Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
replacing my Bigma

Well, I have had the Sigma 50-500mm lens for some years now, and I have appreciated its capabilities. But I find myself using it less, both because of its bulk/weight/length and its image quality (which is good but not superb).

Should I send the lens in to Sigma for adjustment, and hope the IQ problem is more a matter of poor adjustment?

Should I accept that, for long focal length reach, it is as good as I am going to get, unless I win the lottery and can put $5000-10,000 into a 400mm f2.8 or 600mm f4?

Should I sell it and use the money to pick up another (better) kind of long focal length lens? If so, what? the Sigma 100-300 f4?

Any help appreciated. I feel stuck.

03-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #2

I took along time to decide which lens to get and picked the 100-300 F4 Sigma. But I don't think its that much lighter or smaller then the Bigma. It does take great pictures though. I also got the 1.4 TC but haven't used it much. It uses a 82mm filter. It sits very well on a tripod with the removeable foot. I would suggest you check out the size part of it because I am pretty sure you would find the IQ of the 100-300 very good. I picked mine up from Adorama but they come up on the used market often, but at so close to full price I just went with a new one. Good luck !!!!
03-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Well, I have had the Sigma 50-500mm lens for some years now, and I have appreciated its capabilities. But I find myself using it less, both because of its bulk/weight/length and its image quality (which is good but not superb).

Should I send the lens in to Sigma for adjustment, and hope the IQ problem is more a matter of poor adjustment?

Should I accept that, for long focal length reach, it is as good as I am going to get, unless I win the lottery and can put $5000-10,000 into a 400mm f2.8 or 600mm f4?

Should I sell it and use the money to pick up another (better) kind of long focal length lens? If so, what? the Sigma 100-300 f4?

Any help appreciated. I feel stuck.
Obviously the choice is yours, but I will freely distribute some thoughts:

If you need the reach of the Bigma (app. 500mm fl), you would need to add a tc to the 100-300/4, which after all will degrade its otherwise superb IQ and also will make it similarily slow as the Bigma is. I am not sure, this will offer any advantage for you.

If you feel disappointed with the IQ of the Bigma, I can hardly imagine, that the IQ simply "degraded" over time, unless it had a fall or other misfortune. So, assuming the lens is fine, your gained experience and higher expectations, that come with experience, may simply have reached the limits of what the Bigma can deliever. In that case, I would suggest you should forego zooms and go into the prime lens direction. (I won't rule out, you got a sub-optimal copy, though.)

The Pentax DA 300/4 has a very good reputation and can be used with the Tamron 1.4x tc with excellent results, as many, many example images on this site proof. Also the Sigma 300/2.8 would be a possibllity, as it matches with the two Sigma tcs to give you a very versatile combination (300/2.8 - 420/4 – 600/5.6). I personally love my 300/2.8 (though not a Siggi, but an ancient Tamron), but still use the Bigma more often…

Something in the middle would be a 400/5.6 lens. From time to time you may find a Pentax FA version on ebay (2,500 USD or so) or (if you are willing to manually focus) a Pentax smc-A would also fullfill the bill in terms of IQ for much less money (around 500-700 USD). I have the A-version and it is a very fine and capable lens, which I find even sharper than the praised A* 300/4, despite its lacking of the *-denomination.

Ben
03-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Have you noticed a degredation of the IQ over time? Or is it merely that you've become more critical over time? Sometimes we simply outgrow our lenses. As our skill as photographers increases, we develop a more critical eye and begin to notice defects in our consumer grade glass that didn't bother us before. If this is what's happened in your case, then it's time to move on.

QuoteQuote:
If you need the entire focal range of the Sigma, it's an excellent choice. But if you think you'd mostly be using the lens at the long end of the zoom, the Pentax DA 300 f4 would be a better choice.

03-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You folks have raised relevant questions that I should have addressed in my original post.

No, I do not have reason to believe that the Bigma IQ has degraded over time. I NEVER felt it was all that great. Does that suggest a "sub-optimal copy"? Or am I (and was I) simply expecting too much IQ for a (now somewhat old) 10x superzoom? Would it cost much to send it in to Sigma for the camera equivalent of a "CLA"?

No, I do not typically use Bigma for its zoom range as much as for its reach. It's the 400-500mm reach that I crave. So, yes, a prime in that range would be an option. I figure I could sell Bigma for somewhere in the (what?) $750-850 range. How much more would I have to invest? I confess that a 300 f2.8 sounds tempting, if for no other reason than the glass in the constant 2.8 large zooms tends to be the best, having been designed mostly for pros who expect excellent IQ even wide open.

I already have a Sigma 1.4x tc. But I don't mind switching brands to a Tamron or some other.

Wish I could afford Pentax primes, but at those focal lengths there are very few copies and they are out of my financial reach.
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, I would add that the newly announced version of the Bigma:

New Sigma 50-500 OS Zoom Lens photo from the PhotographyREVIEW.com Gallery

Note it's NOT an EX build. So it will have only a 1-yr warranty. I gave up my Bigmos for the same reason...I liked the lense a lot but given only a 1yr warranty I sold in within the first year after having some fun with it. Big lenses = heavy glass and lots of potential to fail for the OS as well as AF.

So, if you are even somewhat seduced by the new OS version Bigma, just take that into consideration. I know I was surprised.