Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #1

LBA impulse buy! Pentax 100mm 2.8 macro $521=$599-$48(bing)-$30(xbay bucks)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I thought this info. might be useful for some body who are planning to buy the new metal barrel (DA limited style) lens.

I was looking for a macro lens to replace my Tamron SP 90mm adaptall-2 lens.
Then I found this brand new DFA WR 100mm macro with 8 yeas world warranty on xbay by seller prodigital2000.
After a napkin calculation: $521=$599-$48(bing)-$30(xbay bucks)
I can also sell my latest Tamron SP 90mm macro adaptall-2 version with the PKA mount for ~$150(lens)+~$70(PKA mount).
So for ~$300 out of my pocket, I upgraded my 100mm macro lens.

03-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasxie Quote
I thought this info. might be useful for some body who are planning to buy the new metal barrel (DA limited style) lens.

I was looking for a macro lens to replace my Tamron SP 90mm adaptall-2 lens.
Then I found this brand new DFA WR 100mm macro with 8 yeas world warranty on xbay by seller prodigital2000.
After a napkin calculation: $521=$599-$48(bing)-$30(xbay bucks)
I can also sell my latest Tamron SP 90mm macro adaptall-2 version with the PKA mount for ~$150(lens)+~$70(PKA mount).
So for ~$300 out of my pocket, I upgraded my 100mm macro lens.
I ordered one too.. I hope they actually have them in stock. I did the Bing thing but what is xbay bucks? I may be offering up my Vivitar S1 105mm f2.8 to further offset the cost. Went a little wild this weekend. The 100mm and a DA12-24. They cost me my FA35, a K20d, a set of PK (real pentax) extension tubes, 2x Super Program film cameras, and an AF280T flash. New money out of pocket so far, $100. Might be time for me to put My PKA Tamron adapter back into circulation too... If I let that go along with the Vivitar, $ for $, I'll be about even. Long road getting there though.

03-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
...but what is xbay bucks?
I wondered too, so I googled it. It's an Ebay rewards program:

Link to FAQ

Right now it's in beta and only available by invitation.
03-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I wondered too, so I googled it. It's an Ebay rewards program:

Link to FAQ

Right now it's in beta and only available by invitation.
Thanks.. That is what I thought it was.. By the way, I blame You directly for starting my shopping spree this weekend with your Prodigital2000 thread.. It got me looking at what other good prices they may have. Then damn it, I went to B&H and dumped the DA12-24 in the shopping cart to 'see the price', $699 shipped. I had posted a Wanted ad for that lens and people were offering them to me at $650+.. Didn't make any sense to go used when new could be had for pennies more. My paypal account is still smoking......

03-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

JeffJS, if you sell your Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro, you'll just end up buying one back eventually like jsherman and Hinman did. May as well hold onto yours, and save yourself the trouble... Seriously though, while I understand that finances are often involved, I have a hard time understanding getting rid of a classic lens like the Vivitar/Lester Dine 105mm Macros. What's out there is all there is, and once you have one in your hands, my view is, don't let it go. Just my .02 cents. Congrats on the new lenses though--that is quite a haul.
03-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks.. That is what I thought it was.. By the way, I blame You directly for starting my shopping spree this weekend with your Prodigital2000 thread.. It got me looking at what other good prices they may have. Then damn it, I went to B&H and dumped the DA12-24 in the shopping cart to 'see the price', $699 shipped. I had posted a Wanted ad for that lens and people were offering them to me at $650+.. Didn't make any sense to go used when new could be had for pennies more. My paypal account is still smoking......

Heheh. Yeah, I saw that 100/2.8 WR and wanted to buy it in the worst way. But I have to prove to myself I'm going to do a lot more with macro photography before I'll let myself buy it.

Before I sell or auction something, I always check used sale prices and what a new one sells for. I'm amazed at the advertised prices some posters put on their used gear, only a few $$ more than brand new with warranty.

BTW, my DA70 is on its way from Prodigital, probably will be here by the end of the week. Can't wait!!

And re packaging, yesterday I received a partial order from B&H. Normally it's packed in a box with air cushions. This was in a padded envelope. Of course it was only the soft case for my FA50, but its box was smashed flat.... And what if I wanted to return it? The box certainly wasn't in "new" condition as they require for returns. In all the time I've been buying from B&H, I've never gotten anything in a padded envelope before. But no matter, I won't be returning the soft case, and I wouldn't have kept its box anyway. I just thought it was odd after our discussion of Prodigital sending lenses in padded envelopes!
03-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
JeffJS, if you sell your Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro, you'll just end up buying one back eventually like jsherman and Hinman did. May as well hold onto yours, and save yourself the trouble... Seriously though, while I understand that finances are often involved, I have a hard time understanding getting rid of a classic lens like the Vivitar/Lester Dine 105mm Macros. What's out there is all there is, and once you have one in your hands, my view is, don't let it go. Just my .02 cents. Congrats on the new lenses though--that is quite a haul.
I doubt I'll sell it. Even if I use it once or twice a year it's worth keeping to me. I bought it new for $175 4 years ago and it was a bargain then. I know I'll never replace it for that..
After I wrote the other response, I put the VivS1 on the K7 and went out for the once in a year event... and changed my mind about letting it go. I'd have to be mighty hungry to do sell it.

Heheh. Yeah, I saw that 100/2.8 WR and wanted to buy it in the worst way. But I have to prove to myself I'm going to do a lot more with macro photography before I'll let myself buy it.

Before I sell or auction something, I always check used sale prices and what a new one sells for. I'm amazed at the advertised prices some posters put on their used gear, only a few $$ more than brand new with warranty.

BTW, my DA70 is on its way from Prodigital, probably will be here by the end of the week. Can't wait!!

And re packaging, yesterday I received a partial order from B&H. Normally it's packed in a box with air cushions. This was in a padded envelope. Of course it was only the soft case for my FA50, but its box was smashed flat.... And what if I wanted to return it? The box certainly wasn't in "new" condition as they require for returns. In all the time I've been buying from B&H, I've never gotten anything in a padded envelope before. But no matter, I won't be returning the soft case, and I wouldn't have kept its box anyway. I just thought it was odd after our discussion of Prodigital sending lenses in padded envelopes!
Prodigital says they've sent my 100mm too. Doubt I'll see it this week though.

I Always shop. Even if it seems like a bargain, unless I know for a fact that it really is. Last week the B&H price for the 12-24 didn't have the add to cart for price option and was $829 or something like that. In that case, I would have gone used but I decided to check one more time. Glad I did..

I have Never received anything from B&H in a padded envelope. EVER. Even the most indestructible small items come in a ridiculously large box. They always come UPS or Fedex and the boxes look untouched. Did your case come via USPS? THEY, aren't always so careful.

03-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Prodigital says they've sent my 100mm too. Doubt I'll see it this week though.

I Always shop. Even if it seems like a bargain, unless I know for a fact that it really is. Last week the B&H price for the 12-24 didn't have the add to cart for price option and was $829 or something like that. In that case, I would have gone used but I decided to check one more time. Glad I did..

I have Never received anything from B&H in a padded envelope. EVER. Even the most indestructible small items come in a ridiculously large box. They always come UPS or Fedex and the boxes look untouched. Did your case come via USPS? THEY, aren't always so careful.

That's a fantastic photo, Jeff! Wonderful color.

I'm hoping I see my DA70 this week. According to UPS, it's still in Canada, but it's only Tuesday, and it only has to get as far as Lansing. So fingers crossed.

Strangely the padded envelope from B&H was sent via UPS. It was one of those plastic-coated padded envelopes. Frankly I was shocked, as I too usually get a big box with more air cushions than products inside.

Yes, I check prices regularly, too. Just as you found with your 12-24, those prices can bounce quickly. Not too long ago, prices on the DA70 were ~$550, so I'm relishing the deal I got from Prodigital. ... And trying not to drool on myself over that 100/2.8 WR macro!
03-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If anyone does think of dumping a "budget" 100mm (about) macro shoot me a PM....I am looking for something about $100 to use up here in Maine. Those "big boy" lenses are just way out of my league as price goes.
03-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #10

Just curious, but moving from the adaptall, why did you pay $120 more for the pentax (over the tamron 90mm dii), when the tamron is sharper wide open. Is the WR worth it, or do Pentax brand hold value better? Serious question, trying to make decision myself.
03-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a Lens Hood for my Tamron Sp 300mm f/2.8 in a padded envelope from BH. My DA 70mm from ProDigital is supposed to arrive on Thursday. I am pretty pumped.

Btw, congrats on the macro deal!!
03-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Just curious, but moving from the adaptall, why did you pay $120 more for the pentax (over the tamron 90mm dii), when the tamron is sharper wide open. Is the WR worth it, or do Pentax brand hold value better? Serious question, trying to make decision myself.
No-one uses a macro wide open. There would be zero DOF. Better to compare at f/16 or f/22. Or look at other factors like handling. And for many, yes, the WR makes a lot of sense: chasing dewdrops in the mist at 6am or bugs in a sudden downpour.
03-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #13
Inactive Account

That's a fantastic photo, Jeff! Wonderful color.

I'm hoping I see my DA70 this week. According to UPS, it's still in Canada, but it's only Tuesday, and it only has to get as far as Lansing. So fingers crossed.

Strangely the padded envelope from B&H was sent via UPS. It was one of those plastic-coated padded envelopes. Frankly I was shocked, as I too usually get a big box with more air cushions than products inside.

Yes, I check prices regularly, too. Just as you found with your 12-24, those prices can bounce quickly. Not too long ago, prices on the DA70 were ~$550, so I'm relishing the deal I got from Prodigital. ... And trying not to drool on myself over that 100/2.8 WR macro!
Thank you very much!

According to tracking info, both lenses will be here Thursday. Tracking info has been pretty spot on for quite some time. Usually arrives in the area and then takes a hot lap around Detroit before they actually put it on the truck and Out For Delivery shows up. Maybe that Crocus will still be around Friday so I can try out the 100mm and compare to the Vivitar..

I was kind of thinking about the 70 when I found the 100... I'm afraid we kind of hijacked this thread but it's all relevant I guess.

QuoteQuote:
The Tamron Adaptall 90mm f2.8 macro is a Manual focus lens. Not the same one as the currently offered Dii. I had one many moons ago and it was a nice lens but I didn't care for playing with the Adaptall too much. My Vivitar 105 replaced that lens.

03-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No-one uses a macro wide open.
Beg to differ, though I get what you mean.
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I was kind of thinking about the 70 when I found the 100... I'm afraid we kind of hijacked this thread but it's all relevant I guess.
My DA70 just showed up, and it was packed in a box with plenty of bubble wrap. Perhaps Prodigital is listening. I can't wait to get outside and see what it can do!

BTW, have you seen this thread on the 100/2.8WR Macro? I happened upon it yesterday:

Pentax DFA100/2.8 Macro

Or course it just makes me want the lens even more....