Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Drop survival: Metal VS Plastic lenses

of course, BY ACCIDENT. lol

Which of the 2 has more chance of survival when accidentally dropped?

I personally have dropped a metal zoom, about 4 feet. Focus ring got dent and is now stuck completely!

Now plastics wont dent right? but will they protect the glass?

03-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I managed to drop my brand new da15 limited onto concrete from 4 feet! It landed on the mount end at an angle, luckily it was in it's pouch. Only damage was the pouch was cut through by the edge of the metal. Lens was perfect and still takes superb pictures.
03-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It's going to be a crap shoot no matter what. A metal lens may or may not break, while a lens with lots of plastic may appear to not break, but have something knocked loose on the inside because the plastic body deformed on impact.
03-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some plastics that are incredibly tough. There's no way to really tell until an accident happens. That can also be said about metals also. Lenses aren't made to be bounced. Also be aware that damage may not show up until later. A small dent could cause premature wear in moving parts. An impact can partially loosen something and it will appear fine until it comes apart sometime down the road.

03-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

rule of thumb

Never drop your camera or lens onto concrete. Drop onto your foot (always wear high-impact shoes or boots), someone else's foot, a small animal, etc. Some of my lenses are perfect for crushing kittens, stray chihuahuas, anteaters, whatever. Remember, your gear is worth more than they are.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Drop-kick me, Pentax, through the f-stop of life."
03-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
... Some of my lenses are perfect for crushing kittens, stray chihuahuas, anteaters, whatever. Remember, your gear is worth more than they are.
An unreliable strategy. My Chihuahua can wake up from a sound sleep and be two feet away before the lens hits him, and he is a pampered pet.

03-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
An unreliable strategy. My Chihuahua can wake up from a sound sleep and be two feet away before the lens hits him, and he is a pampered pet.
Your pampered pet is not a stray. Not yet, anyway.

Which reminds me. A couple days ago in a suburban neighborhood, I observed a front yard scenario. A tabby cat stood in the middle of the yard, fluffed. A chihuahua ran in fast circles about the cat, at a distance of just over one yard/meter. This continued whilst I drove slowly past. I was not tempted to throw a heavy lens.

03-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have dropped 2 lenses with camera attached in the past 25 years. The first was an A 50mm f2 and the last was an FA 50mm. Both survived without a scratch but the hoya and tiffen UV filters were shattered to hell. (those were at 2 to 3 ft with the latter on wood decking. Both hit on the leading edge of the lens and tumbled). I was very luck both times.