Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #1

I need lens help/advice

Hi all, My friends asked me to shoot their wedding, I own a K-7 with a 16-45mm lens along with MF 28mm and 50mm which obviously wouldn't work at a wedding. Can anyone point me in the right direction with which lenses I should pick up to shoot a wedding? Lucky for me the ceremony and reception will be in a big tent on a farm so there will be plenty of natural light to work with.

Thanks.

03-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Search for the many threads here on wedding photography. The consensus is: If you haven't shot weddings before, don't start now. Intern with a wedding pro, see how it's done. Otherwise, expect disaster, end of friendship, etc. One suggestion: the loving couple should buy a box or three of disposable cameras, pass them out to guests, collect them when the event is over, get everything processed and printed. That way they have nobody to blame.
03-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noquarter15 Quote
Hi all, My friends asked me to shoot their wedding, I own a K-7 with a 16-45mm lens along with MF 28mm and 50mm which obviously wouldn't work at a wedding. Can anyone point me in the right direction with which lenses I should pick up to shoot a wedding? Lucky for me the ceremony and reception will be in a big tent on a farm so there will be plenty of natural light to work with.

Thanks.
Why won't the 28 and 50 work for a Wedding? Is there some special coating on the white dress and tuxedos that prevent them from absorbing and reflecting light??

I'm not going to suggest lenses because I think the ones you have will work. What I suggest is that you learn to use the camera. Having plenty of natural light on the Ouside of a Tent does not equal plenty of light Inside the tent. I suggest you learn to use the metering modes and make your tests inside a similar structure.

03-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree you should think twice about agreeing if you aren't already confident about it, but would also agree that I can't imagine why you'd think your current lenses won't work. At msot, I'd think adding something longer to get the bridge and groom on the alter would be nice. If there's plenry of light, no reason that couldn't be a cheap zoom; otherwise, another longer MF prime should do the trick nicely.

03-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
noquarter15: I own a K-7 with a 16-45mm lens along with MF 28mm and 50mm which obviously wouldn't work at a wedding.
I understand why you are reluctant to shoot with the 2 manual focus primes at the wedding. They are your friends, and will forgive a good deal, but you may miss too much with MF lenses. If you were only there to take shots for yourself, that would be different, but to shoot their wedding for them means you must be responsible. Towards that end, you need to have the equipment.

That said, it does not mean you must have the best equipment. The ISO performance of the K7 is good enough to allow you to use the 16-45 at a wedding--for sure--so long as you have some experience shooting @ higher ISOs. But I think you would really benefit from a faster zoom too--something like the Pentax 50-135 2.8 or either of the Sigma/Tamron 70-200 2.8s. You can rent these--possibly, if cost plays a decisive role here. Or you could rent/buy a fast prime. It really depends on your budget. Perhaps, if you offer your skills as a gift, they would pay rental fees to ensure they get quality files, ones which will print up LARGE and beautiful if the picture warrants it.

I'm not sure how this tent setup is, but I have shot under tents and the lighting is, to a large degree blocked more than I thought it would be. Especially if it is one of those tens which have side flaps in case of bad weather. You are better off having more speed than you think you need. Can you shoot under one of these tents, just to get an idea of exactly how much light there is, enough before the wedding so that you can make crucial decisions with respect to equipment?

Finally, do you own a flash?

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 03-17-2010 at 08:09 PM.
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You need a 2nd body IMHO. Put your wide zoom on 1 body, and a tele zoom on the other.
03-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

DFA 100 Macro, a great lens for wedding.

03-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #8

As people already stated, beside the lenses, you need to have a second body + a flash + extra memory card + extra battery. Like my set up, I do have a 50-135 and 31, so I just need to add a wide angle zoom like 16-50 or 10-20.
03-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Once must be the first time. I did shoot one wedding (in the film days, MF) without experience and it was for friends. I told them that there was no guarantee about quality or success. We discussed in advance of what they specifically wanted pictures of. I also told them that I would print all photos for them and would give them the negatives and prints as an extra present, but that they should do the rest (selection, enlarging, album). They accepted.

I shot about 400 photos of which roughly 90% where good enough to keep and they made an album of roughly 100 out of that.
Will I do it again? Reluctantly yes and more than likely with film. Not comfotable enough with digital yet.

If you don't have a flash, get the best one you can get. Once you have a flash, practice with it till you drop dead (nah, just about, else your friends must look for another photographer). I consider that far more important for this occasion than an extra lens (seen from what you have).
03-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

the 16-45 and a fast 50 would do your bidding. a 2nd body may come in handy. maybe you could find a $200 K10D. also, flash is a necessity.
03-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
Forum Member

Tent wedding

I have shot a few weddings under a tent. You need to find out all that you can about the wedding. Do you know if they will have a dance floor under the tent? Will the reception be under the tent? Depending on the time of day and whether or not it is overcast there may or may not be enough good light. You will need a flash and a good diffuser for the reception if it is under the tent. It can be a little tricky with the bounce under a tent especially in the corners where the tent comes down low. Be sure that you have plenty of batteries for the flash. You will likely need three to four sets of batteries. I have a Metz 58 and some claim it is the best speedlight that you can get for any camera. I like mine. If the 16-45 is 2.8 it should be all that you will need for the wedding. If not get the Pentax 16-50 f2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. I have the Sigma and it is a very good lens. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't render red colors very accurately. I am considering getting the Pentax 16-50 f2.8 for that reason. I bought the Sigma when they were having QC issues with the Pentax 16-50. I prefer the way Pentax lens render color. Both of my Sigma lens seem to have the issue with Red. I think it has something to do with the coatings but the optics otherwise are excellent.
03-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have shot events (not weddings) under a tent and there are a few other factors to consider. Sometimes they use clear tent sides or luminous white sides to let more light in. These can create a backlight problem. Striped canvas tents can also create uneven lighting. Be prepared for anything with a bright sun. You may also get to contend with wind, uneven ground, cramped spaces, humidity, insects, or rain. But you can do it if you're prepared.
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

My most used lenses for weddings are the 31LTD and the 55/1.4, so I think the 28 and 50 would be a very good combo.
However, wedding photography is not something that should be taken lightly. I trained for three years as an assistant before I shot my first wedding, and I still get my shorts in a knot for several days prior to a wedding job.

I don't use zooms at all.

I've only been shooting weddings for 37 years, so take my opinions for what you think they are worth.
03-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't shot a wedding, but I think I'd be looking at the 50-135 f2.8 and depending on the lighting the 55mm 1.4 or the 77mm 1.8.
03-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Hi all, My friends asked me to shoot their wedding, I own a K-7 with a 16-45mm lens along with MF 28mm and 50mm which obviously wouldn't work at a wedding
I do not think many of us here would argue your MF 28mm & 50mm are not good enough for the job. The question really is, are you experienced enough with MF, particularly at large apertures, on crop sensor DSLRs, to trust the memories of your friends' wedding? Chances are, based on your thread, you are not.

How fast are these 2 MF primes? You most certainly would want to be taking advantage of their larger apertures, under the tent. MF primes and large apertures are so much fun, but not under pressure situations--I don't think--not unless you have lots of experience.

I think this is why many of us are pointing you in the direction of a fast, AF prime, or zoom with comparable IQ. Best of luck to you.