Pentax DA 50-200mm 36.00%
Pentax DA 55-300mm 3978.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Oh, if I bought the Tamron brand new it'd cost about half the price!
NecroticSoldier, then buy Tamron second hand and save lots. As Tokyoso indicates, you can do a lots with this lens and not have many PF problems (style/lighting dependent). It is a very good value lens. I just believe the Pentax is better, but more expensive. We all lust after more... I lust after a Sigma/Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, but probably would do it justice. LBA get you easily...

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
FYI, there is a new tamron 70-300 in the works. comes with vibration control, ultrasonic drive, etc. I'm loving tamrons all around at the moment.
Tamron 70-300 Bob Atkins Photography

but I should really keep this a secret...
Looks like they are designing a masterpiece... If it's as good as the marketing speech. Did you notice Sony model without VC. Interesting how SR customers all get the same lens with VC removed. I doubt the price is reduced much. So the juggernauts can-nik set the pricing for the rest of the after-market lens. But I suppose the increased sale volumes reduce the price for everyone.

03-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #47
Site Supporter

I think caution should be used when looking at lens reviews that shows purple fringing as in the Fa 35mm above. There is review of the FA 77mm ltd at photozone and they forced it to PF and compared it to the DA 70mm ltd but didn't force the latter to PF.

That's a lot like running your car into a concrete wall and writing about it getting all bent up.
03-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think caution should be used when looking at lens reviews that shows purple fringing as in the Fa 35mm above. There is review of the FA 77mm ltd at photozone and they forced it to PF and compared it to the DA 70mm ltd but didn't force the latter to PF.

That's a lot like running your car into a concrete wall and writing about it getting all bent up.
I strongly agree.
03-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Whaddaya guys think about the 50-200mm? Why has no one voted for it? (that's really strange...) It has shorter range sure... but it costs just about the same as a Tamron and has the IQ of a Pentax. That's what I've been wondering... but so far in my head it's the Tamron versus DA 55-300mm.

03-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Whaddaya guys think about the 50-200mm? Why has no one voted for it? (that's really strange...) It has shorter range sure... but it costs just about the same as a Tamron and has the IQ of a Pentax. That's what I've been wondering... but so far in my head it's the Tamron versus DA 55-300mm.
Go back and look at my first post again. I will give compactness to the 50-200mm but the 55-300mm is not bad in its most compact form and got it into some Division I NCAA college football games. If I were to go with the 50-200mm, I would go with the WR version because it was updated with the SP as well. Non the less, I still pick the 55-300mm as far as anything off of that list.
03-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #51
Inactive Account

I'll vote for the 50-200

I used it exclusively today on a family trip; Bowen Island, BC, Canada Photo Gallery by ajuett at pbase.com from the 8th photo onward and all the 3rd page as well. See what you think. Some were using a B+W CP. A plus is the filter thread is 52mm on both the kit DA-L 18-55 and DA 50-200.
03-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #52
Inactive Account

RE Purple Fringing

Purple Fringing: I can make ANY of my lenses do it, from my least expensive to the Most expensive. I can make it happen on Any of my cameras. Here's my K7 wearing the DA12-24

Pretty bad, right? I think we can all agree that this is the most likely situation. Blackish objects against a White background. The focal point of the photo is actually my dog standing up at the back fence. Zoomed in on the menagerie on the line poles:

After playing around with this a little bit I discovered that it's a function mostly of White balance, and Exposure.

From there a little bit of correction (note the 300% zoom so I can Really see what I have:

The corrected version (click for peeper version)

From there, some of my layer masking to bring the sky detail out:

and the Final image (click for peeper version)..

Last edited by JeffJS; 03-20-2010 at 08:45 PM.
03-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff, That really helped. It is true about what you said... it can happen to any lens on any camera. So yeah... the purple fringing on the Tamron isn't that bad,but I guess it boils down to the price and IQ.
03-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Purple Fringing: I can make ANY of my lenses do it, from my least expensive to the Most expensive. I can make it happen on Any of my cameras. Here's my K7 wearing the DA12-24
that's quite some handy PF work there with the lenses.