Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-Mount to Screw Mount Adapter Ring is Stuck

Ok so it "was" stuck. It took me an hour last night to get it out of my K20 camera Body. I ultimately put it in my K10 and figured I'll use that one for screw mount lenses only.

My question is, does anyone have experience with a particular adapter ring that will stay on the lens and not get stuck in the camera body? And if so, can you tell me what it is and where you got it? I would like to buy one.

Thanks
Steve

03-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

If you want to leave the adapter on the lens, take off the screw and flat spring on the side of the adapter.
03-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ohh, so it's supposed to stay in the camera? That spring thing is supposed to keep it from coming out? I didn't know. Thanks for the advice. I will remove that, and get a ring for each lens to make it quicker to change between K-Mount and Screw Mount.
Thanks for the info.
03-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RTFM

The original Pentax one comes with a clear description how to insert it in the camera and how to get it out. Takes you about 5 seconds to get it out with the correct tool ( a ball pen)

03-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Normally the adapter stays in the camera, and you just unscrew the lens. If you take the springs off. Take care that the adapter doesn't back out if the lens has stiff focusing.
03-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by steve101a Quote
My question is, does anyone have experience with a particular adapter ring that will stay on the lens and not get stuck in the camera body? And if so, can you tell me what it is and where you got it? I would like to buy one.
It depends on what adapter did you get. The original Pentax one is easy to get on and off, but the third party ones are kind of finicky. You can find more info here:
Hin's Tech Corner: Genuine Pentax M42 to K Adapter
03-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A few notes regarding genuine vs. generic and removing of springs...
  • The only reason to remove the spring is to prevent a generic 3rd-party adapter from becoming stuck on your camera
  • The chances of a generic adapter becoming stuck is fairly high
  • The genuine Pentax adapter does not get stuck and should not require removal of the spring
  • The generic adapter is not worth the savings unless you want to convert your M42 lenses permanently to K-mount
  • The safest way to use a "springless" adapter is to attach it permanently to the lens using Loktite and notch/drill the lens base to engage the retention pin from the camera body

Steve

P.S. As has been said many times before on this site...get the genuine adapter...

03-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
RTFM

The original Pentax one comes with a clear description how to insert it in the camera and how to get it out. Takes you about 5 seconds to get it out with the correct tool ( a ball pen)
Or a fingernail. That's what I use. I guess if you chew your fingernails waiting for the SDM to die in your 50-135, you might need a tool.
03-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Or a fingernail. That's what I use. I guess if you chew your fingernails waiting for the SDM to die in your 50-135, you might need a tool.
You obviously did not read the manual A ball pen is the 'official' tool.
03-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You obviously did not read the manual A ball pen is the 'official' tool.
Yeah, but I always have a fingernail with me.
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the same here, however they rarely leave my cameras
03-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Won't using the incorrect tool void the warranty?
03-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Won't using the incorrect tool void the warranty?
OMG! I never thought of that! I'd better put a ball point pen in my camera bag!!!!
03-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

We go over this every now and then.

The Official Pentax adapter is safe, and is best IMHO when left on the camera and you're using only screwmount lenses all day.

Third-party (Bowers-type) that look sorta like the Official Pentax MUST have the screw and spring removed, or they WILL get painfully stuck. They're best when semi-permanently loaded onto lenses (use a rear lens cap as a wrench) and you're interchanging PK-mount and adaptered lenses regularly. I have and use 10 such.

With either adapter, if you want to use trap-focus / Catch-In-Focus, you need to put a bit of sticky aluminium tape on the lens base, to short out the bottom contact on the camera body. (Or you can use tinfoil, and hope it doesn't blow away.) Some lenses have bases too narrow to press the tape against the contact. So...

There's a flanged adapter, utterly safe and easy, which loses infinity focus. It's good for lenses used in closeups where you don't WANT infinity focus, and it allows Catch-In-Focus with any screwmount lens. NOTE: Shorting contacts does no damage.
03-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

I bite mine, so I use a paper clip.