Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
35/50mm fixed AF lens-what price 2nd hand

Hi,
I'm looking at getting a fixed lens with high aperture for taking pics of baby, toddler indoors (amongst other uses for it).
Obvious choices are 35 or 50mm ( nifty fifty)AF fixed lens- are there other choices?

I know that Pentax have stopped making them but other brands make some that'll fit with/without an adapter. I've searched Ebay, Amazon, Lenses section here but they seem expensive ($200 plus)

Can anyone tell me (and ideally a link to a real example) what's the cheapest/entry price that I have to pay for a 2nd hand one (any make, AF)? Please tell me I'm not looking at $200 or so?

This is the only thing holding me back before I buy a K-X...

Thanks,
Pa

03-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by dinneenp Quote

I know that Pentax have stopped making them but other brands make some that'll fit with/without an adapter. I've searched Ebay, Amazon, Lenses section here but they seem expensive ($200 plus)
The prices on decades old autofocus primes does seem pretty high, the only bargains are in the manual focus realm. Just last night a sniper on a popular online auction site took a FA-28/2.8 and a F-50/1.7 out of my hands with but a few seconds left on the auctions.

Pentax still makes an autofocus 50, the SMCP-FA 50/1.4 ... I'm thinking they still make a 35 as well, the DA 35 Ltd or the FA 31, not that I have the $$$ for that sort of thing right now!
03-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Those 2 focal lengths are definitely nifty, but not exactly thrifty. I got lucky and got my 50 1.4 a few months before prices went up. As for my 35 2, I'm still trying to grow back the part of my leg I gave up in order to buy the lens.
03-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Fast AF primes are wonderful. They're great in fast-moving and/or low-light situations, and to surgically isolate a subject from their background via thin DOF (depth of field). As mentioned, they aren't cheap any more.

There's an alternative, still good for low-light and thin DOF, but which requires some skill for dealing with rapid-paced events: fast manual lenses. 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 55/1.7, 58/2 -- these can be bought without robbing any minimarts. Some are incredibly cheap. You get the same light-gathering as with a fast AF; you just need to learn to focus.

Help exists. The K-x has a feature called Catch-In-Focus. When that is enabled, and you use the right (or rightly prepared) lens, you essentially have manual AF. You point at the subject and hold the shutter down; when the subject comes into focus, the shutter automagically snaps.

I resist buying costly lenses. I use CIF.

03-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As has been explained several times before, if you want a fast AF prime, yes, it will cost at least $200. I'd personally recommend the DA40/2.8 (at $340 new, presumably less used) which is very fast focusing, a very useful focal length in my opinion, and just an all around great lens. If you feel you would prefer something longer and faster, and don't mind the extremely shallow DOF that results, the FA50/1.4 at the same price is the next obvious choice, or a used F50/1.7 if you can find one. But as i've said many times before, manual focus really is possible. People used to do it all the time. don't knock it till you've tried it.

BTW, if this is the only lens you will buy into your entire life, then any of these AF lenses might seem like a lot more than the $100 lens you can get for other brands. On the other hand, if it's the only lens you'll ever buy your entire life, that works out to an extra couple of bucks a year on average. And if you think you might possible buy other lenses at some point in the future, I practically guarantee it will all average out.
03-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dinneenp Quote
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a fixed lens with high aperture for taking pics of baby, toddler indoors (amongst other uses for it).
Obvious choices are 35 or 50mm ( nifty fifty)AF fixed lens- are there other choices?

Thanks,
Pa
i've posted this link a couple times, forum gods please forgive me.

pentax fa 50/1.4 for $254. backordered but who cares. buy it. wait a couple weeks. then enjoy and brag about the low price you paid.

Pentax smc P-FA 50mm F1.4 Lens at Hunts Photo & Video - 100 Main Street - Melrose, MA 02176

good luck.
03-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

sorry, but there is nothing of those prime AF lenses that you could buy below $200. the only AF lenses that you could buy for less are AF zoom kit lenses and other zoom lenses with variable aperture speed.

03-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
i've posted this link a couple times, forum gods please forgive me.

pentax fa 50/1.4 for $254. backordered but who cares. buy it. wait a couple weeks. then enjoy and brag about the low price you paid.

Pentax smc P-FA 50mm F1.4 Lens at Hunts Photo & Video - 100 Main Street - Melrose, MA 02176

good luck.
I pulled the trigger on this deal, even though it seems like a bit of a gamble.