Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #1

Wide open performance of A*300/2.8 comments

Havn't had the chance for taking some nice photos but.. pixel peeping got the better of me and...

..Took the A*300/2.8 down to the local camerashop to test my k10d to a new k7 and Meh, gonna keep my cheap grandprix image difference is negligible imo.

Anyhow, just thought to post up a few quick ones from k10d at full frame, 100%, 200% at f2.8! Critical focusing is impossible, contrast is so so imo, but what do you think? raw to jpeg, no pp

All settings being the same, the k7 at 100iso required 1/40approx while my k10d only 1/750?!
I mean.... say what??

edit: played with levels, no sharpening

....focus does seem a little off, wall was at a slight angle.... need to get a better focusing screen I think...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your one lucky pixel peeper

Now get your back out here and bring some photos! Looking forward for some portraiture taken wide-open.
03-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Now get your back out here and bring some photos! Looking forward for some portraiture taken wide-open.
Will do. promise!

btw, How do you mean by lucky?

edit: anyhow, I'm going to sound very naive right now, but what are peoples opinions on my copy, do I have a relatively good example?..or?

I'm asking as I think this is an older example of the lense (not that that matters!) and the price was attractive.

edi edit: added an eye ^^ 100% crop
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by cps_goodbuy; 03-19-2010 at 05:06 PM.
03-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A300 f2.8

When I was seeking infomation or images from this lens, there is not much info available except from the pentaxforums review database and some PPG.

Hopefully, we could post more pics from this lens so whoever is seeking info as reference, could be able to decide on the samples here provided.

Allow me to share some pics here

A300 f2.8. just acquired from ebay.

Those above were uncropped and no Pp done.

Below is a shot taken some 450 metres away and 100 % cropped and this pic is still sharp. The naked eye could not see this image but with the lens, it clearly visible and sharp.

I am begining to like the lens.

marcus

03-21-2010, 03:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Marcus for the images

What body were you using? Are they all at 2.8?

Any comments for the images I've posted for 2.8 performance of my copy?

Last edited by cps_goodbuy; 03-21-2010 at 04:10 AM.
03-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cps_goodbuy Quote
Thanks Marcus for the images

What body were you using? Are they all at 2.8?

Any comments for the images I've posted for 2.8 performance of my copy?
I am using K10 d. I do have a Kx too.

I could not remember the aperture used. Very likely for the monkey, I would have used f2.8 cos it was setting sun then, about 7.00 pm my local time.

At f2.8 the dof is thin. A steady Gimball head is preferred. I bought one and used that for the sign-board post which was a distance of 450 metres. Still, cropped 100 percent, the pics turned out sharp and nice, usable. Higher keeeper rate with the gimball. Now I have to look for another stable tripod and will likely look for benro, the cheaper alternative.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your lens. Its more of getting a stable tripod, a gimbal or some stable support for 300 mm lens is essential. At 3 kg, handholding is definitely out for me.

Other bird shots were taken at f4 or f5.6 and higher iso , monopod used . Holding my breadth when I depress the shutter, to prevent any vibration.

You have a ready model. Try some distance of 20 metre at f2.8 and you would luv the bokeh of this lens, I am sure. with the subject isolated. Bump up iso for higher shutter speed to be used.

Teleconverter at short distances degrade the image qualilty.

At f2.8, against harsh or bright background, purple fringing is obvious on the subject.

Marcus young
03-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the helpful info Marcus!

My test shots were 2sec on tripods, using remote wireless cable input. I am a little paranoid about the lense as it was an ebay purchase and the price was good (to myself I guess I'm trying to justify keeping it rather then reselling for a profit)

I feel the lense outresolves my body and probably the k7 I tried as well, though I have very little experience with judging a lenses resolution ability (rather than contrast or sharpness {which can be modified in pp}).

Any thoughts??

Edit: Just realised, Marcus! Did you get your copy mid feb this year from ebay?

Last edited by cps_goodbuy; 03-21-2010 at 10:05 AM.