Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Bah!!! Gotta have all 3.. The two will be lonely without their little brother.. Too much space in between. Besides, you just know that pentax is going to do a Full Frame Camera (yeah, right ).. Don't you want to be prepared?????? No? Can't blame you. If I hadn't bought my FA Limited lenses long before the prices jacked, I'd be thinking twice about them. I'm sure the 40 (and 70) is a nice lens too. I just can't see having both.. It would be one or the other for me too.
Here's my reasoning:

DA 40mm is smaller
DA 40mm is WAY cheaper
DA 40mm does actually cover the full frame

The only downside I can see is that the DA 40mm is slower (F2.8 vs F1.9). Oh, and since I have a silver 31mm and intend to get a silver 77mm, the black DA 40mm will look a little out of place

03-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know how it feels. I bought mine almost a month ago and still have butterflies in my stomack when I use it. It's a magical lens. Have fun with it and keep posting.
03-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OMG!!! I forgot to update my profile! How will people know of my new awesomeness if I don't list it in my profile?!?

...phew, that was close. All is well now.
03-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Here's my reasoning:

DA 40mm is smaller
DA 40mm is WAY cheaper
DA 40mm does actually cover the full frame

The only downside I can see is that the DA 40mm is slower (F2.8 vs F1.9). Oh, and since I have a silver 31mm and intend to get a silver 77mm, the black DA 40mm will look a little out of place
It'll look out of place, sure.. My 31 and 43 are black and the 77 is silver. Considering what I paid for it though, I don't care. The 3 are never on the camera at one time.. The only one I bought New was the 43 and that's when Pentax was still Pentax and giving $100 lens rebates (cash rebates). Of course, the price difference has always been there. At the time, the 40 could be had for $250 from B&H without any rebates.

These were all done with my FA Limiteds..

03-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These were all done with my FA Limiteds.. .
Oh I've already looked at those. A lot. I've been drooling over FA Limited pictures ever since I've learned of those lenses, and those are some fine examples.

Speaking of which, now that I'm at home on my own monitor, I notice that the picture I posted in this thread is horribly developed. Serves me right for doing it on a super-crappy monitor at my wife's workplace. I'll have to fix that.

edit: there we go, that's better (updated picture in original post)

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-22-2010 at 07:40 PM.
03-23-2010, 05:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats for the new toy, Frank !

As has already been written, I don't think you'll be able to stop at just one Ltd

PS.: if you want to try out the FA77, we could arrange something as I live not too far from you...
03-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I could also help if you want to try the 43. It's an awesome lens.
03-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
PS.: if you want to try out the FA77, we could arrange something as I live not too far from you...
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I could also help if you want to try the 43. It's an awesome lens.
That would be really awesome! I'll wait a bit, though... otherwise I might be tempted to increase my mortgage a bit (it's up for renewal right now).

03-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I've been lusting after this lens ever since I got my K-7. I got it from a fellow forum member, and I couldn't be happier with it. This lens is everything I hoped it would be, and then some. It finally gives me the field of view I've been wanting, whereas my Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 just wasn't quite wide enough.

Of course, the moment I got the lens, I had to go out and use it. It was drizzling out, but I didn't care. I slapped on a super-cheap WalMart-bought Targus UV filter to keep the rain off the lens ($16 for UV/CPL kit what a joke!) and went to my favourite hiking trail:

Yep, I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this lens.
Hey Goreman, that's a beauty you just got yourself!
I also have been lusting for one of these and maybe I will one day post a "Wanted" thread.
The price for a new one is totally insane so I guess I will have to look for unlikely deals.
Congrats and enjoy!

JP
03-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Bah!!! Gotta have all 3.. The two will be lonely without their little brother.. Too much space in between. Besides, you just know that pentax is going to do a Full Frame Camera (yeah, right ).. Don't you want to be prepared?????? No? Can't blame you. If I hadn't bought my FA Limited lenses long before the prices jacked, I'd be thinking twice about them. I'm sure the 40 (and 70) is a nice lens too. I just can't see having both.. It would be one or the other for me too.

Agree with Jeff, got all three FA limited... you will have a great fun using them all. The 43mm is the stealthiest (smallest) of all three. Those three are my go-to lenses for traveling purposes.
03-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Our of curiosity, how long has the FA 31mm ltd been in production for? I've read reviews about it from all the way back in 2002.
03-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Since 2001 according to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount page.

Frank, have a whale of time using that FA 31mm lens. I know what I first got it, it got stuck in my camera for 6-months.