Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A $16.35 70-210 Macro

OSAWA MARK II Zoom f4 70-200mm Macro Pentax Mount Case - eBay (item 120540340129 end time Mar-14-10 14:03:38 PDT)

I shot with an Osawa Macro 70-210mm f 4-5 today. The bokeh is excellent on it and sharpness is very good. Colors are right on and contrast is very good. All of this is throughout the range-- a very nice lens for under $17. The build quality is close to excellent, with the exception of the zoom creep, though the zoom does not throw far enough to make it an issue to me. Focus is as smooth as can be--a pure delight to manually focus, with a knurled, rubber focus ring that looks made to last. It has a neat little built in hood too--wow! It does decent macro, but in the tradition of the 23a Tamron--with that awkward push/pull to focus setup. However, unlike my 60-300 Adaptall, the Osawa easily goes into Macro mode.

I wish I had what it takes to put up a formal review, in the Stevebrot tradition, but this should give a decent idea of what the lens is like.

1st shot about 120mm 2nd Shot wide open, at 210 mm 3rd shot about 80mm f8 4th %100 crop of 3rd shot 5th shot @ 210mm f8

03-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you should worry about criticism facing a potential addition to the wonderful resources that are available on the forum. Surely in most cases, anything written in the Lens Reviews section just might be appreciated by someone else.
I encourage you and many others to make contributions to the Lens Reviews section more often.

Either that or pass the lens around so we can all feel it and judge it's performance.
03-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nowhere Matt I don't think you should worry about criticism facing a potential addition to the wonderful resources that are available on the forum. Surely in most cases, anything written in the Lens Reviews section just might be appreciated by someone else.
I encourage you and many others to make contributions to the Lens Reviews section more often.

Either that or pass the lens around so we can all feel it and judge it's performance.
Matt:

I am not concerned about criticism, in fact, I embrace it. I have been at the forum for 2 years, have made nearly 2500 posts--I understand the invaluable resources here--thanks though. I have made more contributions to our Reviews section than I can count, but like to contribute my review after I have shot with a lens for at least 6 months. Someone else just might appreciate this thread too, as it follows on the heels of a thread I made last week concerning Osawa lenses.

Finally, I have sold more than a dozen lenses in our Marketplace. If I decide to sell this one someday, I'll let you know. Here are a few more shots--all shots in this thread were Raws downsized only--no PPing whatsoever. There was more light available for these shots, than the ones posted above.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 03-22-2010 at 10:12 PM.