Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 100 WR macro vs Sigma 105 macro

Hei

I have the Sigma 105 mm macro lens. I am not dissatisfied with it, but the new Pentax weather sealed macro looks so fine

I am thinking of selling the Sigma and buying the Pentax, but want to hear if anyone has tried both. From the lens reviews at this forum, the new Pentax macro looks very good, but so does the Sigma 105, so it is still a draw.

Hopefully the IQ is good enough on both?

The differences as I see them is focus delimiter and the quick shift focus system.
The lack of focus delimiter is a con, but the quick shift focus system is a huge pro for the Pentax 100 mm wr lens.

Anyone tried both? and how is the autofocus speed an accuracy when compared?

Gunnar

03-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I have been looking at the new 100mm WR myself and contemplating selling my Sigma. I want to point out that the Sigma 105mm EX DG macro has the ability to select af or mf and focus with one had. In addition, it has the aperture ring. On the other hand the, WR has the in addition to the sealing, the new aperture blades SMC and SP. In reality, I would rather see Sigma release the 150mm f2.8 EX DG macro in pka mount.
03-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
GSk
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
the Sigma 105mm EX DG macro has the ability to select af or mf and focus with one had.
Hm. My Sigma 105mm EX DG macro is not usable with this function. Even though I switch to MF, I have to set the camera to MF also, othervise I will force the AF motor in the camera to move. Is my lens not working properly, or have I misunderstood? I know this Sigma lens has this function on other cameras, but have always thought that the Pentax version lacks this function.
03-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quick shift is pointless in macro anyways.... if you want consistently good results get good at MF with the shallow DOF accompanying 1:1 mag.

For using the lens as a mid-tele than I guess its a pro but not a big one IMO. I honestly can't comprehend selling my sigma for the Pentax. The only way I'd do that is for a macro with a focal length longer than 105mm.

03-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Quick shift is pointless in macro anyways.... if you want consistently good results get good at MF with the shallow DOF accompanying 1:1 mag.

For using the lens as a mid-tele than I guess its a pro but not a big one IMO. I honestly can't comprehend selling my sigma for the Pentax. The only way I'd do that is for a macro with a focal length longer than 105mm.
With only about a week of experience with the Pentax I can say that the quick shift is quite useful in macro. It allows you to get very close so the camera's AF can just snap right in. For me, I predict it will make for a lot more keepers. The lens (like most other macros) makes for a great short range telephoto, especially if you're a Prime shooter and are missing something in the 100mm range.

QuoteOriginally posted by GSk Quote
Hm. My Sigma 105mm EX DG macro is not usable with this function. Even though I switch to MF, I have to set the camera to MF also, othervise I will force the AF motor in the camera to move. Is my lens not working properly, or have I misunderstood? I know this Sigma lens has this function on other cameras, but have always thought that the Pentax version lacks this function.
Don't know anything about the sigma but the ones I've had with an AF/MF function would completely dis-engage the AF motor when set to MF. Leaving the Camera on AF and the lens on MF, you should be able to focus trap with the lens (depending on your camera, K10d may not do it).

03-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
With only about a week of experience with the Pentax I can say that the quick shift is quite useful in macro. It allows you to get very close so the camera's AF can just snap right in. For me, I predict it will make for a lot more keepers. The lens (like most other macros) makes for a great short range telephoto, especially if you're a Prime shooter and are missing something in the 100mm range.
Auto focus is pointless IMO when your in the 1:2+ range or around there.... Im predicting even with quick shift you will get much less keepers compared to full manual focus. That is unless the person testing is a terrible MF shooter. Besides you can't choose magnification when shooting AF. If you want a exact 1:1 shot your going to have a lot of trouble when using autofocus to get 1:1. Manual focus you simply set the magnification you want and move the camera itself back and forth....

I for one shoot manual focus with all my lenses a good chunk of the time so i guess im kind of biased

And I know, I use my sigma 105mm constantly as a portrait/mid tele lens, although much less now that I have the Pentax 85mm.
03-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

and to add to what yeatzee said, many people use focus rails to fine focus 1:1 or greater images.
03-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
EKR

I have the 100mm WR and have tried the 105mm Sigma.

I should preface this a bit: I shoot with the K10D, I have the 100mm WR now. I have tried the 105mm Sigma and used to own the 105mm VS1. I like the 100mm WR for IQ, weight, build, bokeh...but it is a nightmare in autofocus. If you are in the middle of the range, it tends to jump in the wrong direction and stay there. Not having a limiter on this lens results in bad focusing decisions on the K10d, for me.

If you prefocus a bit, then it is fine...most of the time.

I agree that MF is the route to the best shots, but not every shot can be had within the time frame necessary for MF. Preparation helps, but even the crazy AF is faster to a degree. It won't necessarily pick out the best FOV for you, but sometimes the choice is between close and not at all.

If you are prepared to do it right, or compensate for its idiosyncracy, then the lens is great. I got it because I wanted a fully sealed system for macros in Oregon and similarly wet or dusty environments.

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Auto focus is pointless IMO when your in the 1:2+ range or around there.... Im predicting even with quick shift you will get much less keepers compared to full manual focus. That is unless the person testing is a terrible MF shooter. Besides you can't choose magnification when shooting AF. If you want a exact 1:1 shot your going to have a lot of trouble when using autofocus to get 1:1. Manual focus you simply set the magnification you want and move the camera itself back and forth....

I for one shoot manual focus with all my lenses a good chunk of the time so i guess im kind of biased

And I know, I use my sigma 105mm constantly as a portrait/mid tele lens, although much less now that I have the Pentax 85mm.