Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Having trouble downsizing from the Tamron 28-75mm

Hi all,

I have recently lightened my kit in selling the K20D, Tamron 70-300 Di LD and some other longer old zooms that were rarely, if ever used. I also sold my pentax M 50 1.7.

I then got the K-x, 18-55 kit lens, and 55-300mm (a little long, but quite slim and light). The reason for doing this is to lighten the camera because I'm handling 3 children, and it's sometimes a handful with big and heavy cameras and lenses.

The last big, heavy lens I have is the Tamron 28-75mm. It takes excellent quality images, actually the best lens I've used to date. I'm thinking of replacing it with the DA 70 and DA 35 macro... but I've notices more purple fringing on the DA 70 than I'd expect from a quality prime. I notice very little, if any, pf in my Tamron. However, this is from limited samples on the web.

So the question is, do any of you have both? Could a comparison be done between lenses and posted here? I know it's asking a lot, but the local shop does not carry any DA primes, so I stuck on what to do. I'd hate to sell the Tamron and end up with something that is not as good, even if it is lighter.

Thanks.

03-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Forum Member

The DA70 and DA35 are excellent primes and they would be really really tough to beat at that focal length by any zoom.

But the tamron 28-75 is no slouch! The broad consensus is that it is an excellent lens especially for its price. Personally, I wouldn't let it go for that reason alone.

I use primes all the time but more so when I'm out shooting on my own or with other photographers. When I'm in a fast-paced social environment I rely on my Sigma 24-70 (similar to your tamron.) You might want to consider the speed and flexibility of your tamron over the zooming with your feet approach that you would have with primes.
03-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got the FA77 and it supposedly has more PF than the DA70, that hasn't stopped me of using it. I own the Tamron 28-75 also and even though is a really good lens, it's too heavy and has seen less and less use since i got my primes. I love the colors and the boke of the tammy (even if it's not even close to pentax lenses in respect of flare), but the weight is a down point after i got the primes. One point to add, because of it's close focusing capabilities and rendering i make it my flower lens until i can get some extension tubes for the fa77.

I know that the da70 is not the fa77, but afaik the da70 is really really good. i would recommend it not as a replace but as an addition to the range. If you find yourself not using the tammy too much, then sell it.
03-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter

If you're trying to keep a bunch of kids corraled changing lenses frequently may also be more of a nuisance than keeping the "bigger, heavier" zoom on the camera.

I guess it's a relative thing but I consider the Tamron 28-75 as one of my "lighter, smaller" lenses! I also vote for keeping the Tamron for a while, until if and when you find that it is no longer useful once you've gotten the primes.

03-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for virtual *slap* guys... you shocked me back to my senses. I will keep the Tamron until I get and use the primes for a while. The Tamron is admittedly a great, useful lens.
03-21-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by firefly Quote
Thanks for virtual *slap* guys... you shocked me back to my senses. I will keep the Tamron until I get and use the primes for a while. The Tamron is admittedly a great, useful lens.
Good choice in my opinion. I mean, I love my primes (including the DA 35 and DA70), but I could probably leave my Tamron 28-75 on my camera 75% of the time and be perfectly happy. And this is mostly shooting my 2 kids. The range of the 28-75 is pretty darn perfect for family shooting. It's a bit heavy, but really not that bad. But do try to get your hands on some of the primes you are eyeing--they are fantastic (not sure what PF you are really seeing out there on the DA 70, buy I would never consider that a pervasive issue with the DA 70).