Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2007, 05:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K28/3.5

Is there any 'problem' with using this lens on a K100D? A friend said to me yesterday, he thought there was - he explained that this lens is manufactured with an 'adjustment' for a traditional 35mm camera, (sorry I can't put into words exactly how - he lost me in the 'techie' talk) and that there may be an issue using this on the K100D because of the 1.5X
factor. Is this true?

I have been reading the lens database reviews on this site as well as Stan's Pentax - where some feel that "K28/3.5, IMHO, is the best 28mm lens Pentax ever made in optical performance."

There is one available at a local camera store and I am tempted to purchase it - what is the consensus of the group.

BTW just purchased my first lens (other than the kit lens)- a A50/1.7 - picking it up today - can't wait to try it out!

07-11-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No issue at all, provided you'll have to shoot manual. Also because of the crop sensor the 28mm lens will be a 42mm lens of the k100d.

Last edited by Deni; 07-11-2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: stupid math mistake
07-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're "techie" friend is totally off base. This lens will work just fine on the camera as long as you go into the cameras menu and change the aperture ring setting to "pemitted". That will allow older "M" style lenses to work on the camera. You can even use 40 year old screwmounts with the correct adaptor. Now this lens will be totally manual in both exposure and focus but once you get used to it, it will be a great addition to your bag. Optically it is a great lens. Go grab it if the price is affordable.

As for the 1.5 crop factor the lens will work about the equivalent to a 42mm lens on a digital body and the new 50mm you got (great lens too) will be about the same as a 75mm lens on a film body. (28 x 1.5 = 42mm approx)
07-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Unfortunately the m28/3.5 was swooped up by someone else... oh well, the person I picked up the A50/1.7 from said he had a Kiron 28/2 he could sell me... never heard of that brandhttp is it worth purchasing?

Tried the A50/1.7 late this afternoon - really enjoyed using it - easier than I thought - haven't had a chance to download the pictures to my computer to review - but they looked pretty good on the LCD screen...

07-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

From what I've read on this forum both Kiron and the older Vivitar Series 1 lenses are very good. I haven't heard anything bad. Some might have the "A" on the aperture ring which means the camera with meter the Aperture in camera which is good to have.