Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Match 11: SMC Takumar 1:1.4 50mm vs. Sears Auto 1:1.4 f=55mm

The Normal Lens Shootout is getting down to the final matches. (Whew!)

This one pits a relatively generic 55mm against one of my most-used lenses. Check it out here!

And as usual, a picture from the match:

Thanks for looking!
--Sean

07-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Once again a great work done. No surprise here of course.

It is facinating that the differences between the lenses (thinking of the whole shootout now) really aren't that big.

One question: In match 3 (M50/2 vs FA50/1.4) you mention the problem with axial CA and color fringing at high contrast areas. Then in match 10 (where again the FA50/1.4 is involved) it is mentioned again.

I haven't seen any other comments on this. I may have missed them somehow of course, but I wonder if you, very understandable, gets a little tired of this intensive test shooting. Or is it that CA hasn't been a grave problem in any other matches?

Thanks again!!
07-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Once again a great work done. No surprise here of course.

It is facinating that the differences between the lenses (thinking of the whole shootout now) really aren't that big.

One question: In match 3 (M50/2 vs FA50/1.4) you mention the problem with axial CA and color fringing at high contrast areas. Then in match 10 (where again the FA50/1.4 is involved) it is mentioned again.

I haven't seen any other comments on this. I may have missed them somehow of course, but I wonder if you, very understandable, gets a little tired of this intensive test shooting. Or is it that CA hasn't been a grave problem in any other matches?

Thanks again!!
Thank you, Jonas.

I agree that the lenses are not that far apart in totality. Granted, 11 of the lenses are made by the same manufacturer, so this should not be too surprising. I don't suppose there is a hair's width between the SMC Takumar 50/1.4 and the SMC Pentax-FA 50/1.4.

As for some of the problems (and strengths) mentioned in the first matches, I tried not to repeat the same thoughts unless they were particularly relevant. I write this with my audience being the same 14 people that have read every one!
07-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
-snip-
As for some of the problems (and strengths) mentioned in the first matches, I tried not to repeat the same thoughts unless they were particularly relevant. I write this with my audience being the same 14 people that have read every one!
14 only? Well, don't you think some of us need facts repeated? But ok, not particularly relevant - that i can buy.

regards,

07-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I write this with my audience being the same 14 people that have read every one!
Now, I feel special! I must be one of only 14 in the world who've read all of these. Evem though I'm not a technical type, nor a pixel-peeper, I think they're really interesting and illuminating. I just don't want to look that closely at my own pictures :).
07-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I found every sample shot you took artistic in deed. They are not just "testing" pics. Some of the shots had the bokeh just so dreamingly beautiful.

I had seen some people posting shots of Sear 55mm f1.4 before and their photos are no where near as neat and sharp as yours!

I cannot wait to see the end of this match!
07-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Forum Member

Hi Carpents,

As I posted elsewhere, I just bought a brand new K10D body and am looking for a good portrait lens for baby pictures for my wife and I's first child (Due Thanksgiving). After reading your reviews and seeing the pictures, I'm thinking it might be a fun way for me to get used to the K10D over the next few months to use one of these manual fast 50's. However, I'm not good on my Pentax mount history and don't know what adaptors are needed for various lenses. Could you refer me to what adaptor/equipment one would need to mount some of these lenses your testing and to use them properly on the K10D?

Thanks!
07-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Any k mount lens doesn't need an adapter to be used on the k10d, or any pentax dslr for that matter.

If you have m42 screw mount lenses, than you need a m42 to k mount adapter. There's a pentax made one and several others made by oems. I've read that the pentax one is the one to get as the other adapters often have problems focusing to infinity.

07-13-2007, 04:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Now, I feel special!
You are special, Betsy!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I had seen some people posting shots of Sear 55mm f1.4 before and their photos are no where near as neat and sharp as yours!
Hi James! I've seen some other impressive work with this lens and its clones. Check out this Pbase gallery by dazedgonebye for some great shots with it.
(Thanks for the comments, too.)

QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
Hi Carpents,

As I posted elsewhere, I just bought a brand new K10D body and am looking for a good portrait lens for baby pictures for my wife and I's first child (Due Thanksgiving).
Hi Anthro!
Like Deni replied, you can fit any Pentax bayonet on your camera without adapters. Those are from the following series:
SMC Pentax
SMC Pentax-M
SMC Pentax-A

There are also a couple "Takumar (Bayonet)" [Note: They say the word 'Bayonet' on them] lenses out there in 28mm and 135mm that are the same thing as the SMC Pentax version but without the Super-Multi-Coatings.

Once you get into M42 (aka screw mount, or Pentax screw mount) your options open up considerably. IMO the SMC Takumar or Super-Multi-Coated Takumar series gets you a lens that is 99.9% as good as a modern counterpart. There are also great M42 lenses out there by many other producers; Olympus once made great M42 lenses, Zeiss, Pentacon, Mamiya/Sekor, Soligor and many others as well. Mounting them is easy, you can find M42-to-Pentax K adapters at most used outlets, just make sure they don't have a wide flange on them or else you won't be able to focus to infinity. A quick search should turn up some results for you. (Yes, the 'real' Pentax version works great, it is built to the highest standard of all my adapters.)

As for capturing a new baby...I think a fast 50 is perfect. It gets you close but not too close. You'll have to get used to the focusing with these fast lenses, as the supplied focus screen isn't as good as on a real manual focus camera. Some people can't do it and dump their manual lenses. I'm still waiting for a true manual focus screen from Pentax...
07-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm rooting for the FA 50mm f/1.4 (or A f/1.7) Because they are the only 50s I have....
07-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Sean, as one of the "gang of 14", I appreciate all the work that has gone into this series. And, like James, I truely enjoy reading the "shootouts" because of all the beautiful photography involved. So much more fun than looking at brick walls or mesh screens.

NaCl(I think the "gang of 14" might actually be a "gang of 140" )H2O
07-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
I'm rooting for the FA 50mm f/1.4 (or A f/1.7) Because they are the only 50s I have....
Ahhh...but what if the reviewer doesn't use autofocus? Hmmm....

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(I think the "gang of 14" might actually be a "gang of 140" )H2O
LOL, it was of course just a little bit of self-deprecating humor. I've gotten comments from my tinkering idol, Pete Ganzel, so in addition to my friends from here I'm more than pleased with the response so far.

I have a feeling that the A50/1.2 vs. the F50/1.7 will garner quite a bit of interest. It should be ready this weekend...stay tuned!