Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 02:10 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
affordable genuine Pentax M42 adaptors ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

in UK the genuine adaptor is now £70 (over$100!) and ebay prices have gone bonkers - I didnt know this until I tried to get one recently and 'accidentally' got one BIN for £25, and felt it was a bit pricey

this one is at £49 with a while to go to auction end
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200448543958&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Been trying to get a US dealer to post me a couple as they are listed at $25 to $30 but no joy so far

one dealer told me it is about to be withdrawn from market for improvements . . . so whats going on, any ideas ? Is Pentax improving it ? And why wont anyone post me a couple for $50 plus postage ?

03-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Henrys in Canada might sell to you, good luck.
03-20-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah henrys in canada has it but I think in the end you will be paying the same price. It retails for 70$ if you add tax and shipping it will be around 100$. I would call around at camera stores and try the used market. I just picked mine up for 25$ cdn at my local camera shop which had one left in stock at the old price before the price jump. Really good pick up since it's 30$ usd right now across the border
03-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Improvements? It's been the same design for 35 years. What could they improve? The knockoff converters could use some improvements.

03-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #5

How about Pentax Canada?

I was hunting for a genuine M42-PK adapter as well.
US Pentax webstore lists it a $30.95/adapter but would not ship to Canada.
I thought we have free trade!
Pentax Canada in Mississauga quoted $52/adapter + $10 shipping!!!!!
This is still better than Henry in Canada.
As someone said, Henry has it CAD$70 this year (early 2009 Henry listed it for
CAD$25).
Maybe you can try Pentax Canada.

Good luck.
03-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gardin Quote
US Pentax webstore lists it a $30.95/adapter but would not ship to Canada.
I thought we have free trade!
What difference does that make? Do you realize how often Canadians order from the US, get nailed with taxes (PST, GST, brokerage fees from the shipping carrier) and then refuse delivery? The shipper (edit: SELLER, not shipper) ends up stuck with the shipping fees both ways, it's a pain. Free Trade does not mean "tax free purchases", and it does not prevent shipping carriers from ripping you off. All it means is there's no "duty" added to the rest of the costs.

Besides, I'm pretty sure there's a "no stepping on my toes" thing between Pentax USA and Pentax Canada.

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-20-2010 at 12:46 PM.
03-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
And why wont anyone post me a couple for $50 plus postage ?
Because they are $31 each.

Check your inbox..

03-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
What difference does that make? Do you realize how often Canadians order from the US, get nailed with taxes (PST, GST, brokerage fees from the shipping carrier) and then refuse delivery? The shipper ends up stuck with the shipping fees both ways, it's a pain. Free Trade does not mean "tax free purchases", and it does not prevent shipping carriers from ripping you off. All it means is there's no "duty" added to the rest of the costs.

Besides, I'm pretty sure there's a "no stepping on my toes" thing between Pentax USA and Pentax Canada.
If the order and shipping is paid for, how does the shipper get stuck?
03-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

On a related note to the Canadians here:

Thanks to NAFTA (and I'm no great fan of it), I've been able to enjoy your incredible maple syrup for years at a reasonable cost.

It may not be good for Vermont, but seriously--after day one of NAFTA, the price of the stuff was cut in half.

Take THAT, Aunt Jemima! Trying to pass yourself as real maple syrup!
03-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If the order and shipping is paid for, how does the shipper get stuck?
a) the shipper (edit: SELLER, not shipper) is stuck with return shipping charges. Brokerage fees are still applied, since there was brokering done, regardless of whether the recipient accepted or refused the package.

b) you buy something, you refuse it, it gets sent back... YOU DON'T EXPECT A REFUND?!? Sure, the seller can try and retain whatever the shipping and brokerage fees were, but all it takes is one call to the credit card company and a chargeback is inevitable.

I worked 3 years for a US-based online retailer. I know all about these headaches. When a Canadian ordered a $20 item and got stuck with a $40 bill from UPS to accept it, he'd inevitably refuse it and the fun would begin.

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-20-2010 at 11:20 AM.
03-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

a) the shipper is stuck with return shipping charges. Brokerage fees are still applied, since there was brokering done, regardless of whether the recipient accepted or refused the package.

b) you buy something, you refuse it, it gets sent back... YOU DON'T EXPECT A REFUND?!? Sure, the seller can try and retain whatever the shipping and brokerage fees were, but all it takes is one call to the credit card company and a chargeback is inevitable.

I worked 3 years for a US-based online retailer. I know all about these headaches. When a Canadian ordered a $20 item and got stuck with a $40 bill from UPS to accept it, he'd inevitably refuse it and the fun would begin.
I'll post again when I'm on my computer and not iTouch, but I want to understand this!
03-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

ack! I'm mixing up my words! The SELLER is stuck with the shipping charges
03-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
On a related note to the Canadians here:

Thanks to NAFTA (and I'm no great fan of it), I've been able to enjoy your incredible maple syrup for years at a reasonable cost.

It may not be good for Vermont, but seriously--after day one of NAFTA, the price of the stuff was cut in half.

Take THAT, Aunt Jemima! Trying to pass yourself as real maple syrup!
Strange, I never heard of that. The people here in Vermont continue to charge an arm and a leg for their maple syrup, and the price continues to go up every year because of bad seasons. NAFTA had no effect on the maple syrup market here at all.

What's "reasonable cost", anyways? I tend to think $27.55 USD for a 1/2 gallon is a tad on the expensive side. That's the current price at WalMart in Williston, VT as of today. (Vermont maple syrup distributed locally). I assume it only gets more expensive as you travel outwards.
03-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange, I never heard of that. The people here in Vermont continue to charge an arm and a leg for their maple syrup, and the price continues to go up every year because of bad seasons. NAFTA had no effect on the maple syrup market here at all.

What's "reasonable cost", anyways? I tend to think $27.55 USD for a 1/2 gallon is a tad on the expensive side. That's the current price at WalMart in Williston, VT as of today. (Vermont maple syrup distributed locally). I assume it only gets more expensive as you travel outwards.
Most of that is probably WalMart's markup. New York maple syrup is selling for about $42.40 per gallon, and NY produces a lot less maple syrup than Vermont.

New York State Maple Producers Association, Inc.
03-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Most of that is probably WalMart's markup. New York maple syrup is selling for about $42.40 per gallon, and NY produces a lot less maple syrup than Vermont.

New York State Maple Producers Association, Inc.
No, it's actually normal price. Maple syrup gets sold all over Vermont in every kind of store, and $25+ per half gallon is pretty normal. This is one case where WalMart is neither higher nor lower than the rest. They don't typically markup local products very much. Same goes for Cabot Farms cheese.

Of course, this is for the high grade maple syrup, Vermont has their own grading system that's different from the rest of the US and Canada.

edit: wait a minute, that site you linked to lists maple syrup at $44.95 per half gallon! That's way worse!