Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im indifferent at this moment, the 50-135 is the only SDM lens I've owned and I don't know whether or not I was just majorly unlucky or not.

I like SDM because I find it smoother and quieter, but I'm cautious on the reliability, I'll see how it goes after I get a replacement. I suspect I might have had a bad lens since day one, I found the MF ring wasn't always the smoothest and this lens was brought into the retailer here in September, I think it was manufactured last year. I am going to give Pentax the benefit of the doubt as it would seem newer lenses have had improved SDM.

So I am willing to wait and see, if it happens again then I'll definitely kick up a stink.

I do like the screw drive as I find it fast but it's damn noisy.

03-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
I do like the screw drive as I find it fast but it's damn noisy.
You wouldn't like it so much on the 50-135mm, I've heard it's actually slower than the SDM drive.
03-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So whats it mean then the focus ring turns and turns and turns, but nothing else happens :P
Whereas early on before the failure, it would turn, then and you would hear it tap when the focus was at max or min.
03-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

So whats it mean then the focus ring turns and turns and turns, but nothing else happens :P
Whereas early on before the failure, it would turn, then and you would hear it tap when the focus was at max or min.
Just means the focus mechanism is jammed. The focus ring only makes partial contact with the focus mechanism, and then only while you're turning it. Think of it as a really worn out clutch on a manual transmission. Any amount of extra resistance in the focus mechanism will make the focus ring useless.

03-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Well I can confirm the SDM was working as it was trying its hardest to spin, could hear it make noise and it could just SLIGHTLY move the focus, but yer it's definitely jammed.

Oh well I contacted the director of the Australian distributor and send it off this morning.
Sorry to hear about that - complete bummer.

Your information helps me though. If its a linkage or focus mechanism jam and thats indicated by a tight focus sleeve, then we have a tipoff what to expect if the focus sleeve starts to tighten up. That means to me that the motor size is fine; i never could understand when folks talked about electric motors failiing, since many small motors run for years and years.

I think if i got a new 50-135 lens with a tight focus sleeve, i would send it back. I've been lucky, my focus sleeve spins very freely, knock on wood.

Phil
03-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All's Good, sent it to CR Kennedy Melbourne yesterday and they have agreed to replace it out of goodwill. I ****en love these guys, I cannot rate CRK Australias service more highly as in my 3 experiences with them has been fantastic.

Dear Customer,

We have received the lens. The service manage has decided to replace the lens out of good will.
An internal element of the lens has been dislodged and as such the warranty would usually have been voided.

A few things to note is:

The bag was torn in one corner when we received the package. which indicates rough handling.
The lens element has totally dislodge. In all cases, if the lens arrive in our hands in this condition, the warranty would be voided.
The lens box has a dispatch sleeve stuck to the outside of the box. Our standard practise is to box the good, with foam to protect it during transportation and to have the invoice sleeve on the box that the item is transported in. There was an invoice sleeve on the actual lens box. This could be a retravision practise but indicates that the lens could have been inadequately packages during transportation at retravision.
Kind regards,

Consumer Support
Consumer Support
03-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow very nice, congrats. I sort of chuckled about the bag part.
03-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I am breathing a sigh of relief.

I leave for overseas in 3 weeks so at least it happened now.

Wonder how much force it would take to dislodge the lens....must damn fragile inside, anyone taken apart an SDM lens yet?

03-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Personallly, I'd be both relieved and angry. Sure, they're replacing the lens, but they're essentially saying they didn't have to because it was someone else's fault. They're doing it "out of the goodness of their hearts". I call BS.

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-24-2010 at 09:29 AM.
03-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh well they're replacing it, that's all that matters.

Least it wasn't a repair.
03-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

This is great customer service! They bite the lips on this one...
03-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got it back this afternoon

Sent it away Monday Morning, back Thursday afternoon.

Top Customer service.
03-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #43

Since it appears this has become the most current "broken SDM on 50-135 DA*" thread, I thought I would keep you guys in the loop in regards to my latest events with Pentax Canada. Here how it started:
Brought the second one to Pentax Canada's service dept. yesterday (I work 2 blocks away). Was hoping to meet Stephen Ho to discuss the matter with him but again, I was told he was on vacation... (I really want to work for Pentax Canada... they seem to have unparalleled benefits!!!!)
In a nutshell, here's how it went:
Gene: G'day, I am here to bring back the 50-135 that you replaced for me in October 2009, it has the same issue now, I need to keep my finger on the AF button for at least 5 minutes for it to wake-up and start focusing...
Pentax Dude: Mmm... let's see. Never heard this before...
Gene: Oh please! this is the replacement for a lens I brought you in October with the same issue....
PD: Ah. Yes. Remember now... We have couple of these...
PD: When you purchased lens?
Gene: The original, in December of 2007.
PD: Ah! This not covered with Warranty!
Gene: You're joking, right? This lens is not even 6 months old!!! (trying to stay calm...)
PD: No no! Warranty from original lens purchase only. Now expired!
Gene: (biting my tongue!) Serioulsy, this is my second failure, same model, same issue, now on a different body. Can you do something?
PD: You asking for goodwill warranty?
Gene: Not only "me asking" but Pentax should provide an extended warranty on these!
PD: Me not allowed to offer, you must request...
Gene (getting red in the face): Me wholeheartedly, firmly and unequivocally ASKING for a goodwill warranty!
PD: OK Sir, me see what I can do, will call you with results...
Gene: Thank you! BTW, I really love the optics, it is flawless, so I'd prefer you fix it rather than relpace it this time.
PD: Yes, 50-135 optics very good, but SDM not so good... (then, as he was looking at my 16-50): For 16-50, SDM OK, but optically, not so good...
Gene (now looking totally baffled!): OK, thanks for the insight... Ciao!

Will keep you posted....
Gene

Warranty expired.
Motor replaced. 0048120 0-G201 Gear Plate assembly.
Tech Note: The original P.O.P. already expired. As a goodwill gesture, we will charge for parts only.
Cost: $102.20

So.... They are replacing the motor and I guess a "gear plate assembly". So which of these parts actually failed? Has anyone disassembled this lens before?
In any case, I am satisfied with this settlement as this particular lens is optically stellar, much better than the first one I had. It is one of my favorite lens. I am happy they are not replacing it... BUT... How long will it last? I hope that "IF" Pentax has a long term solution or a redesign, it will be implemented on this lens!

Will keep you posted..
xGene
03-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Since it appears this has become the most current "broken SDM on 50-135 DA*" thread, I thought I would keep you guys in the loop in regards to my latest events with Pentax Canada. Here how it started:
Brought the second one to Pentax Canada's service dept. yesterday (I work 2 blocks away). Was hoping to meet Stephen Ho to discuss the matter with him but again, I was told he was on vacation... (I really want to work for Pentax Canada... they seem to have unparalleled benefits!!!!)
In a nutshell, here's how it went:
Gene: G'day, I am here to bring back the 50-135 that you replaced for me in October 2009, it has the same issue now, I need to keep my finger on the AF button for at least 5 minutes for it to wake-up and start focusing...
Pentax Dude: Mmm... let's see. Never heard this before...
Gene: Oh please! this is the replacement for a lens I brought you in October with the same issue....
PD: Ah. Yes. Remember now... We have couple of these...
PD: When you purchased lens?
Gene: The original, in December of 2007.
PD: Ah! This not covered with Warranty!
Gene: You're joking, right? This lens is not even 6 months old!!! (trying to stay calm...)
PD: No no! Warranty from original lens purchase only. Now expired!
Gene: (biting my tongue!) Serioulsy, this is my second failure, same model, same issue, now on a different body. Can you do something?
PD: You asking for goodwill warranty?
Gene: Not only "me asking" but Pentax should provide an extended warranty on these!
PD: Me not allowed to offer, you must request...
Gene (getting red in the face): Me wholeheartedly, firmly and unequivocally ASKING for a goodwill warranty!
PD: OK Sir, me see what I can do, will call you with results...
Gene: Thank you! BTW, I really love the optics, it is flawless, so I'd prefer you fix it rather than relpace it this time.
PD: Yes, 50-135 optics very good, but SDM not so good... (then, as he was looking at my 16-50): For 16-50, SDM OK, but optically, not so good...
Gene (now looking totally baffled!): OK, thanks for the insight... Ciao!

Will keep you posted....
Gene

Warranty expired.
Motor replaced. 0048120 0-G201 Gear Plate assembly.
Tech Note: The original P.O.P. already expired. As a goodwill gesture, we will charge for parts only.
Cost: $102.20

So.... They are replacing the motor and I guess a "gear plate assembly". So which of these parts actually failed? Has anyone disassembled this lens before?
In any case, I am satisfied with this settlement as this particular lens is optically stellar, much better than the first one I had. It is one of my favorite lens. I am happy they are not replacing it... BUT... How long will it last? I hope that "IF" Pentax has a long term solution or a redesign, it will be implemented on this lens!

Will keep you posted..
xGene
Hmmm, they say the motor replaced, then give a part number for the Gear Plate Assembly. I'm guessing that this is like a modular part which contains both the motor and the Gear Plate Assembly. Probably provided by a subcontractor and the modular aspects speeds assembly of the lenses.

I'm wondering now whether the whole slip clutch mechanism of the focus ring is putting some reverse torque on the focus motor /gear mechanism that is adversely affecting it over time. I've never used the slip flocus mechanism much on my 2 sdm lenses because my first lenses did not have that feature and i just never got into the habit of using the slip manual focus. But perhaps thats the reason my SDM 50-135 has lasted longer than others.

Do either of you guys use the slip manual focus functionality a lot???
03-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #45

Not heavily, but on a regular basis. Actually, I use it much more heavily on my 16-50 DA*, which has shown no sign of SDM "weakness" so far and I have been using it twice as hard for the year I owned it so far.
One thing I suspect though is that the focusing lens group in the 50-135 may be more "massive" and has more inertia that the focusing lens group in the 16-50, hence adding strain on the SDM. This is of course pure speculation on my part...

I am picking up my 50-135 at Pentax Canada today, it has been repaired. Will keep you guys informed if anything is wrong. Of course I am taking my K7 to test...

Gene