Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I have to say I prefer DA 40 than the FA 43

I have just sold my DA 40mm and got my FA 43mm.

I decided to move from DA limited to FA limited, because I want my lens can mount both on my DSLR and film camera.

I got my FA 43mm today, and tried some pictures.

The bokeh of the FA 43mm is so beautiful, which is well-known for a FA Limited. However, the sharpness is not so satisfied as the DA 40mm.

The AF speed and its noise upset me to some extent, as I am used to DA 15 and DA 40.

The most important thing is, the color of DA 40 is much more Pentax than FA 43, I don't know why, just have this feeling.

At least, I wanna say on a DSLR, the DA 40mm seems much worthier as its price.

I hope the FA31mm coming tomorrow will change my viewpoints on FA Limited.

Last edited by henryjing; 03-24-2010 at 04:15 PM.
03-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote

I decided to move from DA limited to FA limited, because I want my lens can mount both on my DSLR and film camera.

The bokeh of the FA 43mm is so beautiful, which is well-known for a FA Limited. However, the sharpness is not so satisfied as the DA 40mm.

The AF speed and its noise upset me to some extent, as I am used to DA 15 and DA 40.

The most important thing is, the color of DA 40 is much more Pentax than FA 43, I don't know why, just have this feeling.

Too bad you are reporting this about your FA 43 Ltd because I am waiting for mine to come in.
On the other hand, I read lots of reviews on the 43 Ltd and most, if not all, are very positive.
When you get the 31 Ltd, and don't like it, let me know!
JP
03-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My FA 43 ltd is the sharpest lens I own or have used.

cheers
03-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
My FA 43 ltd is the sharpest lens I own or have used.

cheers
Hey Nulla,
When you get this 31mm Ltd, please do post some pics along with some taken with the 43 Ltd.
What do you use/prefer using the 43 Ltd for?

JP

03-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Are you sure that is not a focus BF/FF issue? Mine is sharp...
03-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought the DA40 covered FF.

mike
03-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I thought the DA40 covered FF.

mike
Correct me people if I am wrong, but the DA and DA* are specific for the smaller APS-C sensor while the FA/FA* is(are) fully useable for both APS-C and FF?

JP

03-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's my understanding too.
03-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, it so happens that the DA 40 is usable on film bodies, any that can handle its lack of an aperture ring. Some have measured vignetting at the edges, but I don't see it, even with the hood on.

Henry, have you compared the 43 at f/2.8 and up? I would think it would be pretty good. Me, I am darn happy with the sharpness and color of my 40, but I have heard the soft call of the 43. The 31, now THAT's a peice of glass I would love toget hold of...
03-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Well, it so happens that the DA 40 is usable on film bodies, any that can handle its lack of an aperture ring. Some have measured vignetting at the edges, but I don't see it, even with the hood on.
Thanks for clearing that up!
Henry, have you compared the 43 at f/2.8 and up? I would think it would be pretty good. Me, I am darn happy with the sharpness and color of my 40, but I have heard the soft call of the 43. The 31, now THAT's a peice of glass I would love toget hold of...
Nick, do you mean that the 43 Ltd lacks a bit in sharpness?

JP
03-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The FA43 is not sharp wide open whether on film or DSLR. With APS-C, it is pretty sharp from f2.8 up. However, its barrel distortion and the lack of edge/corner sharpness show on film, something are hidden from APS-C.
03-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 40 shows a funny distortion at the corners when used on film, which is not due to the bokeh - its not that noticeable, but see the bottom corners of the three pictures.

My FA 43 is very sharp, even wide open. I have tried the two before, and have not qualms with either on sharpness. Prefer the FA 43 for the handling and better compatibility with film cameras, and also the extra speed!

03-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hey Nulla,
When you get this 31mm Ltd, please do post some pics along with some taken with the 43 Ltd.
What do you use/prefer using the 43 Ltd for?

JP

Have you got the right person

I have had my FA31 for a time now... maybe you are mistaking me for the original poster

Neil
03-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
DA 40 shows a funny distortion at the corners when used on film, which is not due to the bokeh - its not that noticeable, but see the bottom corners of the three pictures.

Thanks, this should put to bed the argument DA40 is good for film or FF.
Maybe okay to non-critical eyes, but if Pentax were to market it as FF suitable they would get bombarded with nasty criticism
03-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed

I have them both, and like them for different reasons. For me the FA is a special portrait lens, for close-ups and head shots, and my copy is very sharp from f2.8 and on. And I use the DA as one of my walk-around lenses for its extremely quick focus and uniquely rich colors.

But I concur on the overall value, If I had to keep just one of these two it would be the DA.