition process.

03-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #12

Original Poster
Great feedback all...thank you very much!

Heard you all loud and clear, and I will not take the plunge too soon. I have a lot of time of learning/play with what I already have.

Thanks again for the help/feedback and I will post my first photo "faves" as soon as I have anything worth showing.

Regards.

PS: Interested_observer - I already have a nice tripod and IR shutter release. Looking forward to trying them out. Knowing me, yes, this will continue to become a "multi-year acquisition" hobby that will only end when I do. ; )