Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Strange observation with the FA 100-300 f/4.7-5.8

Ok so I was cleaning the rear element of my new lens in an attempt to figure out why this lens was nowhere near as sharp as advertised. While doing so, I felt a "click" and the pictures I took afterwards were very good. Also noticed something else, visible noise at ISO 1600 (something I was used to but never observed with this lens).

Apparently something was misaligned back where which caused focus to be correct (I checked) but the image to still be very..."not sharp" (it looked like crap)

Anyone have an explanation or similar situation? If I remember and am motivated enough, i'll post some "before" and "after" pictures

03-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting! I'll be watching this thread, cause I have this lens and love it. It is really cheap and clunky feeling lens - it wouldn't surprise me to hear that it's just not that solid in construction. Damn it gives nice photos though

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
Ok so I was cleaning the rear element of my new lens in an attempt to figure out why this lens was nowhere near as sharp as advertised. While doing so, I felt a "click" and the pictures I took afterwards were very good. Also noticed something else, visible noise at ISO 1600 (something I was used to but never observed with this lens).

Apparently something was misaligned back where which caused focus to be correct (I checked) but the image to still be very..."not sharp" (it looked like crap)

Anyone have an explanation or similar situation? If I remember and am motivated enough, i'll post some "before" and "after" pictures
03-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have this lens too~~~but mine color is champagne marked "Assembled in Vietnam".
I want to know which palce your lens made in. Taiwan? Vietnam? or Japan?
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Since it looks like this thread may end up with quality comparison discussion, I'll put in my stats: Mine is also silver/champagne colored and made in Taiwan.

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenChou Quote
I have this lens too~~~but mine color is champagne marked "Assembled in Vietnam".
I want to know which palce your lens made in. Taiwan? Vietnam? or Japan?

03-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #5

I've got this lens and love it. I got it for a silly price on ebay. I have heard that the manufacturing quality of this lens is really inconsistent, but my copy is spot on. The info on my lens is : Silver, made in Taiwan, S/N 6017042.
03-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by older not wiser Quote
I've got this lens and love it. I got it for a silly price on ebay. I have heard that the manufacturing quality of this lens is really inconsistent, but my copy is spot on.
My experience as well - spot on and crazy inexpensive I imagine it to be one very underrated lens! The review thread for it here at the forums speak very highly of it, which is why I searched one out

My favorite photo with it so far:

03-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #7

Good photo. Proof that pictures can speak louder than words.

03-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice, this was on my list to get but I wanted to see comparisons of it and the standard 70-300mm zooms.
03-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by older not wiser Quote
Good photo. Proof that pictures can speak louder than words.
Indeed You can't judge this lens by its silver, plastic cover ;D It has given me beautiful photos so far.

Don't doubt that it's got fabulous color, too (slight glow is PP - look at the leaves to see how sharp the lens actually is)

Also a really smooth velvety bokeh, too Some of my favorite portraits of my kids have been shot with this lens.