Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There were a few being sold in the "sales" sub forums when i last looked? You could get someone from America to order it for you then mail it, to you...paying ahead naturally?

03-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
No, it's actually normal price. Maple syrup gets sold all over Vermont in every kind of store, and $25+ per half gallon is pretty normal. This is one case where WalMart is neither higher nor lower than the rest. They don't typically markup local products very much. Same goes for Cabot Farms cheese.

Of course, this is for the high grade maple syrup, Vermont has their own grading system that's different from the rest of the US and Canada.

edit: wait a minute, that site you linked to lists maple syrup at $44.95 per half gallon! That's way worse!
That price includes shipping and handling in the US. It's a lot less expensive locally. $26 a half-gallon, but NY produces a lot less syrup than Vermont. Less than 1 half of 1 percent of the maple trees in NY are tapped.
03-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That price includes shipping and handling in the US. It's a lot less expensive locally. $26 a half-gallon, but NY produces a lot less syrup than Vermont. Less than 1 half of 1 percent of the maple trees in NY are tapped.
but... now you're saying practically the same price I did, $25+ per half gallon.

gah! Let's get back to M42 adapters, it's less confusing.
03-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

M42 lenses on Pentax K

£13-95 Delivered to your door.

I use these and they are just as good as the genuine Pentax one I have.

03-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

gah! Let's get back to M42 adapters, it's less confusing.
Indeed! But first, I'll mention that a few years ago I drove from Arizona to Alaska and back. Stopped at a minimart/grocery on a First Nations reserve in northern BC on the Stewart-whatever hwy (#37). Half-gallons of fresh milk (CN$12) cost more than half-gallons (pardon me, two liters) of maple syrup (CN$10). Guess what we bought to pour into coffee?

Anyway, adapters. Two years ago, I still paid around US$40 for an Official Pentax. That's why I bought a pile of cheapies at around US$10 each. And I got a safe, easy, flanged (non-infinity-focus) adapter for about US$10.

I've been using that flanged adapter more and more, and I think I'll get some more. Sure, you lose infinity focus. When shooting wide-open at closer subjects, is that really a loss? With longer slower lenses, it narrows DOF even more, so trap-focus is the way to go.

I've just been shooting my razor-sharp little Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 and even wide open, it still focuses to at least 75m. (I know it does, because I get green-hex confirmation, and trap-focus works.) And its near-focus drops from 2.5 to 2m. With much shorter, faster lenses, the far-focus is indeed pulled in quite a ways, maybe to 2-4m for 35-60mm primes -- which is pretty ideal for portraiture, eh?
03-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Indeed! But first, I'll mention that a few years ago I drove from Arizona to Alaska and back. Stopped at a minimart/grocery on a First Nations reserve in northern BC on the Stewart-whatever hwy (#37). Half-gallons of fresh milk (CN$12) cost more than half-gallons (pardon me, two liters) of maple syrup (CN$10). Guess what we bought to pour into coffee?
eww... west-coast maple syrup! Bleh! Still better than milk though

I'm totally spoiled by Vermont/Quebec maple syrup.

I wish M42 adapters tasted like maple syrup (there, now I can pretend I'm on topic)
03-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm totally spoiled by Vermont/Quebec maple syrup.

I wish M42 adapters tasted like maple syrup (there, now I can pretend I'm on topic)
Thread-jacking is bad mkay. Probably shouldn't do that mkay.

03-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It was Quebec syrup.

But this has wandered too far, too long.

Hey, how 'bout them Adapters! Ya think they're gonna win next week? Them old T-mount Transformers has been coming on pretty strong. Maybe if the Adapters do some substitutions, they'll have a chance, eh?

[other sports metaphors deleted]
03-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I worked 3 years for a US-based online retailer. I know all about these headaches. When a Canadian ordered a $20 item and got stuck with a $40 bill from UPS to accept it, he'd inevitably refuse it and the fun would begin.
The key is to not ship cross-border via UPS. There is no need to use their customs brokerage service for goods on which there is no duty (most camera stuff). USPS works just fine for shipping north of the border from the U.S.

In regards to NAFTA. The treaty only pertains to goods manufactured in or substantially transformed in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Goods made elsewhere are subject to standard import duties when moved between the three countries.

Steve
03-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Transformers and NAFTA

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

In regards to NAFTA. The treaty only pertains to goods manufactured in or substantially transformed in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Goods made elsewhere are subject to standard import duties when moved between the three countries.

Steve
Are we back to the odds on the T-Mount Transformers? Or are they the Substantial T-Mount Transformers? League tables have always confused me.