Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #1

"The One That Got Away" Club!

For those of us who have stories to tell

Interesting, funny, wierd? Hopefully not to many ebay sniper stories

Edit: um, just realised, if this isn't a suitable thread for lens discussion, appologies, admins please feel free to move

Last edited by cps_goodbuy; 03-21-2010 at 04:24 PM.
03-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #2

Original Poster
For me I have two atm:

I was taking a look through a Pawn shop in germany, going through the usual box of old lenses when I noticed a briefcase that they had to the side. A recently pawn'd item with no price, I asked about it and proceeded to open it. Took a quick glance at the lovely foam interior... and then... Meh I felt, "Canon". An oldish body and a handfull of lenses, 135mm etc all canon ...then I saw it and my eyes grew...

Canon 55mm 1.2 FD Aspherical S.S.C

I asked how much and they said €225 for the lot! ..however they were planning to put it on ebay. After debating with myself and with my girlfriend obviously not understanding why I was interested (she went to look at dvds) I tried to see if I could just buy the one lense, maybe the 135mm (lol) but eventually to nab the 55mm, but no go. "We're selling it as a whole" he replied.... So I said... I'll come back in a short while and buy it all on my creditcard (I'm a poor student and it was a lot of money to me). They wouldn't take a deposit or keep it for me, as another elderly man asked about it, but he didn't like the price and left.

Obviously in doubt and with the intention to check prices, I returned a little while later and *poof* ...gone...

My other is a little short:

I found on ebay a guy selling his lenses to make way for another system. I was interested in one, a Tamron 2.8 28-75 macro and no bids (it was mislabled in the title) I sent a message to ask if he had a buy-it-now or reserve....went over to GF's and just returned. Recieved an email, he wanted 65! I was about to jump, then realised he had put up the BIN while I was away and someone else nabbed it.....

....this one happened about 30min ago
03-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
THIS was in my Ebay watch list and I forgot all about it.
03-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
ouch. I could had gone for $750 for it. from the looks of it's condition, it's a total steal at merely $500 including shipping. I'm just wondering how much he was asking for it with the BIN option.

03-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh damn.
03-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Pentax A* 300mm F4 that went for US$130 on eBay, and I was distracted with a household crisis just as the auction ended. I wept...

Not that I really needed it, but I wept anyway. No onions were involved.
03-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow. I paid $1500 for an A* 200mm Macro with missing paint and some other external wear, but perfect glass and mechanics. I think it was absolutely worth the price too. It is the best lens I have ever used. That one would have been even more worth the price. Just for good measure, one more

03-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ouch!!!!

I was going to post about letting the same model, graded EX from KEH for $999 slip through my fingers a couple of years ago. . . I called them to see if it was still available, and the CS guy said it was. . . then one of the cats walked on the phone and cut the connection. . . By the time I was able to redial, it was gone --

BTW, the cat is still alive, and I've since settled with a Sigma 180 Macro, and I'm probably better off with this lens overall, but it was heart breaking at the time.

Scott

03-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My one that got away is pretty mundane. I got the 31mm LTD when Prodigital2000 was selling them for just over $600, and I just wish I would have picked up the 43mm LTD and 77mm LTD at the same time. I think Prodigital had the 43 for something like $350, and the 77 for $550 or so.
03-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won an auction for a "Pentax Camera" for $37, described in the ad as a ZX-10 with "everything you need to get started!". One blurry cell phone picture of it, but it clearly had a 43mm limited on it. I tried to play it cool when I paid, but when I didn't hear anything for a few days I had to email again, asking when it would come.... Oh, it was shipped. A few days later, same questions, same one line response. Few days later "it is taking a long time because I live in the country". Few days later "I checked at my school mail center, and they shipped it, it must have been lost in the mail." ARRRGH! Needless to say the seller never did give me a refund, I had to open an eBay case to get my money back.

Maybe selling it for a friend, who freaked out at the low price? Maybe it was stolen goods? If it was a scam on me, it was a bad one. Every now and then when I get the mail I feel a little sliver of misguided hope that today it arrived....
03-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Ouch!!!!

I was going to post about letting the same model, graded EX from KEH for $999 slip through my fingers a couple of years ago. . . I called them to see if it was still available, and the CS guy said it was. . . then one of the cats walked on the phone and cut the connection. . . By the time I was able to redial, it was gone --

BTW, the cat is still alive, and I've since settled with a Sigma 180 Macro, and I'm probably better off with this lens overall, but it was heart breaking at the time.

Scott
well you could always get the Sigma 150/2.8 for the Sigma mount.
not to mention it's AF and has a faster aperture.

too bad it's not available for the K-mount. anyway, if all works well with the SD15 body, I may consider buying one just to use the 150mm. or might consider getting a D5000 for it.

the Ricoh GXR does look good. too bad the camera mount wont allow such lens to be used.