Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering the Sigma 70-200mm 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM II

I am a relative novice to DSLR photography, but have been photographing rec league football for several years. I recently purchased a K-2000 camera and am considering the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM II for sports photography, especially at night. I just want to make sure I am purchasing the right lense. Does my camera support the Sigma HSM autofocusing? Is this lense good for sports? The Sigma website seems to only tout it's macro capabilities. Will a Kenko teleconverter work with this lens, or willl I need to purchase a Sigma APO teleconverter?
Thanks for your help.

03-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #2

I was looking to do the same thing. I talked to Sigma. They told me the sigma teleconverter will not work with the K-x.
He also stated that any other teleconverter will turn it into a manual focus lens.
The tamron 70 200 sounds like a better answer.

I ordered the new 120 400 with hsm os, but I am not crazy about the weight since I don't use a tripod and I do walk a lot.

I have no personal hands on knowledge of the above lenses.
Joe
I also am hesitant of the iq of the 120 400 , Hoping that the os will help make up for it.
03-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I shoot rugby with the first iteration of that lens, so no HSM for me. I usually use the Sigma 1.4x TC, but when it gets dark, or under inadeqaute lighting, I take the TC off. True you can't get the shots on the other side of the field, but you can get enough of the field (running up and down the sideline) to get great shots. The problem with the longer zoom lenses is that they are slower (not f2.8). If you've got great lighting that may not be a problem.

There are Tamron and Kenko TC's that seem to work for some HSM lenses. Success does seem to vary from person to person though.

Yes your camera supports HSM.
03-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My hsm version works fine with the kenko 1.5 TC in decent light. In low light not so much

03-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make sure the Kenko teleconverter has the words "Pz" on it, these TC's work with HSM. Some people get confused with the Kenko 1.4x TC and the Kenko 1.4x Pz TC. They look identical and have identical names.
03-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
But I don't think Tamron makes a TX for pentax, or are you saying go with the Tamron Lens and then I can use the Kenko Converter which is compatible
03-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #7

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I just got the Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro myself, (about a month ago). I think its a great lens and the speed of the focus is great to. I got it for motorcross images but haven't had the chance to photograph them yet, the first race is this weekend. I was thinking about the TC to but that can wait, the longer lens may be better. The Tamron is meant to be slightly sharper but The Sigma is pretty good to. I went for the Sigma because of the HSM. From the shots I have taken so far I am pretty impressed with it. In low light you are probably better off using manual focus anyway.

03-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by sbluems Quote
But I don't think Tamron makes a TX for pentax, or are you saying go with the Tamron Lens and then I can use the Kenko Converter which is compatible
Yes ,These were my thoughts
Joe