Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The FA 31mm on the market is made in Japan or Vietnam?

I wanna buy a FA 31mm black edition recently.

And I heard that there is no FA 31mm made in Japan now on the market. Is that ture?

03-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #2

I just bought a brand new 31mm ltd from B&H, and it is made in Vietnam ^___^ I am happy with my beautiful and magical lens
03-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AirSupply Quote
I just bought a brand new 31mm ltd from B&H, and it is made in Vietnam ^___^ I am happy with my beautiful and magical lens
SO there is no "MADE IN JAPAN" on the lens body, which is replaced by a series number?
03-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #4

Actually, I just saw the words "Assembly in Vietnam" on the box. I couldn't find them on the lens body itself .... But you know, my lens is perfect, and I am not getting nervous with the theory of "Made in Japan". It is nice to get a MIJ one, but I will not die hard for that

03-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
does it matter where it was made?
03-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
does it matter where it was made?
Obviously it does for some
03-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The ones that are made in Japan will clearly have Made in Japan engraved in white letters on the lens. But on the Vietnam versions, it's removed and does not show Japan anywhere. There's no optical, mechanical, or build differences between the two. Some people just like the made in Japan versions better because Japan is... well... Japan.
03-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

made in japan used to mean total junk, 15 yrs ago.

03-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you want a Made in Japan, you can look on the used market. I wouldn't worry though - there is no evidence of any difference. Vietnam lenses may have an "Assembled in Vietnam" note somewhere on the body, which makes me wonder - are they just assembled there and the parts are still made in Japan?
03-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
made in japan used to mean total junk, 15 yrs ago.
15 years ago??? What year are you living in? After WWII Japan began to copy western technology cheaply and slowly the quality was risen to a superior level and even later they became the driving force in technology they are today. But I believe the "total junk" days were over in the 80s at the latest.

China seems to be doing exactly the same and in many fields they are IMO now somewhere in the grey zone between cheap copies and bleeding edge.
03-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #11

31 MIJ new also very rare in Japan.

listed at auction.yahoo japan, 3 days left.

03-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am wondering why it matters where it is assembled.
Is there evidence that the Viet Namese people's skills and craftsmanship
are inherently inferior to that of the Japanese, or is that just an assumption by some?
03-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I am wondering why it matters where it is assembled.
Is there evidence that the Viet Namese people's skills and craftsmanship
are inherently inferior to that of the Japanese, or is that just an assumption by some?
It is an assumption. And I find it frusterating because I know what this is going to turn into. I am going to pay $1000.00 for a Fa 31mm and poeple going to think the MIJ version is better and I am going to be stuck with a lens that is worth less than it should be.
03-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

These lenses are so expensive it is a long shot that anyone has two differenc copies but I am curious, especially with all this talk, to see if there is any difference in quality between MIJ vs. assembled in Vietnam.
03-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
These lenses are so expensive it is a long shot that anyone has two differenc copies but I am curious, especially with all this talk, to see if there is any difference in quality between MIJ vs. assembled in Vietnam.
This is what Ned Bunnell, president of pentax USA said about this after the comparision.

NED BUNNELL: Country of Origin Debate over Lenses Not New

My friendly UPS guy should have left my AIV FA31 at my doorstep today, but I am not planning to sell it, so was not worried it wasn't MIJ. (A MIJ, used FA31 went for more than a new one in ebay recently so I am sure some are willing to pay for MIJ - I can't find it in the archives so may be I was dreaming......, I got my AIV used for $800 including shipping).

Last edited by pcarfan; 03-18-2010 at 11:13 AM.