Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Went to wipe my 50/1.4 and no luck. Mold :-( How to clear?

I just thought it was a smudge.

Hong Kong just had a few weeks with 98%+ humidity, and dumb me, I didn't dry store my lenses.

Only the 50mm has been affected. It's only 6 months old... what should I do? Home hack job, or service people?

I'm leaning towards the latter! ;-)

Any tips on the going price to remove a very small amount of mold off a lens?

HK is famously cheap for some things, but notoriously expensive for others! Knowing the going price elsewhere will be a great help.

Thanks!

03-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #2

I find it hard to believe mold would have grown that quickly, it should take years if not decades.

Sit it in the sun for a few days, or maybe take it for a trip to a tanning salon.
03-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ask here.
Pentax 討論區 - DCHome.net 數碼天地論壇 輕銌臚@蚍すX相機網站 - Powered by Discuz!
03-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Mold and Fungus usually doesn't grow that fast. But I would suggest that you post some pics of the problem in question. Taking apart the lens by yourself is possible but depending on how the lens it can be quite complicated. If mold is indeed forming. I would think it's on the outside glass. If it were me I'd bring it into a shop. A 50/F1.4 lens isn't that cheap and would be definately be worth to fix over buying another one.

03-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
I find it hard to believe mold would have grown that quickly, it should take years if not decades.

Sit it in the sun for a few days, or maybe take it for a trip to a tanning salon.
You might be surprised. Having lived in Hong Kong for a couple of decades myself, I'd easily believe it - the combination of heat and humidity there can do incredible things.
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
You might be surprised. Having lived in Hong Kong for a couple of decades myself, I'd easily believe it - the combination of heat and humidity there can do incredible things.
the lens would have to have ben exposed to these elements during storage or non use to see mold growth that fast. I live in a city that has high temperatures and humidity (usually between 90-100%) all through the summer, but in a climate controlled room (even with the humidity around 60-70%) I have never seen anything like that. im not saying its not possible, just a bit unlikely.
03-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try a bit of Ponds cold cream, careful not to scratch though, it may lift the gunk whatever it is right off.
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by s嶧muis Quote
the lens would have to have ben exposed to these elements during storage or non use to see mold growth that fast.
It's quite possible it *was* stored exposed to those elements. He said he didn't dry-store it, and plenty of people don't leave their AC or humidifier running 24/7 or in every room. (I know for the two decades that I spent in HK, we seldom used the AC and the dehumidifiers likely had limited range / effect.

03-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Years ago, I sent a fungus-ridden lens (bought cheaply off Ebay) to Essex Camera Service in NJ. They cleaned it beautifully, it was not expensive, and it has never had a fungus problem since. Since then, I have become open to getting a lens with fungus. They were miracle workers. I sing their praise....
03-31-2010, 01:51 AM   #10

Yuck Fungus

Last time I had a fungus problem was after visiting South America. I had it cleaned for about a quater of the cost of a new lense. 12 months latter I had the same problem. Searching through all my old lensesthat are stored on an open shelf, every single one has mold. I guess i will be pulling them apart one by one and applying a little cold cream. There goes Easter.

James
03-31-2010, 03:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by James also Quote
Last time I had a fungus problem was after visiting South America. I had it cleaned for about a quater of the cost of a new lense. 12 months latter I had the same problem. Searching through all my old lensesthat are stored on an open shelf, every single one has mold. I guess i will be pulling them apart one by one and applying a little cold cream. There goes Easter.
Um... how do you determine the fungus came from South America, but not from the way the lenses were stored? Fungus spores are everywhere. Given the right environments, they grow.
04-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #12

Sth American fungus

Maybe It's just the romantic in me. It was something that I had not encountered till just after I came back from Sth America. The other thing is that I had bought the lens duty free to take it on the "Big trip". The conditions were damp and humid so I am not surprised.

James

It caught the lens version of the swine flu
04-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #13

it is interesting this thread continues to thrive more than a week later, without any input from the OP
04-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
it is interesting this thread continues to thrive more than a week later, without any input from the OP
That could be said of half the threads on the web. ;-)