Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little help for tomorrow

I borrowed a predator call and some decoys from a friend of mine. Tomorrow I'm going to set up a blind on a ranch I'm building on and see what I can call in. I Know there are bobcats, foxes and coyotes, as well as at least one mountain lion in the area. Now my real dilema comes what should I mount for a lens? I have a da* 50-135, Bigma, and 800f8 Tokina, to mount on my K10. I was hoping my buddy would come along and bring his wifes KX, but he can't. I'm leaning toward the Bigma, but to be honest I've never been happy with this lens. The 800 seems to perform better, but is a bit slower handeling due to its size, preset ap, and manual focus. I'm not sure if I can get the critters close enough to get eyelash shots with the 50 - 135. what do you guys think? BTW I also will take my .45 to make some noise if Mr. big kitty shows up and decides to get too close. (although the 800 may be more intimidating). I should be able to get some shots of birds at least as there are many Hawks, falcons, and Eagles that hang out there.

Thanks
Shu

03-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Hi Shu,

Here is a link you want to take a look at:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94159-nice-review-k-7-a.html
and there are several more threads on this forum to guide you.

I own a K7 and find it very good at colours; I wouldn't hesitate to compare it with any other brand for that matter.

JP
03-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would go with the Bigma. You may need to manual focus, depending on the situation, but I am sure that if you stop it down to f8, that it is as sharp as the Tokina. On the K10, you can crop a little if you aren't quite close enough.
03-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'd agree, Put the camera on at least ISO 400 and then stop down a bit. Normally we wouldn't suggest mid day shooting because of the harsher light but in this case, it might help with exposures and latitude with apertures. Cross your fingers for thin bright cloud. Keep the 800 nearby just in case you need the reach.

Remember an important point with the Bigma, do not extend it all the way to 500mm. It's a bit softer from 475-500mm. So pull it back a bit and you'll get much sharper images.

03-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the help with the Bigma. I'm sure it's a good lens. I think I'll try it. If I get some keepers, I'll be sure to post them here. The Old tokina is a sweet lens but care must be takens or some wicked fringing occurs.
03-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since this is about lenses, not cameras, I'm moving it to the correct forum.