Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I do not think many of us here would argue your MF 28mm & 50mm are not good enough for the job. The question really is, are you experienced enough with MF, particularly at large apertures, on crop sensor DSLRs, to trust the memories of your friends' wedding? Chances are, based on your thread, you are not.

How fast are these 2 MF primes? You most certainly would want to be taking advantage of their larger apertures, under the tent. MF primes and large apertures are so much fun, but not under pressure situations--I don't think--not unless you have lots of experience.

I think this is why many of us are pointing you in the direction of a fast, AF prime, or zoom with comparable IQ. Best of luck to you.
my first wedding shoot experience was when I was using a fast 50/1.4 lens with an FF film slr. it was really no problem shooting at a fast pace. of course, I was using a camera with a split screen. it does help a lot with mf.

03-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I could understand someone not comfortable with manual focus being reluctant to use a manual 28 and 50. What I don't understand is the problem with the 16-45 given it's not a low light situation. Add one telephoto lens for shots at the altar and it seems you'd be set. As I said, it seems even someone not comfortable with MF for moving subjects could probably handle it just fine for bridge/groom/altar shots, but given the light, there's no reason a cheap AF zoom wouldn't work just fine.
03-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks Guys for all this input, I am confident in my abilities, I know how to use my K-7 but the only thing I am not sure of is shooting a wedding using my MF, my 50mm is a 1.7 so it is fast. But I am worried I will miss a lot with a MF lens attached. She told me the way the tent would be set up it would be bright and most of the time it would be outside.

I let my friend know that I haven't done anything remotely close to a wedding, I shot a banquet last year which worked out great, but she insisted that I shoot her wedding and I reiterated to her that trusting a first timer might not be such a good idea for her most important day. She is confident in my abilities and I hate to say no so I will jump at the chance! I am not the nervous type, I have been in a lot of wedding parties (9) and I have talked to a lot of the photographers, and watched carefully I know that doesn't equal experience but it's all I got! I know its a huge responsibility and I am ready for the challenge. One of my few fears is just being prepared and having all the equipment I need lenses,batteries, sd cards, etc...

I have a flash but I don't have a second digital body I have a Nikon F100 but I might pick up a second digital. I really only like using primes which is why I have 2 MF primes. I was looking into purchasing a 35mm ltd. as well as a good zoom, but if I can get away with the 16-45 on one body and the 35mm on the K-7 then I will go that route.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the help again.
John

Last edited by noquarter15; 03-19-2010 at 11:58 AM.
03-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noquarter15 Quote
Thanks Guys for all this input, I am confident in my abilities, I know how to use my K-7 but the only thing I am not sure of is shooting a wedding using my MF, my 50mm is a 1.7 so it is fast. But I am worried I will miss a lot with a MF lens attached. She told me the way the tent would be set up it would be bright and most of the time it would be outside.

I let my friend know that I haven't done anything remotely close to a wedding, I shot a banquet last year which worked out great, but she insisted that I shoot her wedding and I reiterated to her that trusting a first timer might not be such a good idea for her most important day. She is confident in my abilities and I hate to say no so I will jump at the chance! I am not the nervous type, I have been in a lot of wedding parties (9) and I have talked to a lot of the photographers, and watched carefully I know that doesn't equal experience but it's all I got! I know its a huge responsibility and I am ready for the challenge. One of my few fears is just being prepared and having all the equipment I need lenses,batteries, sd cards, etc...

I have a flash but I don't have a second digital body I have a Nikon F100 but I might pick up a second digital. I really only like using primes which is why I have 2 MF primes. I was looking into purchasing a 35mm ltd. as well as a good zoom, but if I can get away with the 16-45 on one body and the 35mm on the K-7 then I will go that route.

What do you guys think?

John
I've done a total of ONE (1) wedding in my life. That is, I was THE photographer. That was for my nephew and the work was a gift for him. He's now divorced but that's another story entirely.

The cameras I used were a Mamiya RB67 ProS for the formal ceremony and formal after wedding photos (the ones where everybody poses in different combos). I only had a 90mm lens for that camera and 3 film backs so I could switch them out. The camera I used for the reception was my Olympus OM4 with a single 50mm f1:1.2 lens. The flash on the Mamiya was a Metz 60 CT4 and I had a prism on the camera. That rig was like carrying a cinderblock. The flash on the OM4 was my little Vivitar 550FD.

The pictures turned out great. Get some candids of each getting ready. Get the march down the aisle of all the members. Take a few of the ceremony without being intrusive. After the ceremony, Make sure you get the bride, the bride and groom, each with their immediate families (parents, etc), the wedding party, the wedding party with the bride and groom, etc. At the reception get the arrival of the bride and groom. Get photos of everyone shoveling food into their mouths (can you tell I HATE weddings yet?). Get the cake cutting and the dumbass smash the cake in the face that they always insist on doing. Get the first dance, the dance with mom and dad, etc. Get lots of candids of the guests doing their thing. Get the garter and bouqet toss.

Remember that your job is to make the bride and groom look good on HER special day (most grooms don't give a shit), not to party, not to get stinking drunk, or to direct the wedding reception (I hate wedding photogs that do that and I'm not too fond of DJs that do it either). Then go home and rest. It's a tiring experience and next time I'm asked to do a wedding, my answer will be a solid NO.

If all goes well at the end of it, you'll still have a friend.. If not, you'll be in court

Good luck.

03-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: my first wedding shoot experience was when I was using a fast 50/1.4 lens with an FF film slr. it was really no problem shooting at a fast pace. of course, I was using a camera with a split screen. it does help a lot with mf.
Yes, a split prism is a fantastic tool for manually focusing at larger apertures. I love mine, would not shoot without one. My dream camera (are you listening Pentax LOL) is one which has 2 or more internal focusing screens, available for changing, at the touch of a switch.

However. the viewfinder on these crop sensor DSLRs is so inferior to the ones on a FF film camera--no comparison. I don't care if you have the $500 Katz Eye installed, you can not get the view in these crop sensors you get on the FF ones. Indeed, the only reason I want a FF camera, is for the viewfinder--seriously.
03-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: What I don't understand is the problem with the 16-45 given it's not a low light situation.
I like the 16-45 in this situation.

QuoteQuote:
jewelltrail: That said, it does not mean you must have the best equipment. The ISO performance of the K7 is good enough to allow you to use the 16-45 at a wedding--for sure--so long as you have some experience shooting @ higher ISOs. But I think you would really benefit from a faster zoom too--something like the Pentax 50-135 2.8 or either of the Sigma/Tamron 70-200 2.8s.
03-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still wouldn't be caught at this event without the 50-135 2.8 It's by far my most versatile lens.
03-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noquarter15 Quote

What do you guys think?

John
I have never shot a wedding, and have only attended two, including my own. We had my mother (the only other person at our wedding, except the person performing the ceremony) take about a dozen pictures before and right after our wedding, with her Canon film P&S. A couple of them were good pictures, and we're fine with having just them. The point is, it isn't all that big of a responsibility, and today with digital it's much easier, because you can see the the results right away. If you miss something important, just ask people to do whatever they were doing again.

I wouldn't buy another body unless you want one anyway. I would think the 16-45mm (which I have) would be just perfect. I understand the MF issue. I could focus fairly well with my film camera, but have all I can do to just see through the K100, much less focus a lens through it. You should have a spare camera just in case, though. Maybe borrow somebody's P&S if you can.

Why do you prefer using only fixed focal length lenses?

Paul