Never 88.60%
Only when needed (state your reason) 1010.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do no use the hood unless some very rare situations. The hood adds some bulk to the camera (+lens). I value very highly my mobility and flexibility to move around quickly to get the better shot. (It is not rare that I have to run to chase a wave or an animal.)

The lack of hood has some disadvantages already stated, and I simply try to minimise the amount of fares by changing my position relative to the sun.

Everyone is different and has different needs ....

03-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Yes, you are missing something. Obviously the hood will not help against flare, if you shoot directly into the sun. Ben
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you lose cotrast when the front element is strucked by the sun at certain angles. I think the error here is you might had thought that a lens hood would work if you shoot directly at the sun which would obviously hit the front element.

the idea of having a lenshood is to block the streaking stray light.

Yeah thats what i did to test thats why i couldnt see any difference..
03-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I use a hood whenever the shot is important to me. Which is 99% of the time.
If t doesn't do any harm being on the camera, and yet might being left off it's almost silly to not use it.
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #19

I almost always put the lens hood on if only for added protection.

03-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I always use a hood. For protection just as much as stopping stray light. I never use UV filters. I ordered the 52mm PH-RBA hood for my DA-L 18-55 lens that Pentax no longer includes with the kit I also use that same hood on my DA 50-200 as the stock hood (PH-RBB) from that vignettes a lot.
03-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Yeah thats what i did to test thats why i couldnt see any difference..
had you done a re-test by shooting at multiple angles (sun at 10-3 o' clock) ? anyway, I think you don't have to since your query had been answered already. anyway, it would also help to know what particular effective lens to use for such scenarios. usually a deep lens hood is recommended under strong lighting and a wide hood for wide angles.
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I answered "Always", but there are some exceptions.

Shooting a wide lens (and some teles with big front elements and hoods) with the popup flash, where the hood will block some of the flash.

Shooting macros, especially with my new Metz 15 MS1, whose adapters will not allow the hood to be fixed with the dedicated macros I have (D FA 100, Sigma EX 180). These are the only reasons that come to mind where I don't shoot with the hood, but there might be others.

The primary reason I use hoods is for front element protection. I know that they can reduce flare and can increase contrast, so I have confidence that my lenses will already be set up for this if the circumstances arise where they come into play.

Scott

03-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The difference can be *huge* in the situations where it matters, but it doesn't always matter. Obviously, your test happened to be of a case where it didn't.

I'd say if you're sufficiently expert to be able to predict in advance when it will be needed and when it won't, and have plenty of time to waste constantly putting your hood on and taking it off, then by all means, only put it on when needed. For the rest of us, it makes far more sense to just leave it on all the time.

Here's an example, BTW, of a before & after shot. The before is with no hood. The after is with my hand substituting for a hood, since I didn't own a hood for the lens I was using (BTW,you do realize you can't use any old hood on any old lens - the hood has to be well matched to the lens or it might not provide any benefit). The main advantage of a hood over your hand is that it's more foolproof - half my attempts to use my hand resulted in a finger in the shot.

No hood:

With hand substituting for hood:

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 03-27-2010 at 01:24 PM.
03-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mark shows the reason why. Greatly improved contrast.

someone posted a great thread with I think an FA 50mm with and without a hood and the change in contrast.

I have hoods for almost all my lenses, but the one thing that bothers me is that many lens makers (including pentax) don;t offer unique hoods for ASP-C and Full frame, on full frame lenses.

due to the different coverage the hood could be much deeper on my Sigma 70-200F2.8, my Tamron 28-65 F2.5 and my SMC- FA J 18 -35 since these lenses are all full frame and the tulip hoods are designed based on full frame, not ASP_C sensor

I have also bought some very nice (but expensive B&W 960 series aluminum hoods) which I use on my older MF lenses in place of the standard hoods for th esame reason
03-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

depends on the lens for me.

The M 85mm always has its hood on if nothing more than because it looks like it means business with it on. That and for protection. I never shoot in situations where a hood would actually benifit my images anyways.

My M 50mm never has a hood attached because its just so small, and the hood ruins the overal compact feel.

My sigma 105mm again never has its hood on because of the recessed front element.

My DA 55-300mm/DA 18-55mm always have their hoods on because A - the 18-55 no longer has its front cap and B - the 55-300mm can have its front cap and hood on reversed meaning it doesn't really add any bulk so its always on the lens.

My M 200mm has a built in hood so....
03-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
There are many reasons to use lens hood:
a) protection of the front element (I don't use the filters)
b) preventing strait light entering the lens and therefore reducing contrast and maybe offsetting the exposure
c) preventing flare... SMC lenses are quite good with this anyway, but good lenshood makes difference. Imagine room with many spotlights scenario

frankly, the only lens for which I don't use lens hood all the time is my 31ltd and the only reason is that I haven't found one that I would like yet...
+1. I voted for number 3 because it depends on the lens and scenario. I sometimes use filters depending on scenario as well. Therefore, "The only as needed" can be a lot of the time and the arrangement of the poll could leave some people to mean "on occasion."
03-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #27
Forum Member

I am still quite the "newbie", but I definitely use hoods on my lenses.

I am not the most coordinated person in the world, and love knowing I have some protection.

Also, kids and dogs, frequent subjects for me, absolutely have to touch the front of the lens, it's like a magnet to them!

But really, I started using lenses because it was always advised. When I got some Takumar lenses, I was pointed to heavystar.com for after market hoods. I really like the metal ones that have their own cap, that's a nice touch.

I do have a question though, is there any formula for knowing if the hood is the right fit when buying one?
03-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I use a hood 100% of the time. The difference can be quite dramatic without one.

c[_]
03-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I always use a hood unless I'm using a filter that precludes using one. The manufacturers provide them for a reason, eh?
03-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
had you done a re-test by shooting at multiple angles (sun at 10-3 o' clock) ? anyway, I think you don't have to since your query had been answered already. anyway, it would also help to know what particular effective lens to use for such scenarios. usually a deep lens hood is recommended under strong lighting and a wide hood for wide angles.
Havent done any re-testing yet, I saw the difference w/ Marc's samples. But ill try your suggestion next time.