Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC-K 300/4 vs Super Takumar 300/4 -- Tripod Mounts, image quality?

G'day group.

I recently purchased an SMC-K 300/4 lens (Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 300mm F4), very nice looking lens and handles very well. Biggest drawback is the lack of a tripod collar which makes me nervous as I am about to start using this lens for some more serious sport shooting on a Pentax LX.

I've found a deal on a Super Takumar 300/4 (Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 300mm F4), which comes with the tripod collar.

A couple of questions:
  • Any opinion on image quality differences between the two lenses? I'll likely be shooting wide-open on film, either 400 ISO or 800 ISO.
  • Can I use the tripod collar from the Super Takumar on the SMC-K at all?

Thanks for any input!
-10d

03-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 300 f/4 Super Tak. It's a fine lens although there is CA in bright contrasty scenes on my K20D. The tripod mount will have to be loosened or removed to attach the lens to a digital Pentax because of the overhanging front of the body. The mount is also too close to the body to get a good balance in any case.

03-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tendim Quote
G'day group.

I recently purchased an SMC-K 300/4 lens (Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 300mm F4), very nice looking lens and handles very well. Biggest drawback is the lack of a tripod collar which makes me nervous as I am about to start using this lens for some more serious sport shooting on a Pentax LX.

I've found a deal on a Super Takumar 300/4 (Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 300mm F4), which comes with the tripod collar.

A couple of questions:
  • Any opinion on image quality differences between the two lenses? I'll likely be shooting wide-open on film, either 400 ISO or 800 ISO.
  • Can I use the tripod collar from the Super Takumar on the SMC-K at all?

Thanks for any input!
-10d
Pentax marketed the K300/4 as a hand held lens, hence the lack of a tripod collar. I also use the K300/4 this way and as long as you shoot with a shutter speed of 1/250 or higher you should be fine. (1/125 is doable with practice)

If you are using 400 or 800 ISO film you will be ok.

Phil.