Pentax DA 50-200mm 36.00%
Pentax DA 55-300mm 3978.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
They did not acknowledge that they may have received a bad copy, but they are not going to give a definitive conclusion based on the results of one single test sample.
actually they somehow did by this statement, "The tested sample showed an optical problem (centering) at 55mm which may have polluted the figures somewhat at this setting."

03-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
PFH
Site Supporter

I recently acquired the DA 55-300 and I just love it.
03-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
How about a 4th option, the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO? No one has mentioned it at all. Just curious as I have had the 50-200, 55-300 and the above lens. All are very good. Where I live the Pentax 55-300 is $389, the Sigma 70-300 is $279 (Canadian $).
Umm about that... I read some review... and it seemed like a good lens too, but I heard that they have some bad CQ on the lower end lenses, but that is just what I heard. This lens is a bit more expensive and is in between the 55-300mm... but I guess if it's only $100 more I'd be willing to get the Pentax.
03-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting dilemma.

I bought the Tamron with my K200D and had it for about 18mths before also buying the Pentax 55-300. Main reason...PF. I tend to shoot a lot of high contract images, and the purple fringe is horrible on the Tamron 70-300 (though mostly at the long end).

The Pentax 50-300 is just so much better for the high contrast work, and also produces better colors. This is in the bag always, and the Tamron gets little use now.

Save up if you can, but don't dismiss the Tamron if your requirements are less likely to produce PF. The 1:2 macro is also worth sometimes.

Chameleon by Tamron at 180mm Macro and Nissin 360TXP flash.

Good Luck, Kevin

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
03-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Interesting dilemma.

I bought the Tamron with my K200D and had it for about 18mths before also buying the Pentax 55-300. Main reason...PF. I tend to shoot a lot of high contract images, and the purple fringe is horrible on the Tamron 70-300 (though mostly at the long end).

The Pentax 50-300 is just so much better for the high contrast work, and also produces better colors. This is in the bag always, and the Tamron gets little use now.

Save up if you can, but don't dismiss the Tamron if your requirements are less likely to produce PF. The 1:2 macro is also worth sometimes.

Chameleon by Tamron at 180mm Macro and Nissin 360TXP flash.

Good Luck, Kevin
I actually... Don't know what I'm going to be taking in the future, I've liked taking Landscapes, but my kit lens's wide angle is good enough for me (plus I don't get to go out to landscapes that often). Recently I've just been taking pictures of anything really, getting into many different styles, so I'm not sure if there are going to be any high contrast work, but I do know that I will be using which ever lens I am going to get for a LONG time, until I get an idea of around which focal length I actually use a LOT.

I don't think I'll use the 1:2 macro that much. The worst case is PF even though it's not everywhere, I don't want to edit every single picture I take. Yeah I've heard good things about the Tamron though.

The thing that worries me most is getting a "bad" copy of the DA 55-300mm.
03-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Perhaps you need to experiment rather than seeking other opinions. I borrowed a 55-300 from a friend, and that "fixed" me after numerous unhappy moments with PF which I could not fix with my somewhat limited PP skills.

The Tamron might suit your needs perfectly, but only if you know what you are going to use it for and can test/experiment over that range. The Tamron IQ was very acceptable to me, but color was a bit soft compared to Pentax. IMO the Pentax 55-300 IQ is also better, but not if your on a budget.

Cheers, Kevin
03-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perhaps you need to experiment rather than seeking other opinions. I borrowed a 55-300 from a friend, and that "fixed" me after numerous unhappy moments with PF which I could not fix with my somewhat limited PP skills.

The Tamron might suit your needs perfectly, but only if you know what you are going to use it for and can test/experiment over that range. The Tamron IQ was very acceptable to me, but color was a bit soft compared to Pentax. IMO the Pentax 55-300 IQ is also better, but not if your on a budget.

Cheers, Kevin
Hehe, thanks man for the info. My PP skills are pretty limited as well... currently I struggle with the crop/resizing haha.
03-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

They did not acknowledge that they may have received a bad copy, but they are not going to give a definitive conclusion based on the results of one single test sample. I also said the results need to be collaborated by one or more independent test, before I would make any conclusion (buy the lens).

By the same token, Tamron lens that was tested was just one copy as well... The copy that was tested, was it an exceptionally well made copy from the production line or could it have been a 'Lemon' like the Pentax 55-300 that you allege photozone.de acknowledged it to be? We just have to believe either of the lenses were a random sample or the test becomes meaningless.

Thanks,
yeah, it's easy to dimiss test data when they don't work in your favor. :smile:

I don't see any purple fringing (on white against darker backdrop) here from my tamron 70-300:

just a tiny bit on that little head feather

and none on the head feather in this one:

these photos were straight from the cam

03-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PFH Quote
I recently acquired the DA 55-300 and I just love it.
x2

I also have a Quantaray 70-300 which I loved.......until I tried my wife's DA at which point I retired the Quantaray except for macro work
03-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Tokyoso, nice images. Are these examples at the long end of the lens?, as I found the PF to only occur >200 and get really bad >250mm.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the price performance of the Tamron, but I think the Pentax is better for my needs. What swung me was the number of high PF images in my situation or style.

Small example from the garden cropped to about 1/4 of original showing PF.
Attached Images

03-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
actually they somehow did by this statement, "The tested sample showed an optical problem (centering) at 55mm which may have polluted the figures somewhat at this setting."
If you go to their review of SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM lens they mention the same thing, only now they call it a "Pentax Tradition".

Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report

Thanks,
03-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Tokyoso, nice images. Are these examples at the long end of the lens?, as I found the PF to only occur >200 and get really bad >250mm.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the price performance of the Tamron, but I think the Pentax is better for my needs. What swung me was the number of high PF images in my situation or style.

Small example from the garden cropped to about 1/4 of original showing PF.
that looks horrible. kinda reminds me of the DA12-24 PF.
03-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If you go to their review of SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM lens they mention the same thing, only now they call it a "Pentax Tradition".

Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report

Thanks,
they could be correct with their decentering findings of that lens as well. not only Pentax lenses have these kinds of decentering as well, even Tamrons. mind you that these tested lenses were only handed to them by willing owners, so copy variation and lemons do occur. if such decentering phenomenon does exist with all Pentax lenses, such comments should had consistently appeared on every Pentax lens evaluation they made, but they don't.
03-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
How about a 4th option, the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO? No one has mentioned it at all. Just curious as I have had the 50-200, 55-300 and the above lens. All are very good. Where I live the Pentax 55-300 is $389, the Sigma 70-300 is $279 (Canadian $).

My Sigma suffered an aperture-blade death (unknown to me) perhaps simultaneously with my thought of selling it and the Pentax 50-200. Bought the Pentax 55-300 which is way better than either of those (and the 50-200 was better, only slightly, than the Sigma). The Sigma is sitting around somewhere waiting to be operated on, out of curiosity. The 50-200 is on my K100D (possible needs a lens-contact fix) in the closet.
03-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks, the cat was @250mm and the herons were @300mm.

QuoteQuote:
Perhaps it's the rugged, bold artistic style of yours (great images in your gallery btw). I very seldom find purple fringing from my tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro, if any its usually very little, probably due to my amaturish photography...

this one was taken @300mm with a little more reflective surfaces...

this one @220mm, I appear to have caught that dude's flash right off that piece of paper he taped onto it... but interestingly no PF...

or perhaps they sent me a good copy by mistake....