Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Perhaps, and I have also posted a shot using the SMC300F4 plus 1.7x AF TC (510mm effective) hand held at 1/40th. No way possible without SR, but, and here is the real issue, I shoot a lot wide open to get shutter speed because regardless of how good SR is, especially on my K7, it does nothing if the subject moves.

For subject motion, you need shutter speed, and that only comes, at the end of the day, with bigger heavier, faster glass, although this is somewhat being offset with better and better high ISO quality the technology is not happening fast enough yet.
Ah... excellent point, I know I was able to get away with that because that little bugger was frozen solid (holding its breath) to avoid being detected. I said I have the Vivitar 70-210 F3.5, that glass is heavy, perhaps, I should take it out more often ... I know I can always use some advice from experienced photog like you, thanks..

03-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Ah... excellent point, I know I was able to get away with that because that little bugger was frozen solid (holding its breath) to avoid being detected. I said I have the Vivitar 70-210 F3.5, that glass is heavy, perhaps, I should take it out more often ... I know I can always use some advice from experienced photog like you, thanks..
If it is the Series 1 Version 1, it is a great lens. Infact it was the first lens I bought, after my first camera and 50mmF2

Still have it and take it out frequently because although it is MF, the single ring zoom and focus, is really great for tracking action. but I agree, at 2 pounds, it is substantial, but then, when you consider taking out several lenses at a time it is only part of the total weight you pack. I usually consider probably 10 pounds is a reasonable packing weight.