Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can someone check their 35ltd for me?

I just got my new 35ltd and of course UPS smashed the box on one corner. Also the thing was not packed very well at all. Anyway, it obviously had a bash or twenty just looking at the box.

My issue is, the focus ring does not feel as smooth as my original 35ltd. Plus I can actually hear the gears mesh as I turn the focus ring. It is not loud, I need to put my ear near the camera. It's a ratcheting noise that I simply never noticed in the original 35ltd.

Something nice is this copy does not need and AF Adjustment like the original did, which was a +4...

Anyway, can someone take a listen to their 35ltd and check if you can hear the gears (ya know sorta of a soft ratcheting sound)...

I need this lens and popped for it because it's a mission critical kinda thing and I can't not have it because I put off replacing it too long...so, of course I have something which seems wonky...sigh...

03-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ya know what? I just checked both my 43ltd and 77ltd and both make the same sound so I feel better. Sorry I did not think to check using those lenses. Maybe the focus ring thing just needs a bit of break in time. Well, it's gonna get a lot of use tonight...sorry for hitting the "easy button" a bit soon and opening the thread. At least I kinda figured it out...I think?
03-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #3

At least mine has a soft mechanical gear sound. I don't think you need to worry.
03-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the back-up info It helps to know what's supposed to do what.

03-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine sounds a little bit like that and works perfectly well. I seem to find that new lenses are a little tight when brand new. Go and enjoy it
03-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Mine sounds a little bit like that and works perfectly well. I seem to find that new lenses are a little tight when brand new. Go and enjoy it
thanks a BUNCH for the added feedback and takign the time to check...most cool of ya!! I now know the noise is normal and not worried about it (as I noted, my other two limiteds make the same noise)...kinda-maybe-with-reservations-in-this-case...

Unfortunately my copy has degraded as the day wore on on Thursday afternoon/evening...I mentioned the focus ring felt rough (both in MF and using quick-shift) and now it takes a AF adjustment of +10 (I set both the camera and lens to +10 and it barely bring the image into focus).

I did a fast & dirty focus test, I KNOW it's not perfect but neither is the lense and these shots show enough for me, especially when ya look and the box and move the focus ring. Also on the macro end of the scale the indicator goes way past the final mark on the scale..I mean WAY past.

If ya want to see, you can check out the unadulterated images here:

New 35mm Limited Focus Issues - BreckLundin's Place
(you will want to open the originals as I did not even crop the shots...but at camera=0 and lens=0 there is essentially nothing in focus and it's not much better when I set the camera to it's normal +6)

For those who wanna show how smart they are...I don't care if you don't feel these charts are the best method, they are good enough for the issue at hand. hehehehe...I am stressed enough as I needed this lense today and through the weekend for shooting jewelry from an estate and paid for overnight to make sure it arrived on Thursday.

This lense is not even close to the lense my first copy was...thanks to UPS I suspect as well as, not great packing by B&H, seriously it was as bad as Prodigital2000 was last June and Amazon once was, maybe still is....just some airbags and a lens box under them on the bottom of the box...

I feel I am boned...would not be my life if there was not something just off enough to be a problem.
03-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
thanks a BUNCH for the added feedback and takign the time to check...most cool of ya!! I now know the noise is normal and not worried about it (as I noted, my other two limiteds make the same noise)...kinda-maybe-with-reservations-in-this-case...
You're welcome. Gave me an excuse to take my camera out of it's bag at work and play with it for a few minutes

About your other issues, well first of all I would say that a bit of stress and new equipment could mean that you are more prone to 'finding' issues, so try and relax
Saying that, it does sound like there is some sort of a problem. If you have to use it over the weekend, perhaps try focusing it manually? Then send it for return on Monday or something...