Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Attaching filters

I recently purchased a Pentax K-x that came with the standard DA-L 18-55mm zoom lens. To further protect the lens while outdoors I just purchased a Massa 55mm "screw-on" clear lens protector that is threaded for attachment to the front of the lens. However, after the fact, I noticed that the DA-L lens is not threaded. Consequently, there is nothing that will hold the lens cover in place. In the future what type of lens covers/filters do I need to purchase for this lens and how would they be attached? Or is an adapter available? I'd like to experiment with some filters in the future but don't know what to buy to accommodate my current lens.

03-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is that this lens takes a 52mm filter
see this link
DA L 18-55/3.5-5.6 AL
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

The correct filter size for the 18-55 is 52mm. You screw in the filter to the lens' inner thread and attach the lens cover to the filter.
03-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes the proper lens filter thread is 52 mm. The one that you bought will not thread on unless you buy and step up adapter. These can be brought for a relatively low price. For future reference the filter thread size can be found on the lens front element with the symbol 0 with a slash through it. It is different for all lenses so be warned that you should purchase the largest one that your lenses and use a step up adapter to screw it on. Also note that you can only apply a certain amount of filters until you produce problems with the image.

03-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the help

Everyone is correct, the correct filter size is 52mm, not 55mm. I should have known that, especially since it is marked on the front of the lens after I looked again. I was in a hurry when I ordered it and wasn't thinking. I just recently found this forum and it's great. I'm sure I'll be checking in often. Thanks everyone.
03-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary G Quote
Everyone is correct, the correct filter size is 52mm, not 55mm. I should have known that, especially since it is marked on the front of the lens after I looked again. I was in a hurry when I ordered it and wasn't thinking. I just recently found this forum and it's great. I'm sure I'll be checking in often. Thanks everyone.
Also, if it's not marked on the lens, it should be marked on the inside of the lens cap.
03-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #7

Question, if I get those lens hood w/ bayonet mount (from ebay) will I be able to...screw a filter to my lens, then mount the hood to the filter and still be able to attach my lens cover? if so, how since the hood is already mounted on the filter.

03-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Camgen Quote
Question, if I get those lens hood w/ bayonet mount (from ebay) will I be able to...screw a filter to my lens, then mount the hood to the filter and still be able to attach my lens cover? if so, how since the hood is already mounted on the filter.
Yes. The bayonet hood sits back a little from the front of the lens. So for example I can take a 28-55 kit lens, screw however many 52mm filters as I dare onto it, snap on the bayonet lens hood, then add/remove the squeeze-on lens cover. No hay problemo. And my fingers aren't especially slender.
03-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes. The bayonet hood sits back a little from the front of the lens. So for example I can take a 28-55 kit lens, screw however many 52mm filters as I dare onto it, snap on the bayonet lens hood, then add/remove the squeeze-on lens cover. No hay problemo. And my fingers aren't especially slender.
Ok I can understand it now. RioRico, Ira, thanks for your prompt reply.
03-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Camgen Quote
Ok I can understand it now. RioRico, Ira, thanks for your prompt reply.
The caveat to that is that if you use larger filters and step up rings, then you run into the problem of having to attach the hood first, then screw on the filters. It can get tight, and you may need to leave the hood off in that case.