Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What Pentax gear will help me get this sharp ?

Ok ... from time to time I look at various people's photos. This guy's portfolio blows me away .... Fullframe v/Atle Goutbeek

I don't know what camera he uses - I guess a Canon 5D MkII or so. But his photos have this ultra sharp and *very clean* sort of feel to them - the perfect blend of lighting, color and clarity.

I am at the point where I am starting to wonder if my K10D is not good enough or I need to learn more techniques. In general, I am beginning to question Pentax versus Nikon and Canon. No offense!

Does clarity vary impeccably if I compare 10megapixel cameras from Pentax to 10mgp in Nikon or Canaon? Or special lenses are doing the magic ? I am sure lighting & post processing plays an important role as well; but I wonder if any Pentax user on this forum knows and produces images like the ones above with Pentax gear.

What kind of gear from Pentax for the outdoor portraits will help me get this amount of sharpness ?

-sbw
Pentax K10D
Sigma 17-70mm Wide Angle Lens
Sigma 105mm Medium Telephoto Macro Lens
Sigma 70-200mm Telephoto Lens
Pentax 50mm Prime

03-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This fellow has a professional website, but is very slow to load up - I gave up after seeing 2 of his images.
From what I gather from his work, it's all a matter of good lighting techniques - particularly with his portraiture.

Have a look at devisor's work on this forum - all of his portraits are of immaculate quality with great detail and exquisite creativity in his lighting. The results speak for themselves - it's not the camera, and it is also not necessarily how expensive your lenses are either. It's how your subject is lit and rendered on 'film'.
03-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There's some very nice photos on that site. There are photos posted in threads on this site that are just as good re: sharpness/clarity. Lighting is a learned skill, just like taking photos is.

I'm going to ask the obvious question here- are you using a tripod for your landscape work? I'm sure you'd find the photographer you linked uses one for almost every shot.

If your Sigma 70-200 is anything like mine it should provide you with the level of clarity/contrast/sharpness that you are seeking. The 105 should as well, though I've never shot with one.

Good luck in your quest!
03-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Damn Brit

This thread is a duplicate of this one - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/94402-question-...rp-pentax.html

Closed Thread