Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Strange,

I'd have to say I think they might actually be there, either atmospheric reflections or something else (cue X-files music).

Flare is normally on the diagonal opposite the light source. And it normally has the same number of spots as lens groups. I count 6 (perhaps 7) spots of light. The construction of the 50-135mm is 14/18, so unless it is only 1 per two groups (it's early and am not too sure I remember exactly) I don't think there are enough spots of light.

I think your best course of action is to contact the National Enquirer and see if you can sell the photo for enough money to buy a new copy of the lens to be sure.

03-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
You know whats hard? trying to get star trails in the city...its a pain!
I could barely see any stars in Montreal. When I moved out to the country, I looked up in the sky and saw there were a bunch of weird holes in the sky. It scared the crap out of me.
03-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

If you tried the same shot again but with the camera turned sideways, and then if you got the same effect, would that tell you if it was the lens / camera or atmospherics?

Just thinking out loud, ignore me if I'm talking rubbish.
03-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

CWT,
I think its lens flare, there are like 6 dots there, and if one looks at the string of lights below, there are 6 very bright lights that are more intense than anything in the string. the interesting thing is that the 4 strong lights on the right flared to the left and the 2 strong lights to the left of the frame flared to the right - pretty cute.

Here's an example of similar flare from my new Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens. Taken at
200 ISO
10 sec
f8
38mm FL
(part of HDR set without any processing)

Hope that makes you feel better; there are at least 3 sets of flare lights in the image, not counting the burned out areas :-)

I have the 50-135 also and have gotten flare out of it 2 or 3 times, a lot more resistant than this Tamron. I think night photos test a lens for flare a lot more than normal day shooting. I suspect there is nothing wrong with your 50-135.

best wishes,

03-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It makes me feel better....but not my 50-135 died lastnight.

3 Weeks old..........grrrr. No AF, no MF, no nothing!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
03-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I sure hope that you don't need it right away. good luck getting a new copy quickly.
03-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Did you buy it new under warranty? Try cleaning the contacts and holding the AF button down for about 30 seconds and see if it wakes up. I hope my 50-135 doesn't fail on me tomorrow... Going to shoot my friend in his Dress Blues.
03-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Did you buy it new under warranty? Try cleaning the contacts and holding the AF button down for about 30 seconds and see if it wakes up. I hope my 50-135 doesn't fail on me tomorrow... Going to shoot my friend in his Dress Blues.
It doesn't matter, he mentioned in another thread that even the screw-drive is unnaturally stiff (he tried turning it by hand when I suggested it). My guess is it's a stuck focusing mechanism, not a burned out SDM motor. But it all comes back to the same root cause, though.

03-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
It doesn't matter, he mentioned in another thread that even the screw-drive is unnaturally stiff (he tried turning it by hand when I suggested it). My guess is it's a stuck focusing mechanism, not a burned out SDM motor. But it all comes back to the same root cause, though.
Damn that scares me, my 50-135's focusing ring is lots stiffer than my 16-50 which is really loose and easy to turn.
03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #25
wjt
Veteran Member

You know whats hard? trying to get star trails in the city...its a pain!
This reminds me of my old boss in melbs, he built an observatory in his back yard, actually very impressive, computerised tracking for his homemade telescope the whole lot, he even made his own lenses, he used to complain constantly about the crappy light in the city.. anyway i digress.

Your tale of the 50-135 scares me, i am thinking about selling my underused kitesurfer to buy one, but the more i read about the sdm failures etc the less i feel inclined to spend a grand on a new lens. I know 99.9% of them are probably fine, and no one posts 'ooh my lens works perfectly', but its still a niggle. Warranty is fine, but its still an inconvenience.
03-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mibane ..

Oohh! .......mine (50-135) works perfectly!if you dont mind me saying. I have been using mine for about 12 months, without a problem.
But now I have spoken up, I may have jinxed it
But I do make sure I put it on the camera, very regularly, even to just fire off at anything of little note, just to keep the motor working etc.,

So don't be too afraid to venture out, after all it does produce extremely good shots.
03-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Well I can confirm the SDM was working as it was trying its hardest to spin, could hear it make noise and it could just SLIGHTLY move the focus, but yer it's definitely jammed.

Oh well I contacted the director of the Australian distributor and send it off this morning.
03-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Well I can confirm the SDM was working as it was trying its hardest to spin, could hear it make noise and it could just SLIGHTLY move the focus, but yer it's definitely jammed.

Oh well I contacted the director of the Australian distributor and send it off this morning.
See this is what happens when you use a low-torque micro-motor to move the focusing mechanism; you have to reduce the resistance of the whole thing, and you end up with super-fine and delicate threads that can jam at any moment simply due to heat, cold, or vibrations. The DA* 50-135mm is a brilliant optical design, but it's a terrible mechanical design. I wonder how many SDM "failures" are really due to the focus mechanism getting stuck.
03-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yer I'm getting that impression, I've taken quite good care of the lens.

Oh well, shit happens. Your right it's optically brilliant design, other than what's just happened I had no issues with the focus, I found it quite, smooth and fast. Although in the last couple of days before it failed the manual ring seemed to be a tad less smooth and the AF seemed slightly noisier.

I'm curious why does it has a screw-drive mount on it if it doesn't use it>?
03-22-2010, 04:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm curious why does it has a screw-drive mount on it if it doesn't use it>?
For cameras that don't have the Pz/SDM contacts like the *ist D/DS/DL cameras, among others. You can downgrade the firmware on a K10D and SDM won't work so it'll use the screw-drive instead. But on all current cameras, Pentax forbids using the screw-drive. It's a huge pain in the a$$. In your case, that's probably a good thing since you could end up burning ou the camera's focusing motor. But for those people who have the SDM motor burn out, it's a giant pain, especially when the lens is out of warranty. I despise SDM lenses for this very reason.

edit: uh oh, this just became an "I hate SDM" thread. The apologizers should be making an appearance real soon. Those are the ones who've never had an SDM failure and feel obligated to tell us what a perfect technology it is.