Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
A tale of melting plastic

For about 4 weeks i have been considering upgrading my DA L 50-200 kit lens. It's not a bad lens but is nothing special at 200mm. I was going to get a DA 55-300 but they are over $600 aus here. After some consideration i thought that i would probably want to upgrade again so why not get what i want now. I did my normal research and decided it would be between the Sigma 70-200 2.8 hsm and the Tamron SP AF 70-200 2.8. Thanks to Ash's reviews of both lenses on this site and watching the videos on YouTube of the lens focus speeds of both lenses I decided i would get the Tamron. It was interesting to note that on the videos the Tamron seemd noisy and slow on a canon, reasonable on a nikon but quite good on Pentax.
Anyway during my work today i was driving past the best Digital camera store in Sydney(Digital Camera Warehouse) and i thought what harm could there be by stopping and having a look at the lens(stupid idea). It just so happened that they had 1 Pentax version of the lens. After handling the lens i just had to have it then and now, so the credit card melted somewhat and i got my new lens. The only bad thing i will say about the store is that they do not let you try the lens on your own camera.
Initially i was going to order it from The US of A but after shipping charges and paypals poor exchange rate it would have cost just over $900. After reading about the possibility of the sticking shutter lever i thought it would be best to buy it here so i can easily get it fixed under warranty and not have to pay to ship it back to the States. The cost here was $1025.

Here is a picture of my new lens mounted on my Kx
and a quick photo from my local park with the new lens

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DiMAGE A200  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
03-19-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I say wise purchase (Ash's review of the lens is excellent). And plastic is meant to melt........
03-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Thank God this story has a happy ending:

By the title of this thread, I though a body or lens melted--not your credit card.
03-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does Tamron Australia offer a 6-year warranty like they do in the states? It really gives peace of mind when you buy one of their lenses.

03-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Good luck with the new lens. Probably a wise move. For very little more you now have the peace of mind of a warranty that you don't have to jump through hoops to have it honored, and more important, you have supported your local economy. I would have done the same.
03-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, I'm quite surprised that the price difference was that little. I seem to find that with Pentax lenses there's a huge price diff between here and the states. Looks like a nice lens!
03-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Does Tamron Australia offer a 6-year warranty like they do in the states? It really gives peace of mind when you buy one of their lenses.

Unfortunately we only get a 2 year warranty in Australia

03-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Wow, I'm quite surprised that the price difference was that little. I seem to find that with Pentax lenses there's a huge price diff between here and the states. Looks like a nice lens!
I agree with you about the price of Pentax lenses they seem much more expensive here than in the States. But with Sigma and Tamron lenses I find Digital Camera Warehouse very competitive. At the moment they have the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 for only $339, that is less than some people are asking for 2nd hand ones on the net.
When considering buying from the states you have to include the sometimes heavy shipping charges and if you are paying by paypal(which for a lot of stores is the only overseas type of payment they will accept) and add about 10-15% for the current exchange rate that paypal use.
03-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You won't regret it. I bought one from a forum member and I try to find a reason to use it. Fast focus, nice and sharp and the f/2.8 is great indoors .
03-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm surprised the folk in DCW didn't let you try the lens. In the Melbourne store they are pretty good with letting you check the lenses out.
03-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great story. The thread title had me worried. I just got my KX today and when I mounted the Sigma 70-200 EX on it, it was almost a laugh. The lens dwarfs the body.
03-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great story. The thread title had me worried. I just got my KX today and when I mounted the Sigma 70-200 EX on it, it was almost a laugh. The lens dwarfs the body.
Me too... after I read the first line about the DA L lenes I figured it had something to do with the plastic mount melting

As a side note, I had the same feeling when I mounted my Sigma 100-300/4 EX on my Kx last month.
03-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Initially I also planned to get myself the Tamron but due to Ebay rarity (used ones) and my success at the auction today I bought a Sigma 70-200 (II) for 450€/$610.

Now I just hope it's not that weak like I've seen here. But if it is I could still trade it in for the Tamron I think.

Anyway congratulations to your purchase. But I also have to say that the K-x is way to small for that lens. Kinda defeats the purpose of a small camera.
03-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
. But I also have to say that the K-x is way to small for that lens. Kinda defeats the purpose of a small camera.
I wouldn't say it is "way to small", it certainly looks different than from when mounted on normal size DSLR cameras . But they don't make lenses like these
in different sizes for smaller DSLR's. Anyway i have never been one to worry too much about how it looks, it is more to do with how well it works. And the Kx and Tamron 70-200 2.8 work really well together.
Kinda brings to mind a couple of sayings,
Never mind the width feel the quality...and
It is not so much about the size but how you use it

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Hope to post some more photos from this lens soon.