Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Mystery 'PENTAR' lens?

Hi, I'm new to the forum... hope you can help me out -

Looking for any possible info on a mystery 135mm f3.5 M42 lens labelled, 'PENTAR'.

I specifically trying to find out - is the lens made by Asahi Pentax? It seems similar to 'known' 135 Takumars but I can't find any other examples - anywhere online.

Here's a couple of images... thanks.

03-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Damn Brit

This might answer your question. Not a cheap knock off but a name change for legal reasons.

Asahi Pentar
Rare name variation, for cameras sold in South Africa. The Pentar name replaced the Pentax, which was registered by Pentacon at the time.
03-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks like the second version of the Takumar preset 135mm preset lens made until the mid-60s. The earlier version had a lot of chrome.

Edit: However, I don't think the Pentar lenses were actually made by Asahi. It was used on the camera bodies but the lenses were labeled with Takumar and Asahi Optical so the name on the lenses wouldn't have been an issue.

This image of an S is at the AOHC site Screw Mount Oddities

Last edited by Blue; 03-16-2010 at 01:16 PM.