Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Significant camera drop.

I'm not usually one to panic about dropping my camera, but I dropped it BAD.

I had my DA* 55 on my K-x and it fell out of the back of my sling-bag about four feet onto the ground. Hit the 55's lens hood, then the left corner of the body and bounced to a rest.

Got a neat little crack in the corner of the K-x but it seems fine. When I picked up the lens I first thought I had cracked the little window with the focusing distances, but it wasn't a crack; It was a little black wire. I slowly turned the focus ring and it got pulled back where it came from I'm guessing. The focus ring was stiff at first but now it seems to have settled back to how it was prior drop. It focuses fine and just as fast as it did before (Not too fast, but no drop in speed).

I bought the lens not even a month ago. Any ideas on what I should do? Think B&H might replace it, or should I have it looked at by Pentax? How long does that take? I'm just worried with how finicky SDM is that it doesn't need any help to fail.

Thanks.

-Noah

03-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ouch dude, I don't think B&H or Pentax would replace it for free since you dropped it. I would have it checked out.
03-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There's no evidence of the drop on the lens. Is there a way to test for decentering?

I think I'm just scaring myself. I'm no measurebator by any means.
03-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
There's no evidence of the drop on the lens. Is there a way to test for decentering?

I think I'm just scaring myself. I'm no measurebator by any means.
This post on a public forum isn't evidence

They don't only look for external damage, while doing repairs. They look for any bent, broken, misaligned or flattened parts inside as well.
Just like good doctors don't only look for bruising on the outside after you've had an accident. It's always the internal damage that causes the problems.

just a quick edit. B&H does have a spokesman, whom monitors this site. He does a very good job at answering anyone's questions that they might have about B&H, plus he tried helping their loyal customers out with any problems.
There's a good chance that he'll find this post, using the search feature.

03-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
This post on a public forum isn't evidence

They don't only look for external damage, while doing repairs. They look for any bent, broken, misaligned or flattened parts inside as well.
Just like good doctors don't only look for bruising on the outside after you've had an accident. It's always the internal damage that causes the problems.

just a quick edit. B&H does have a spokesman, whom monitors this site. He does a very good job at answering anyone's questions that they might have about B&H, plus he tried helping their loyal customers out with any problems.
There's a good chance that he'll find this post, using the search feature.
I would never intend to try to deceive B&H as they have been nothing but fantastic for me. I said that there was no external evidence of the fall in possibly reassuring myself that it might be okay or to help forum members gauge the possible damage done.

I never had any intentions or meaning for that sort of thing. Thanks for the dose of cynicism though.

This thread is the byproduct of the drop and me panicking having just dropped almost $700.00 on a lens not too long ago. The DA* stuff is made to be professional gear so I'd guess it would be made to withstand this type of stuff but I'm looking for reassurance or input / advise from other photo-savvy peeps.
03-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

the best thing that you can really do is just use it. If you notice any abnormalities then consider sending it in, and if not don't worry about it.
I've dropped a new flash onto a concrete floor, while at an event, and treated it the same way. That was almost 2 years ago, and it's still going strong.
03-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
the best thing that you can really do is just use it. If you notice any abnormalities then consider sending it in, and if not don't worry about it.
I've dropped a new flash onto a concrete floor, while at an event, and treated it the same way. That was almost 2 years ago, and it's still going strong.
This is what I needed to hear. I'm pretty pragmatic about these kinds of things but at the same time this is the first time I've ever had that much money invested in such a small package. Hearing it from someone else puts me at a little ease.

Thanks.

03-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say you are OK. Just keep shooting. If you are concerned, shoot some brick walls wide open and see if the corners are sharp. However, I am afraid if the lens would need repair, it would likely be on you -- companies have ways of figuring out if something was dropped or not.
03-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, so I decided to just shoot with the lens and hope for the best however I found myself having trouble staying in focus so I did some laymen's test shots.

Used the centerpoint autofocus on the "d." in the center of the frame. It looks like it's back-focusing like crazy now. Could this be a result of the drop? I never did tests when I first got it but it's focus has always been accurate.

03-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Try some real world tests, not the sheet of paper.
The biggest problem with that test is the camera doesn't really know where you want it focused. It might be in perfect focus, for where it believes you want it to be.

For a back focus test I'd try setting a pen, or something like that on a cup, at a bit of an angle, then shooting it.
Sorry for the very bad pic, but more or less like this.

Please do yourself a favor, and use a tripod, unlike what I did.

The whole idea of this test is the camera usually focuses on what's closest, so it'll hopefully be the end of the pencil.
It's easy to look for a backfocus issue there, by seeing if it's sharper on the end of the eraser, or beyond. There are enough marks there to give you a good idea if it's past that.

I don't know of any good methods to test front focus
03-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You also want to shoot it in good lighting, do it when it's a sunny day.
03-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What sling bag was it, just out of curiosity.

For future reference, I'll want to be avoiding any sling bag that just lets my camera drop out onto the ground like that. Or did you not have the top flap or something not closed or zippered up?
03-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips guys, pics forthcoming.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What sling bag was it, just out of curiosity.

For future reference, I'll want to be avoiding any sling bag that just lets my camera drop out onto the ground like that. Or did you not have the top flap or something not closed or zippered up?
I only had half of the top flap zipped up; totally my fault.
03-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
I'm not usually one to panic about dropping my camera, but I dropped it BAD.

-Noah
I feel your pain.

I dropped two lenses at the same time. My DA55-300 was hopeless afterwards, repaired by Pentax at considerable cost, but still not as good as it was to begin with (it went back for a second time - they said it was 'within spec'. That explains why sample variation occurs - the nominal spec is pretty loose).

I also dropped my M200 f/4. That bit of heavy old iron hit the ground with a tremendous, blood-curdling clank, and now has a dented hood and filter thread. But the glass was unscathed and the performance still perfect.

Moral? Old primes built like tanks can take it. Zooms don't like being dropped or clonked against doorframes etc. at all.

Your lens may or may not focus well now, or it may be softer on one side than the other due to misaligned innards.