Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow - awesome response! Thanks guys!

Conditions typically are OK for shooting. Ohio isn't the sunshine state, but most days should be good. We also typically wakeboard in calm conditions, if it isn't calm, we will surf. Those shots will be close and won't need a zoom lense.

As far as pictures goes, you are right, I am not looking to get the family BBQing on the shoreline, but I also want to get some of the scene, ie: the entire wakeboarder, the water to show the height of the rider - typically 6-8 feet above the water. But, the distance that the shot will require will be consistant.

Money is a concern, I can budget roughly 300ish for a lense (I need to keep some extra cash around for boat gas!)

Bdery, you are saying that the 300 is unecessary for this application, in your experience, a 135 lense would be sufficient. But, at the same time, if this will be my only other lense (for some time anyway) what is recemmended.

Primarily, I will be using the zoom lense for wakeboarding, but for other things as well. I would like something that is generally easy to use and is decent in some lower light applications. The current lense doesn't seem to perform as well in lower light (probably user error as I am new and still learning)

Thanks again to all who have helped so far! I truly appreciate it......and can't wait for your help to make a final decision.

03-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got the 55-300 ED lens and it's very small, easy enough to handhold in good light. Whatever lens you use in the boat, it will help to use fast shutter speeds, you should not have a problem. Video is nice, but it may be a problem getting good stills from video. Firstm I will say that I don't have a kx and have not seen any video shot from one. My video experience comes from shooting a Canon GL1 video camera which is a low end professional digital video camera that uses mini DV tape. Good stills are hard to get from that kind of video. That's because video is made to view at 24 (or more) frames per second. Now the kx may capture video differently, but to have high quality stills from video, it would need a burst speed of 24 fps when shooting stills. This is just a theory from my experience, maybe you can debunk it with your kx. What part of Ohio?
03-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Lens length=20(distance/height) =20(80/8)=200mm

I recommend the 55-300mm lens, which is about as long as can be hand-held for little birds, far away.
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, i might jump into the 55-300. From reviews that I researched, it appears to be a more versitile and generally 'better' lense than the 200.

RamseyBuckeye, I live in Toledo, Ohio. We boat on the Maumee River.

Thanks again for all your help guys! I still welcome any other suggestions as I will wait to purchase the new lense until sometime next week. Have a great weekend!

03-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Important piece of advice:

Don't drop it in the water.

You might even considering teathering the strap to the boat with some string or something, so you can pull it out fast, just in case.

It's not saltwater, so that helps.
03-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nboard10 Quote
I live in Toledo, Ohio. We boat on the Maumee River.
I live in Elida (Lima area). I may take a day to go up to the Grand Rapids area and take some river shots this coming Summer or Fall. Enjoy your new lens!
03-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi and welcome,

I would go for the 300. I had the 200 and as someone else mentioned, I always found myself wanting more! Of course, I still want more, but not wanting to spend the thousands to get it whereas the 300 is far more economical.

Also make sure to get a fantastic UV circular polarizer. It will take the glare off the water and protect your lens (think: bouncy boat means possible banging into things).

Here's a photo of me wiping out while tubing, snapped by my wife standing on a dock on the shore. I was a good 200-250 yards out and completely surprised that she got this one (both at her and the lens Not a shot against my lovely, but she's even more of a camera noob than I am

I blew the exposure corrected version to a 11 x 14 for my wall lol

not that I needed a reminder of the neck pain... I felt that for a few weeks - doh!

Last edited by Keebler; 04-05-2015 at 04:44 PM.
03-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
hi again,

something else I thought of after our experiences on the water:

wait until the boat turns around so the boat's heading into the sun so you're back is to it while you're looking at the boarder

try different angled shots - standing up or kneeling on a seat and down low right along the boat line or half crouching behind the motor.

For the 'in the air' jump shots, try to anticipate it and zoom out a touch more to capture the water coming off the rider and board

and of course, later into the day towards sunset can produce some colourful sky backgrounds in the summer for being on the water.

03-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

this was taken @ 300mm: